Toilet Music?

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Did you know that most toilets flush in the key of E flat? Just learned that yesterday. Ya' learn something new every day--I guess. Thought you all should know.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I was just askin' Ol' Boy the other day, "Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" he replied.

"That... the toilet flushing."

"Oh, gawd! Is it stopped up again? I've told you not to use so much--"

"No, no," I interrupted. "The key. Did you hear what key it's in?"

He looked at me like I was more than a tad off in the head. "Key? The toilet has a 'key'?"

"Yeah... it's musical, even. I wonder what key it's in."

And here you come to tell me!

Is it a small world, or what?

:D

freezer burned

Bananas, good sir. Bananas.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting note -- the sound an earthquake makes has a frequency so low that it can't be heard by human ears. However, when sped up, it contains the sound of a bell being rung. Oh, the useless knowledge you gain from audio production professors...

kct webber

Registered
Reaction score
You can learn some really odd shit on the History Channel, no? Modern Marvels--it's a great show.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our son, a Physics major with a particular interest in Acoustics, will love knowing this.

He's already got a multi-octave scale of singing wine glasses saved digitally, so we can still drink from my good crystal.

Any more swell sound facts I can share with him?

Maryn, who also collects such things in a broader range

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
The futuristic sound effect at the beginning and end of The Tornadoes' chart-topping 1962 instrumental single "Telstar" is purportedly the sound of a toilet flushing played in reverse.

kct webber

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, I know that porcupines scream when they fall out of trees (I saw one do it) but I don't know what key they scream in.

Joe, as soon as I heard the E flat thing, I knew that sometime, somewhere, there was someone using a toilet as a musical instrument.

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
toilet music

Maryn, I know that porcupines scream when they fall out of trees (I saw one do it) but I don't know what key they scream in.

I once listened to two porcupines making love (I hate that "mating" word they always use on nature shows). It was a duet in C sharp minor (prove I'm wrong!), like cats in the back alley. I was not surprised, porcupines being the way they are. But contrary to what some pundit once said in answer to the question about how porcupines make love, it didn't sound very careful to me.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Earthquakes can't be heard by human ears? The one we had here a while back had a definitely audible deep low rumble.

freezer burned

Bananas, good sir. Bananas.
Registered
Reaction score
Earthquakes can't be heard by human ears? The one we had here a while back had a definitely audible deep low rumble.
Was that the sound of tectonic plates in the earth's crust moving or was that the sound of those plates moving other things which, in turn, made sound?