Costing a self published book

Status
Not open for further replies.

hastingspress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hastingspress.co.uk
I know a lot of people ask the questions: how much does it cost to self publish a book and when, if ever, will I break even?

Six weeks ago I published my latest book "Notable Sussex Women", a collection of short biographies of women who lived in my county. You can find out everything about it here http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/sussexwomen.html and using the links you can see reviews, press cuttings etc.

Cost of printing was £4765 (for 2,000 copies). Additional costs were £328 for photos for use in the book and 2,000 glossy flyers. Total £5093.

(I should add as an aside that there are a few more costs here that I have not accounted for: corrugated cardboard and brown paper for packaging, petrol used while researching, books bought for research, things like website, broadband, etc, which are shared between lots of other books, but I am going to compensate for that by saying that I'm only getting £13 income per book sold, when in fact I get £20 from every direct sale.)

So, if I say that my income from each book is £13, I need to sell 392 books to repay myself the £5093 shelled out. Is everyone with me so far?

In six weeks, this is where the books have gone:

Review/sample copies 33
Given away to friends 10
Total free copies = 43

Sold in direct sales = 51
Sold to bookshops and libraries direct = 210
Sold via wholesaler = 83

Total sales ~ 344

So, when I have sold 48 more copies, I will have broken even on all my costs.

Hope this has been of help. Any questions?

Helena
http://www.hastingspress.co.uk

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Did printing cost include the artwork for the cover and buying the ISBN?

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Have you worked out the time it has taken to get to this stage? I think it would be good to try and work out how many hours your project has taken and compare it against something like the minimum average wage per hour. Then try to work out how many books you would need to sell to sustain a minimum average wage whilst working on the project.

Hope that makes sense and I would be curious. I think people give costs out without considering the expediture in time without having a regular income coming in.

JJ

hastingspress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hastingspress.co.uk
Did printing cost include the artwork for the cover and buying the ISBN?

I design all my covers myself so there is no cost for artwork.

In 2002 I bought 100 ISBNS for about £90, so each one costs me 90p.

As a hobby publisher, I have never kept track of the time spent on this project. I began the book on 1st January 2007 so it took 18 months to bring to publication. I will be expending time in publicity, giving talks, wrapping and posting, invoicing and updating the website, for some time in the future.

I've never met anyone who has made a living wage from publishing their own books. I think you could if you published really fast-selling titles. Mine are not fast-selling titles (I write what I love, not what sells quickly).

You'd need to define what you mean by "minimum average" working wage. What should a writer/researcher be paid? £6 an hour? £10? £100?

(Someone argued with me on an Ebay forum that he pays himself £20 ($40) an hour just for wrapping and labelling and going to the post office. This is the kind of unskilled labour that you'd do if you took an office job paying £6 a hour!)

Last edited:

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
When the question was submitted 'when would you break even', it had me thinking of all of the unpaid hours labouring over your work with research, writing, editing, building up a reader base with marketting etc. So I just figured going on total outputs in costs and measuring against total sales wouldn't be all that representative with the lost time in potential wages elsewhere type of scenario.

It seems the norm in commercial publishing is a book a year. We'll round that up to a nice figure of 1000 hours. And the minimum wage at a guess is $10.00 an hour. So we've invested $10,000.00 in time to get to publication without the associated costs as described above. I'm thinking you would need to sell at least 500 more books to break even. Not trying to sound like a smart-ass, but does that sound reasonable?

JJ

hastingspress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hastingspress.co.uk
going on total outputs in costs and measuring against total sales wouldn't be all that representative with the lost time in potential wages elsewhere.
JJ

I am a hobby publisher, I don't do it for a living and the people who approach me with questions don't intend to do it as a living, either.

To be able to give up your job and replace the lost wages from writing and selling books seems a very risky business. Who can tell which books will sell enough to bring you a living wage, not just the first year but every year? If you are already a celebrity you will be able to do it, but us normal folk ... ? I suppose if you've got an idea for a series of how-to books on a subject people are just dying to find out about you might do it.

How many books one self publisher has to sell to pay herself a living wage for all the research depends on so many factors, including what one thinks one is worth. When I work as a guest lecturer for my local university they pay me £32 an hour, so I guess that is the price tag on my head (although a museum last month paid me £200 for an hour's talk!) So if we say I am worth £32 an hour and I worked 50 hours a week for 18 months = £125,142. To make that amount I would have to sell 12,500 books at a profit of £10 each! So that's about 1,000 books a month, year in year out. What sort of book would sell 1,000 a month consistently? Harry Potter?

