PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of this?

Cybernaught
07-19-2008, 09:15 PM
I replied to a posting about a private internet critique group, and after being accepted they asked me to scan my driver's license and email it to them.

That seems a little shifty to me. What do you think?

joyce
07-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Sounds like something is fishy to me. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't give it to them. There are just too many scammers out there that will do who knows what with that sort of information. Have you shared your work here?

nerds
07-19-2008, 09:54 PM
I replied to a posting about a private internet critique group, and after being accepted they asked me to scan my driver's license and email it to them.

That seems a little shifty to me. What do you think?

Don't do it.

willfulone
07-19-2008, 10:00 PM
It may be something as innocent as a member just left and has been trolling the group and they want to ensure that you are NOT that person coming back to do damage with such proof? But, this seems really wack to me, even if that is the case. You should be able to provide some bare bones info about yourself without your actual DL going over the net in email to anyone.

Identity theft can be done without a SSAN. With access to your DOB and your full name they can search a few data bases and find your criminal history and other personal information they do not need for you to be a member of their group. It is not a far leap to get your SSAN with your DL number and DOB and full name. It takes more time than if they have your SSAN, but it can be done. They can also set up a fake SSAN and go to work with your other info without even using your SSAN.

I would be wary. Are they all willing to scan and send their DLs to you FIRST? That would be telling. Although if it is a theft group, that may not be a problem for them as they likely have tons of IDs.

Just be careful and protect your private information and do what you think is best for you. Maybe you can find another crit group that will not require such information for membership?

Good luck!

Christine

dageezer
07-19-2008, 10:58 PM
DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!!

I wouldn't even send them a DL of a person I really hated. (OK, maybe I would)

Unless they can explain to your complete satisfaction why they need it, don't do ti. Even after their explination, I still wouldn't do it.

grrrrrshon
07-19-2008, 11:18 PM
I would answer this question, but I'm going to need you to scan and send to me your drivers license and a visa card.

Cybernaught
07-19-2008, 11:39 PM
LOL. Well they said they wanted my real name and DL to "ensure" protection of work. I can't believe scammers would dupe so low as to con starving writers these days. Sheesh.

nerds
07-19-2008, 11:44 PM
LOL. Well they said they wanted my real name and DL to "ensure" protection of work.

oh bullshit.

p.s. surely there are critters 'round here you can hang with. They might frisk ya, but that's as far as it'll go. (I'm kidding.) Go over to Share Your Work and take a look, if you haven't already.

Inky
07-19-2008, 11:47 PM
What she said...

Tell 'em you'll send them a copy of your DL just as soon as you receive a FEDEX'd copy of their DNA.
Hey...it's the ultimate proof of identity.

Robert Toy
07-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Send them this link and ask them to please fill in the form.

https://complaint.ic3.gov/default.aspx

HeronW
07-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Or...scan it, omit your pix, name, & other valid info and tell them you trust them as much as they trust you :}

kct webber
07-20-2008, 12:46 AM
I can't believe scammers would dupe so low as to con starving writers these days. Sheesh.

Oh, yes--yes they would.

I would demonstrate my colorful imagination and writing prowess by telling them, in some detail, what they can do to themselves.

Cybernaught
07-20-2008, 01:19 AM
Haha, I think I want to Scambait these guys. That's so fun.

Matera the Mad
07-20-2008, 04:11 AM
IMO it is obviously a scam.
Some advice at:
http://www.myseniorsite.ca/driving-dlfraud.htm

A driver's license has become a universally accepted and trusted form of identification. If your driver's license is stolen, obtained fraudulently, scanned or faked, it can serve as a tool for committing crime.

veinglory
07-20-2008, 04:25 AM
Whether it is actively dishonest or not, I would consider it too weird to get involved in.

Williebee
07-20-2008, 04:39 AM
I like Robert Toy's idea.

They're either scamming, or they aren't. But if they aren't? They are incredibly naive about the internet.

scope
07-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Uh, let's see --- "no, no, no, no, no, no."

Chameleon
07-20-2008, 09:51 AM
I'd say find another critique group. It's not worth the possible hassle!

Inky
07-20-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm trying to figure out why you don't either
A) make a connection with a willing beta here

or

B) joing the SYW forum. You can specify that you're looking for bunny critique, or shredding, and you can specify if you're interested in grammar critiquing, or if you're more interested in content critique.

Mac doesn't give two shits about your driver's license....well...unless it's a hot picture, and then THAT'S only so we can hire THAT DMV photographer for our AW photo album.

writin52
07-20-2008, 01:38 PM
If it seems fishy, then get out the tartar sauce, it probably is! Our Betas and SYW forums are alot more safe. Hmmmmm....or are they?

Robert Toy
07-20-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm trying to figure out why you don't either
A) make a connection with a willing beta here

or

B) joing the SYW forum. You can specify that you're looking for bunny critique, or shredding, and you can specify if you're interested in grammar critiquing, or if you're more interested in content critique.

Mac doesn't give two shits about your driver's license....well...unless it's a hot picture, and then THAT'S only so we can hire THAT DMV photographer for our AW photo album.
*Thread drift*

Inky,
If you don't put your legs down you're gonna get a headache.

I already have one;)

Inky
07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
That's 'cause you're tilting your head, trying ta' see mi' boobies.

Freak!

Robert Toy
07-20-2008, 03:23 PM
:D

Susie
07-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Cyber, if you think it's not right, it's NOT. Definitely don't do it, k. They don't need that private info.

robeiae
07-21-2008, 02:56 AM
Alright, alright, alright, already! Enough! You don't need to send me your DL! Just cut off a pinky toe and send that, instead...

Maryn
07-21-2008, 04:46 AM
I'm running out of toes, though. Will my thumb be okay, Robeieio?

Maryn, no longer all-thumbs

Pagey's_Girl
07-21-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm running out of toes, though. Will my thumb be okay, Robeieio?

Maryn, no longer all-thumbs

"Just put me ina wheel chair and get me to the show, huryy hurry hurry before I go loco,
I can't control my fingers, I can't control my toes..."

*ahem* But I digress...

There's a fanfiction site (don't flay me :) ) that awhile back adopted this "really expensive program from a lawyer" that required you to register all kinds of personal info before you could log in. It was supposed to "protect (them) against underagers infltrating the site and forcing it to shut down." I suspect it ended up making people so paranoid that they just didn't log on there anymore. That might be the liss sinister explanation for what they're doing, but it's still not smart.

ETA - make that LESS sinister. Although I have an excuse - I'm typing with a sprained right wrist. I thought I hurt it a bit picking up a heavy brick tile yesterday, and then about three AM I woke up in some serious pain. I have it all wraped up, but it still doesn't feel good...