What do you make of this?

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I replied to a posting about a private internet critique group, and after being accepted they asked me to scan my driver's license and email it to them.

That seems a little shifty to me. What do you think?

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Sounds like something is fishy to me. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't give it to them. There are just too many scammers out there that will do who knows what with that sort of information. Have you shared your work here?

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I replied to a posting about a private internet critique group, and after being accepted they asked me to scan my driver's license and email it to them.

That seems a little shifty to me. What do you think?

Don't do it.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
It may be something as innocent as a member just left and has been trolling the group and they want to ensure that you are NOT that person coming back to do damage with such proof? But, this seems really wack to me, even if that is the case. You should be able to provide some bare bones info about yourself without your actual DL going over the net in email to anyone.

Identity theft can be done without a SSAN. With access to your DOB and your full name they can search a few data bases and find your criminal history and other personal information they do not need for you to be a member of their group. It is not a far leap to get your SSAN with your DL number and DOB and full name. It takes more time than if they have your SSAN, but it can be done. They can also set up a fake SSAN and go to work with your other info without even using your SSAN.

I would be wary. Are they all willing to scan and send their DLs to you FIRST? That would be telling. Although if it is a theft group, that may not be a problem for them as they likely have tons of IDs.

Just be careful and protect your private information and do what you think is best for you. Maybe you can find another crit group that will not require such information for membership?

Good luck!

Christine

dageezer

I've done nothing wrong....
Registered
Reaction score
DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!!

I wouldn't even send them a DL of a person I really hated. (OK, maybe I would)

Unless they can explain to your complete satisfaction why they need it, don't do ti. Even after their explination, I still wouldn't do it.

grrrrrshon

Registered
Reaction score
I would answer this question, but I'm going to need you to scan and send to me your drivers license and a visa card.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. Well they said they wanted my real name and DL to "ensure" protection of work. I can't believe scammers would dupe so low as to con starving writers these days. Sheesh.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. Well they said they wanted my real name and DL to "ensure" protection of work.

oh bullshit.

p.s. surely there are critters 'round here you can hang with. They might frisk ya, but that's as far as it'll go. (I'm kidding.) Go over to Share Your Work and take a look, if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
What she said...

Tell 'em you'll send them a copy of your DL just as soon as you receive a FEDEX'd copy of their DNA.
Hey...it's the ultimate proof of identity.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Or...scan it, omit your pix, name, & other valid info and tell them you trust them as much as they trust you :}

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe scammers would dupe so low as to con starving writers these days. Sheesh.

Oh, yes--yes they would.

I would demonstrate my colorful imagination and writing prowess by telling them, in some detail, what they can do to themselves.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
IMO it is obviously a scam.
Some advice at:
http://www.myseniorsite.ca/driving-dlfraud.htm
A driver's license has become a universally accepted and trusted form of identification. If your driver's license is stolen, obtained fraudulently, scanned or faked, it can serve as a tool for committing crime.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Whether it is actively dishonest or not, I would consider it too weird to get involved in.

Last edited:

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, let's see --- "no, no, no, no, no, no."

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why you don't either
A) make a connection with a willing beta here

or

B) joing the SYW forum. You can specify that you're looking for bunny critique, or shredding, and you can specify if you're interested in grammar critiquing, or if you're more interested in content critique.

Mac doesn't give two shits about your driver's license....well...unless it's a hot picture, and then THAT'S only so we can hire THAT DMV photographer for our AW photo album.

writin52

Registered
Reaction score
If it seems fishy, then get out the tartar sauce, it probably is! Our Betas and SYW forums are alot more safe. Hmmmmm....or are they?

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why you don't either
A) make a connection with a willing beta here

or

B) joing the SYW forum. You can specify that you're looking for bunny critique, or shredding, and you can specify if you're interested in grammar critiquing, or if you're more interested in content critique.

Mac doesn't give two shits about your driver's license....well...unless it's a hot picture, and then THAT'S only so we can hire THAT DMV photographer for our AW photo album.
*Thread drift*

Inky,
If you don't put your legs down you're gonna get a headache.

I already have one…;)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Cyber, if you think it's not right, it's NOT. Definitely don't do it, k. They don't need that private info.