Helena

Robert Farley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertfarley.com
When you get right down to it, how many writers with contracts make a real living from writing alone? Like rock stars, sports stars, race car drivers, beach volleyball players, and astronauts, the number of high-end writers who own yachts and jets is much, much, much lower than the number who ply their trade evenings and weekends after their "real" jobs. Does that sound right?

As one who's had a contract and is now doing it all himself, I much prefer being able to handle the details on my own. A lot of the details are the same, contract or no. I still had to do my own press releases, book signing schedule, even getting the book into the stores in almost every case. I had no advance, no real support. The only thing my contract did was force me to parcel money to other people who didn't do much more than provide an ISBN and schedule print-on-demand copies when necessary.

I had two offers to go with independent publishers after I decided to make THRIPZ available again. Neither indie offered an advance, and both demanded to know what I was going to do to promote and market myself. Not that I have anything against that. I'm going to do it. But my way, there are at least two fewer hands out to take away part the proceeds. The agent's and the publisher's.

As for paying for the time it takes to write the book, let me ask this: has anyone here ever gone to school to learn something? You didn't get paid for that, did you? Of course, you did have to pay for it afterwards, which is not really the case for a writer who is merely spending free time writing. Yeah, you can say you are worth this much or that much when you're working, but when you're not working, you're not working. Your time is then worth nothing. It's just your time. You use it to perfect yourself.

Musicians are another example. I am one, too, and I practiced almost nonstop every second I could from the time I was eight years old. I got into bands that played bars and fairs. We made some tapes and sold them, nothing fancy. But we surely didn't make back money for the time we spent learning our instruments, or even for the time we spent practicing. Indie. (Well, drunk mostly.)

That said, I'm not giving up on latching onto an agent with connections to get me an unholy amount of an advance so that my future worry lines will be from earning back tens of thousands of dollars on my story books. But I'm certainly not going to say I need such and such an amount of advance for the many hours it has taken me to write my book. Not unless I want to be sure of having to do it all myself again.

A big tip of the hat to you, Helena, for taking control of the reins.

Robert<><>

cpickett

Registered
Reaction score
Where ever the voices in my head like to be
Website
www.brighterdaypublishing.com
I'd just like to add that if you are writing/publishing to make any kind of living you are in business. Right now, most small and micro business owners I know put in tons of time beyond their "normal business hours" to make their incomes.

If they too were to calculate it out, many would likely earn no more than they would working for someone else, maybe even less. The thing is, the payoff for them could be being their own boss, having flex time to be with kids etc. It's no different in the book biz.

For most people, you figure out what you have to do to make the amount of money you need to pay bills/break even first, then profit. In a best case scenario, the per hour looks good too, but it may not always. As long as you don't lose money and you keep sight of what you want out of the whole deal, I think you're doing okay.

hastingspress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hastingspress.co.uk
I found Robert's and Cheryl's replies most interesting.

I'd just like to add that, because a self publisher keeps all the profits, and the writer with a publishing contract only get 10%, one is more likely to be able to make a living from self publishing than being published by someone else.

But, finally, this thread isn't about making a living from writing, it's giving an example of how much it costs to self publish a luxurious hardback book, and the potential pocket money that it might make for the self publisher.

Self publishing is for most people an enjoyable hobby that might, if they do it right, turn a small profit. Most hobbies ~ look at skiing, collecting porcelain dolls ~ cost money and make no income.

Helena

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I found Robert's and Cheryl's replies most interesting.

I'd just like to add that, because a self publisher keeps all the profits, and the writer with a publishing contract only get 10%, one is more likely to be able to make a living from self publishing than being published by someone else.

Helena

My highlight. I disagree.

But this thread isn't about that and I appreciate you taking the time to let others know of your experiences.

JJ

hastingspress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hastingspress.co.uk
Let me add a bit to that!

... one is more likely to be able to make a living from self publishing than being published by someone else IF you do your marketing and distribution as well as they would have.

I'll stick by that, having turned down a publisher's contract in favour of self publishing!

Helena

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Fair enough. I don't think I would have been able to match the marketing or distribution of my publisher though.

JJ

hastingspress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hastingspress.co.uk
Well you say that, but all the people I know who have been published are disappointed with the publicity created by their publisher and ended up having to do an awful lot of it themselves, anyway.

If I had let "Railwaywomen" be published, I cannot see how the publisher could have got more sales than I did: I got reviews in every relevant publication, I got the book into all the relevant stores. They would have had to have sold ten times more books than I did for me to make the same money I did.

Helena

Status
Not open for further replies.