On deadline! Please help ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
The nightclub vibe is decidedly low key and jazzy, and multiple VIP areas are available for those red carpet kind of nights.

Do I need hyphens between any of the last five words? I've seen the same sort of thing written with and without.

I'm thinking: red carpet-kind of nights.

veronie

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.preferredword.com
You don't need one.

(If anything, you could hyphenate like this: red-carpet kind of nights. But, you can get away without a hyphen.)

Last edited:

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to those who added their 2 cents. I tend to agree with Veronie and decided to drop the hyphen altogether.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
red carpet

The nightclub vibe is decidedly low key and jazzy, and multiple VIP areas are available for those red carpet kind of nights.

Do I need hyphens between any of the last five words? I've seen the same sort of thing written with and without.

I'm thinking: red carpet-kind of nights.

I suggest red-carpet kind of nights

veronie

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.preferredword.com
I suppose since you were on deadline that it is already out of your hands. Going with "red-carpet kind of nights" definitely would be OK. The reason I said you could get by without a hyphen was two-fold:

First, how often to hyphenate compound modifiers is a little bit up to the writer. There are some phrases that really need hyphenation to avoid confusion (small-business owner). While others are used so often and are clear enough that you can get by without one (day care center). Some people like to hyphenate every compound modifier, even if the phrase is clear without one.Then there are those who never hyphenate unless they absolutely must. I am closer to the camp that hyphenates liberally, but I still let some phrases go without hyphenation if they are sufficiently clear. And, I thought your example was clear enough and didn't need one.

Second, I brought your sentence up to a fellow newspaper editor before I made my post. He also didn't think there needed to be a hyphen, but he is a part of the camp that never hyphenates unless they can't get around it. So, I kind of knew where he would be on the issue.

Hope that clarifies things a little.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.