Do you approve of Non-Profit Agencies?

Write4U2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
it-is-written4u.spaces.live.com
Do you support non-profits? Do you give money to them? What agencies do you think do the best work? What about administrative costs? Do you donate time, money? How do you decide which agency deserves your support?
I donate money monthly to our local animal shelter. It's in my budget.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'm on the board of a nonprofit, so yes, I give money to that one and several others. We give away just over 10% of our annual HHI.

Most nonprofits can give you an Annual Report if anyone is concerned about administrative costs.

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
I support non-profits and serve on one. The good ones are essential to our success as a nation. In a tight economy, they will suffer. I encourage all that can give to give.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
No. I don't. I give money to people I know that need it.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
People should be aware of the value of non-profit agencies. At one time in my checkered career, I was director of an agency that handled problems of the rural homeless and a few other housing issues. Without my agency, many individuals and families would have been left to fend for themselves without benefit of advocacy. One of the important things my agency did was to direct clients, who might otherwise be unaware, as to where to go for assistance and what their rights were. Although the county which hosted the agency was small, around 27,000 people, during one year the agency served something like 370 families and countless individuals in housing distress. We operated a homeless shelter, a job program, a transitional living center, and we networked with other agencies whose service orientation was different than our own. Usually grant funding has an 80/20 split: 80% of monies going to client services and 20% to administrative costs. Agencies affiliated directly with churches usually have an easier time of it financially because church members and church administration are more comfortable providing financial support. Grant funded agencies are constantly on the lookout for possible funding for proposed projects and have a harder time finding financial support. If you're considering donating to a non-profit agency, you should investigate the group and their service orientation along with length of time of operation, clientele, etc. When you're comfortable with a group, don't hesitate to lend them a hand. If financial donation is difficult, most are looking for volunteers and happy to have them. Depending on focus, some accept food donations, clothing donations, and sometimes furniture, etc. On one occasion, a local furniture store donated 12 mattresses to our group. We were extremely grateful and the ones we couldn't use in our shelter went to our clients who were happily moving into their own quarters. My best advice? Give. You'll never regret it.

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I serve as a volunteer for one, and am an officer and volunteer for another. That said, some I will support, some I won't. It doesn't take much to create a non-profit organization, and maybe there isn't enough policing of them. (Maybe not. I waffle a lot on that point.)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
For me it depends. It depends entirely on the salary of the CEO of the agency and the percentage of annual donated funds that serve the purpose they were supposed to serve. Yeah, yeah--I know all about having to have staff and paper clips and so forth. But a NPO where over 40% of donated funds go to salaries and 'administrative funds?'

Nope. Not for me.

That being said, I've tended to serve my community with donated time to specific organizations rather than financial contributions.

Finni

discipula vitae
Registered
Reaction score
I donate 10% of what I have. One non-profit I donate to is for reptiles who have been abused or injured while in captivity. I donate to my local Buddhist monastery, an Irish non-profit, and once in a while I buy a book and give it to an organization that gives it to a kid. (so maybe I give more than 10%. Who knows)

I think it is very important to give, even if we have little. If we have nothing then we can give our time. If we do not have time we can give our words.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I volunteer (and donate money) for a nonprofit and thinking of joining their board. They deal with homeless people, including families and children (you'll be surprised at how many children are homeless) -- providing transitional/permanent housing and case support -- and people living with AIDS.

That being said, I've tended to serve my community with donated time to specific organizations rather than financial contributions.

Many organizations (such as the one I mentioned) need the contributions. With the cut in federal and state funding, they're all working on a very tight budget and some are even in the red. They really need private donations and support. They have at least a dozen fundraisers, large and small, each year and they're still just getting by. The staff are working for scrap, really, consideringhow much they work and the work they do to help. And then there are the volunteers.

I understand why someone would be hesitant, saying "why not 100% funds go to the needy"? The fact is, people need to do work for these causes, and most people can't do work for free -- at least not for a long time. But the work they do is very important and without them, the ones they help will fall through the crack faster than sand. I'm proud to say that with the org I volunteer at, 85% of the funds go to the needy -- they have a relatively small staff and everyone works over time not because it's a great paying job (most can probably earn much, much more in private sectors) but because they believe in what they're doing.

I suggest if you're interested in an organization, go volunteer and watch what they do and how they do it and see if the money is well spent or truly wasted on "administrative expenses." I'd rather show my support for my pet causes who REALLY need our help than some fluffy organizations with its mostly middle-class members...

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
We support animal welfare non-profits with donations (and goodness knows I've adopted all the litte critters I can squeeze into this house!) and three non-profits will split what's left of our estate when we die (my nieces and nephews will be soooooo surprised). We choose based on need, sometimes with ongoing donations, sometimes with one-time emergency funds.

The coolest thing I've found in a long time, however, is Kiva. It's a way to provide micro-loans person-to-person. The best part (aside from helping someone work his/her way out of poverty) is that I can invest $100 (or as little as $25) by lending it out and when it's paid back, I can lend it over and over and over again. And if I ever decide I don't want to loan it out anymore, I get it back. All of it. So far, Ol' Boy and I have helped 10 different folks in third-world countries with loans for fabric, building materials, supplies, goats, cattle, and an ox. I got started when I read about a woman in South America who wanted to borrow a grand total of $25 for seed to grow food for her family and to sell at a farmers market. I literally wept - Ol' Boy and I piss that much away on a book or a couple of CDs. The link's in my sig, if you're interested in checking them out.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Yes, I approve of Non Profit Agencies, and I raise my hat to those who work hard for a good cause. I work in a Council for Voluntary Service(we are a Charity), and we work on several projects, that are funded by various sources. We mostly have to raise the money ourselfs if we want to improve the lifes of others in the community. We specify in all areas, and our Volunteer hub offers the chance for anyone to get involved in various aspects.

At the moment I am working on a project to improve the quality of life of older people in the community, by supporting them to maintain their health and well-being and encouraging them to involve themselfs in the community, preventing them from becoming isolated and vulnurable. Our Network is encouraging local community groups to join together for the better running of these services. All the groups are volunteered led. It's interesting as we have never really raised money, the funding seems to come from the trustees or sources which are willing to help us, as they see the good we are doing. The people are what drives this Charity, and I believe that is where the genuinity of the work lies. :)

I have taken on my own project within this. I have been one core member of running several computer courses for over 55's. I've really enjoyed this, and made some wonderful friends, just by giving my help to those who needed to use a computer. Also involved in another volunteering project, to encourage a variety of local ethnic minority older people to join together every week in a Friendly environment, away from prayers so that they can make new friends and get to know other people from other cultures. :)