PDA

View Full Version : Attention "roll your own" smokers!

jennifer75
07-19-2008, 03:32 AM
What are papers called? The ones you buy in a little orange package, contains about a dozen white sheets for you to roll your tobacco....I'm not looking for the word "blunt" but the actual marketed name.

It's on the tip of my tongue....but I juuuuuuuuuust caaaaaaaaaaaaant spittttttttttttttttitout!

jennifer75
07-19-2008, 03:33 AM
ZIG ZAGS!!!

I love when I can answer my own question.

alleycat
07-19-2008, 03:35 AM
I think they're just called cigarette papers. I believe the ones in the orange package is the brand Joker (but I'm not sure about that).

ETA: Jennifer posted before I could even type my response.

By the way, have you even seen an "expert" roll their own? I have. Someone who has done it for years can roll one in twenty seconds. I tried it a few times when I was younger . . . I usually ended up with a rolled up piece of paper with all the tobacco falling out of it.

jennifer75
07-19-2008, 03:55 AM
Yea. Such precision. Like a surgeon. Tuck, roll, lick.

jennifer75
07-19-2008, 03:55 AM
. I usually ended up with a rolled up piece of paper with all the tobacco falling out of it.

Oh, is that what you call it? :P

kuwisdelu
07-19-2008, 04:01 AM
Zig Zags are definitely a popular brand. Most of the people I know, though, just say "rolling paper" or "cigarette paper" unless they're asking for it at the store.

Some brands of rolling tobacco come with its own rolling paper. My personal rolling tobacco of choice is Bali Shag (Johnny Depp also smokes this), which comes with its own rolling paper in every bag.

I've only been hand-rolling them for a few months (used to use a roller), but I'm pretty quick now, and they come out about as good as they did before I started hand-rolling. Honestly, the longest part of the rolling process for me is getting the tobacco on the paper. Not that difficult, really, unless you're inside and struggling not to spill it all over the floor or table. (Also because rolling tobacco feels slightly "moist" compared to over-the-counter cigarettes--which is one way to tell it's still fresh--so it tends to clump together a little bit. If it starts to go stale, that poses its own problem of the tobacco falling apart and going everywhere...)

Once the tobaccos on the paper, I can roll it in twenty seconds, easy.

Siddow
07-19-2008, 04:43 AM
We always used these (http://www.rollingpapers.net/Job/Job.htm) and called them "One point five's" (for the size we wanted).

elissa
07-19-2008, 05:06 AM
We always called them either "papers" or "zig-zags." For tobacco, mostly just used the ones with the tobacco. (Drum, Top, whatever.) Then there are Randy's, which are wired for um...not wasting any. Never saw anyone use a Randy's for tobacco, though.

jennifer75
07-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Damn, all this talk makes me want to go...um....eh.....

Scrawler
07-19-2008, 09:06 AM
My grandfather used to roll his own smokes and used a small "machine" with a belt mechanism that rolled perfectly tubular smokes. He'd use the blue packet of Rizzla rolling papers.
When I got to be a teenager, his gear was a real temptation LOL. I didn't inhale of course, but orange Zig Zags were the paper of choice. I'm grinning, remembering the term "two paper beefy"

Mr Flibble
07-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Over here they're Rizlas. Zig Zags are a funny shape. And of course Rips for your outsize rolling needs. *cough*

But when I go to the shop it's normally 'Packet of green papers please' or just 'Ounce of Old Throatburn and a packet of greens'

Rolling's easy when you get the hang of it. Mind you my father-in-law can do it with one hand. I'm not that good lol.

chevbrock
07-19-2008, 05:47 PM
We have Tally-Ho's here, and Zig-Zags are the next popular choice. We call them "Ziggy's".

Kalyke
07-19-2008, 07:42 PM
There are hundreds of kinds. This is one collection. It looks like it never ends. http://www.rollingpapers.net/Index.htm#S

I can roll cigs pretty well-- don't smoke any more though. My dad could do it one handed while driving. Scary.

Melenka
07-19-2008, 09:30 PM
I had a teacher in high school who would roll while we discussed whatever batshit insane statement he had thrown us. It was sort of mesmerizing to watch him do it. He had a lot of qualities like that...