WHO WANTS TO READ POEMS????

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! So, I'm discovering that posting on the forum is like publishing...so I'm not posting any more poems. Thanks to those of who who helped answer my question, by the way. But I would still like to be able to get feedback/comments on my poetry. Poppy suggested this in greeting cards/slogans, and I'm posting it here. Would people mind me e-mailing/PMing poems to them for comments? If you're interested, post here or PM me. You guys have seen some of my work already, so you know what you'll be getting yourself into, lol. thanks!

-alanna

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
William,

Alanna posted a thread earlier (think on 2nd page of this forum) entitled "question - not a poem). I pm'd Jenna after reading it to get her insight on the issue. I haven't heard back from her yet but I'm hoping she can shed a little light on this because it seems to be a bit of a "grey" area.

Debbie

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
This seems to be a grey and evolving area.

Many publishers feel if work has been publicly posted on the internet – it lessens the impact. How can they justify paying good money for first N.A. rights for something that is/was readily available for free to everyone?

But some have this policy and some do not. I believe that, roughly, the higher paying the market – the stickier the issue will be. Also some publishers are willing to overlook work that was posted on a secure site for critique purposes (a member/password site siince technically this can keep the work from a free-for-all-to-view status.) But again there is no industry-wide general policy – it’s basically a case-by case situation.

If you’re submitting to an e-zine, I can’t see much of a problem, but if you’re submitting to a major market publication – chances are they will not pay top dollar for the rights to your story or poem if they find out you had it available for free on the internet.

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Brokenfingers,

What about if the post is deleted and then submitted (say if it was only on a forum as this for a very short time)?

Debbie

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I couldn't say. I wouldn't think it'd be a problem but then again that may vary with each publisher.

My understanding is that they will usually overlook work that had a limited posting for critique purposes only. If it ever becomes an issue - I suppose you could always claim it was a first draft.

I suggest closely reading the submission guidelines. If they do not mention it, I suppose you shouldn't worry about it. But like I said - this situation will vary from publisher to publisher.

To be safe, I never post anything I intend on submitting for cold, hard cash this way it won't come down to a knock down, drag out fight ;)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
welp, that rips it for me. not only am i going to have to delete my poems, i'm also going to smash my computer -- and i'll need to do the same to each of your computers. please PM me with a desired time for me to drop by with my sledgehammer.

oh, and i'll need your corneas and your cerebral cortex. snip, snip.

see you soon,
william

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
IMO, this is over reacting. I mean, what's the chance of a mag finding out you posted a poem in a writer's forum? And unless it's the next "The Raven" it's just not that precious, nobody's is, it's just poetry, and no one makes a living that I know of writing it. But if you find the pot of gold at the end of the poem writing rainbow, let me know, I'll stop posting mine here too.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah Haskins!

There was no need for you to smash my computer like that!!!

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
wait till i come after your eyes with a melon-baller. "there is no spoon", indeed!

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
I don't keep my poems and or fiction in an on-line crit style forum for more than a week. And if I'm actively seeking publication for the piece, I don't use the title in the work I'm posting. And as Brokenfingers has already stated, I research the guidelines for the markets I'm submitting to, but he's right--it's a very fluid situation right now and the do's and don't of placing your work on the internet are evolving faster than any of us can keep up with.

Many of the poems I have seen posted here are early drafts. And many of those drafts take shape before our very eyes as the crits take place. If you post drafts and then remove the poem before you complete all your final edits, and don't just let the poem sink into the sunset of the third and fourth pages of the threads that have been posted, I think you'll be fine. Just my opinion though.

There's too much good to be gained here, to not find a way around any first right issues that may emerge.

JAlpha

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
(Pssst.... watch your eyes Janet....)

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
There's only been a handful of times that I've posted anything I plan on submitting, but what I have posted for a critique I've only left it posted for a day or so. After I get a critique or two, I delete that baby.

There's been discussions about this at other boards, and I know of someone who wrote to different publishers to find out. Some publishers said yes, it is considered published and then there were a few that said they wouldn't consider it published. But the ones that did consider it published outnumbered the ones who didn't. So, I guess...post at your own risk.

Personally, I don't see any harm in posting something, getting a quick critique and then deleting it. But I would never leave anything posted that I planned on submitting.

celeste

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
JAlpha said:
I'm not worried, I've already been blinded :cool: by William's amazing poetic talent!

Damn! Another convert swayed to oblivion by the demon's glowing blobs and frilly words!

Bring it on Haskins! I must warn you though - the grounds are patrolled by bunny rabbits and butterflies! And the doors are warded by lollipops!

I also have a personal bodyguard contingent of four very cute puppies.

You have been warned.....

Last edited:

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
thanks for answering the post you guys! :) sorry i haven't been around for a while...

that said- William, if only you had asked to smash my computer last saturday when i had to get rid of my old one! i wouldn't have minded at all. But smash my "new" used "flat" screen dell and I will personally see to it that you are left without any access to chocolate...ever...and force you to read the same "create your own adventure" for a full week...(no breaks for eating- only drinking fluids by a straw but you can't move your eyes away from the page) and it will be one about a quest for the holy puppy collar.

i presume we understand eachother? :D

now, when it comes to publishing, i'm going to go back and delete some posts here, and agree/hope that if it deleted it will be fine. And the request for those who want to PM/ e-mail poems for critiques still stands!

::makes puppy dog eyes::

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
wurdwise said:
IMO, this is over reacting. I mean, what's the chance of a mag finding out you posted a poem in a writer's forum? And unless it's the next "The Raven" it's just not that precious, nobody's is, it's just poetry, and no one makes a living that I know of writing it. QUOTE]

umm...::raises hand::...can we aspire to making a living doing this?