Bipolar and Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
I hope this is in the correct forum...but earlier this month I was diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder, and one of my first concerns is how taking medication (Zyprexa 2.5mg) will effect my writing. So far it's been a positive experience, but I've only been on the medication for about two weeks. I was wondering if anyone else here has a form of Bipolar and if you take medication, how does it effect your creative process?

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
I take Zyprexa with no problems. It doesn't stifle my creativity, it just levels me out so that I can actually get work done. Without it, I am much less productive.

That said, everyone's different. A medication that works for me won't necessarily work the same way for you. Take it, see if it helps. If you don't like the way it makes you feel, you can always discuss it with your doctor and try something else.

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
Kay Redfield-Jamieson's book An Unquiet Mind is a beautifully written memoir of living with bi-polar disorder, including much discussion of the relationship between illness, medication and creativity. If you haven't yet come across it, you might find it interesting to read. She is a psychiatrist as well as someone who lives (and writes) with bi-polar disorder.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I've changed my medication three times. The first one gave me really bad side effects and that did affect my writing - my whole life. And it didn't click in for quite some time.

So don't dispare if you start getting bad effects. Something can be done about it. And you could ask your doctor about TMS. Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. I've had it and it has certainly helped me focus my life again.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess there's nothing really to worry about, especially since so far it's been a great experience for me.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hello darrtwish,

This is a great post and one I plan to subscribe to. I am also interested in finding out how taking various medications may impact upon a person's creativity.

I wish you the best with your treatment regimen.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Status
Not open for further replies.