All Stars List: Midgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm putting together a reading list for my fifth/sixth graders, and I need input. There are probably some really incredible books that either aren't prominently displayed at the neighborhood B&N or are ones I wouldn't think about for some other reason. Right now my only "must" is My Side of the Mountain, which I dearly loved at ten. I need about a dozen or so more, and I'd like to include a wide genre range, with at least one biography.
Feel free to suggest your own, if you've written one-- I'd be thrilled to support my fellow AWers.

Suggestions?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
My son's in fifth grade. This is what he's reading at the moment:

The Hobbit ( Again. He's obbsessed with it lol)
The Odyssey
Beowulf
The Arthurian Legends
The Carpet People ( Terry Pratchett kids book)
Anything about Dr Who of course.
Attack of the Vampirates

I'm sensing a theme here. :)

He's also into the Horrible History series. There's a USA one which includes such gems as why cowboys declared war on sheep.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Is the Travels of Jamie McPheeters by Robert Lewis Taylor still taught? I always liked that, but I don't know what age level. It's a Pulitzer winner.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Sigh. I am shameless.

My book "Alex and the Ironic Gentleman" is for just that age range, about a girl rescuing her grade six teacher from pirates. And I do happen to know that many teachers have read it to their classes. The paperback is out in a few weeks. Both it and the hardcover though should be available at B&N, but here's the amazon link in case: http://www.amazon.com/dp/160286005X/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

And self promotion over now!

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Aw thanks hon! Probably would have been better not coming from me . . . lol!

It goes very against the grain for me to self promote, my whole family are the kind of people who think "Let's just leave people to make up their minds for themselves." But I am learning, if I don't talk up my book . . . who will?

Still . . . it's difficult.

Finni

discipula vitae
Registered
Reaction score
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

To be a Slave by Julius Lester

The Epic of Gilgamesh

The Aeneid by Virgil

Life of Pi

Johnny Tremain

The Day the World Came to Town

If I had a kid those are the books I would want him/her to read. I might think of more.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
Two books I really enjoyed at that age (I can't believe that was six grades ago), was
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle
and
Quarter Pie Window by Marianne Brandis.
I was also starting to get into classic literature like Shakespear and Jane Austen and Falkner, and stuff like that.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I really like Megan Whelan Turner's "The Thief" and Sarah Prineas's new book "The Magic Thief."

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
A few off the top of my head:

Ella Enchanted and The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (they sound like girl books, but when we listened to them on tape my son liked them too)

I Was a Sixth Grade Alien (and its many sequels) by Bruce Coville (my third grader just checked this out of the library, and my 17yo son picked it up and started re-reading it. He loved it when he was in 5th grade or so!)

The Indian in the Cupboard and its many sequels

Catherine, Called Birdy
The Bronze Bow
Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix
The Shadow Children books by Margaret Peterson Haddix (I think my daughter read the first one in public school middle school)

Someone else already mentioned Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time, but she has a lot more kids'/YA books, including a series about Meg and Calvin's daughter Polly.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Great suggestions, everyone, thanks! Toothpaste, don't feel awkward about self-promotion here, of all places. Your book is definitely worth picking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.