New .me domain registry now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Murphy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelmurphy.me
In case you hadn't heard, a new domain registry was made available July 16. Several places are selling the new .me including Godaddy. For those of you who weren't able to get the .com you wanted, you might check into this, as you'll be seeing it more on websites in the near future.

I purchased michaelmurphy.me. At some time in the future my website address will probably be www.michaelmurphy.me, until then I'll link this to my current address. You can see if a .me registry name is available by typing in the name on the Godaddy website. Here's more information I found on the net, if you're interesed.

The .ME Registry officially opens for live, real-time registrations in the new .ME domain at 15:00UTC July 17, 2008. Companies, organizations and members of the public can now get a Web presence that is truly personal, and have their new Web site working within minutes!

"The .ME registry live registration ushers in a new era of personalization on the Internet," said Predrag Lesic, the registry's executive director. "We were excited to see the innovative and catchy new names that were registered during Landrush, and now this brand new top level domain is open to anyone on a first-come, first-served basis."

The registration process for .ME began in May when the Sunrise period for trademark holders began. Landrush for the general public to register names began in June. In total more than 30,000 domains have already been registered and auctions for competing applications are now taking place. With open registrations, new domains registered will go live within minutes enabling anyone in the world to launch a site that is all about them immediately.

"The registry also expects to soon release its plan for auctioning many premium names that would serve as good new business or marketing ventures, including Love.ME, Buy.ME, and Date.Me," said Lesic.

Status
Not open for further replies.