Post 'em if you got 'em: Favorite rejections

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
. . . I fear I am going to be sorry for not taking this on. Your story and your style have the hallmarks of a best seller, but I wouldn't have any idea how to market this or who to pitch it to.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
“God will do No. 2 on your tennis shoes.” - P.J. O'Rourke, National Lampoon

My first rejection. I was a kid. It was the early seventies.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
several years ago, i was rejected by MAD magazine. the form rejection began something to the effect of:

"obviously, since no check fell out of the envelope, we have decided not to use your work."

sgtsdaughter

Nearing the end of an era
Registered
Reaction score
stuck between Wonder Woman and Lady Columbia
William Haskins said:
several years ago, i was rejected by MAD magazine. the form rejection began something to the effect of:

"obviously, since no check fell out of the envelope, we have decided not to use your work."

i got one of those too. sadly funny . . . well funny now, certainly not then.

sgtsdaughter

Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:

i got one of those too. mine was from some crappy magazine, and i thought that they sent such an abrasive rejection letter because they were small and unpopular. nice to know that larger mags do it to. sadly funny . . . well funny now, certainly not then.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
(After holding my ms for months, and after knowing specifically what my ms was about -- which is to say it's not King-ish or Grisham-ish...)

"While it's well written, I'm sorry to say I don't represent male version of chick lit. Most editors are looking for the next Stephen King or John Grisham..."

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"We're afraid your samples chapters, while quite well-written and compelling, are not what we're looking for at this time. We do suggest that you send it to Mr. _____ at [Name], our imprint for children's fiction."

What? The opening chapter involved a teenage hooker experiencing some 'rough trade.' Somehow, I don't think the children's fiction market is going to want it!

Maryn, discouraged to know they obviously didn't read it

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I can't remember it to quote it exactly, but it went something like this:

"While our listing in the Poet's Market led to thousands of submissions, it led to only one order for the book listed in the guide. This total lack of support has DOOMED our efforts to publish poetry. I ask you, IF POET'S DON'T READ POETRY, WHO WILL???!!??"

The caps were definitely in the rejection, and most of the words are there...but there was more, and I recall DOOMED appearing twice, though I forget the details of the second instance.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Believe it or not I got one back from a magazine that read a little like this...

It's not you. I swear. Perhaps someone just sh*t in my cornflakes this morning, causing my mood to be unopen to your submission.

It was close to that anyway. I kept it, just can't find it. I think it was from ZYGOTE.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
This is my favorite because it was so nice:

Ok - I’ve been holding onto your manuscript for so long, I apologize. [she only had it for 12 weeks, which is like, nothing!)
Unfortunately, I’m going to have to pass - even though I know this is a really interesting project that will probably do really well.

I’ve been sitting on it hoping for a spot on my client list to open up, but it just looks like it is going to take a lot longer than I expected and didn’t want to hold you up longer than the few odd years that I’ve already done so.

I hope that if you consider querying me in the future, but I expect that another agent will snap you up before then.

Thank you for considering me for representation - I wish you the best of luck with [book]

sgtsdaughter

Registered
Reaction score
KTC said:
Believe it or not I got one back from a magazine that read a little like this...

It's not you. I swear. Perhaps someone just sh*t in my cornflakes this morning, causing my mood to be unopen to your submission.

It was close to that anyway. I kept it, just can't find it. I think it was from ZYGOTE.

KTC,

you gotta admit that that one is oddly funny.

A.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I got a specific request from a regional California publisher who did stories on the more popular valleys of California to submit my paleontological valley discovery to his publishing house, with the condition that it would be eagarly read by the president. I knew that my manuscript was idealy targeted hear and sent it off.

The rejection came back with the notation that this regional publisher didn't think the manuscript was not national enough. I kid you not. I thought that a 33 million populace in California would be an adequate audience for such a small regional publisher.

Triceratops

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
From a small press:

Everyone who reviewed your novel believes it has the potential to become a major seller, but as a small press, we do not have the resources to market it properly.

