The ten-minute play

btmartin21

I'm interested in the ten-minute play as an individual genre:

Is the ten-minute play a new genre or simply an abreviated version of the one-act play?

If anyone has any thoughts in response to this question, knows of any good sources that discuss the ten-minute play (other than NTQ's February 2003 article by Rick Mitchell), or has any other related thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
btmartin21 said:
I'm interested in the ten-minute play as an individual genre:...
Have you see the series of 10-minute play anthologies from Actor's Theater of Louisville? Might be of some related value. This (which I found at Amazon) might be of interest, too:

Perfect 10: Writing and Producing the 10-Minute Play (Paperback)

by Gary Garrison
I have been reading one of the Louisville books for examples (and because they are good reading).

A quick search at Highbeam.com (a periodicals article database service) on "10-minute plays" found 201 articles. For example:
The one-act takes center stage: short-form plays inspire festivals, events, and a train ride or two. (In Focus).Back Stage; 5/24/2002; Jacobs, Leonard
It might be worth checking the periodicals database available through your local library to see what you can find. Many have access to that sort of thing. If in doubt, ask the reference librarian for help.

--Ken