Translation:

We don't want to be the ones to tell you this is crap that will never see the inside of a typesetting room so send it out to a few biggies and let them do our dirty work.

Final result:

Another small press is in the process of editing the same manuscript for a possible Christmas 2005 release.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
my manuscript for COCKTAILS! Ten years as a Vegas Cocktail Server

Dear Pamela,

We here in Utah don't believe in cocktails OR in drinking, and we don't believe that people who serve them are following the road to God!

I actually had someone tell me that once. I told her to lighten up and go have a drink.

Hey, it sounds like something that has possibilities. So, I'd like you to go to our Submission Synopsis page, fill out the form there, and if you can sell me on that, I'll ask for more. Here's the URL:

And, so I sent her what she wanted and heard NOTHING> ever again from her.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Hhahahahaha. "We here in Utah..." hahahahahaha. Every alcoholic I know lives in Utah. Don't let anybody tell you that A)it's hard to find booze in Utah or B) Utahns don't drink. It's a hairy lie.

This is my new favorite. A gushing form rejection I received this morning.

Thank you so much for sending us your good story, "The Weasel," which we found both interesting and well written. The story didn’t work for us this time—an entirely subjective decision, always remember—but we liked a lot about it and wish you well on finding it a home. Another editor may well snap up this story, which we sincerely wish for you. We thank you too for your interest in StoryQuarterly, which validates the commitment, even passion, we have for good fiction and promoting it. We hope you’ll continue to think of us for your fine work and wish you the best of luck—in writing, in loving and in living.

Anaparenna

Just Another Exquisite Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.conjurewords.com
About 15 years ago, when I was in my teens and just beginning to submit, Marion Zimmer Bradley threatened to nominate a short story submission of mine for the Bulwer-Lytton award. :D Then she red-penned the first two pages. It was the best rejection I ever got, actually, but I was crushed. I never did win that award.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Just remember, if you take a vacation to Utah, bring your own beer or liquor. I had a pretty lousy ski vacation in Utah, cause the resort sold beer until 8 pm.......at about $6 a bottle.....then closed down for the night. Nothing much worse than sitting in a condo in the middle of Utah, miles and miles of icy roads from town........and it's 8:15 pm, no TV even (and I hate tv - don't watch it at home). Didn't bring a good book ......already did the lovin thing with the man.........and there's nothing to do until the next morning when the slopes open.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, pepperlandgirl, although it's a bit gushy I'd rather receive that than some of the harsher ones you hear about. I hope you submit to them again on Monday!

Maryn

Ella

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sumptuosity.blogspot.com
My first short story submission was rejected with:

"This would be better suited as a poem." - And it was red inked all over the place, reworking it into a poem. I was quite astonished, and still don't know what to think.
I don't think I've written a poem since elementary school.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I remember I got one of my SASEs once back, and it was extra thick, so I was really excited.

I opened it up and pulled out the papers, and the cover letter said:

CONGRATULATIONS!

You are in the majority! You've been rejected just like most people who submit to us!

The other papers were leaflets on their current publications.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
XThe NavigatorX said:
I remember I got one of my SASEs once back, and it was extra thick, so I was really excited.

I opened it up and pulled out the papers, and the cover letter said:

CONGRATULATIONS!

You are in the majority! You've been rejected just like most people who submit to us!

The other papers were leaflets on their current publications.

Ouch! That really hurts. What, they have some twisted, sick sense of humor? Are they still in business?

:)

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect some enraged writer has popped round, shot them all and burned down the building by this time.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
arrowqueen said:
I suspect some enraged writer has popped round, shot them all and burned down the building by this time.
That's right. Show, don't tell.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Anaparenna said:
About 15 years ago, when I was in my teens and just beginning to submit, Marion Zimmer Bradley threatened to nominate a short story submission of mine for the Bulwer-Lytton award. :D Then she red-penned the first two pages. It was the best rejection I ever got, actually, but I was crushed. I never did win that award.
MZB utterly decimated a short story of mine that I subbed when I was about 20 and first getting my writing legs. Man, she was brutal. Honest, but I got frostbite just holding her rejection slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.