PDA

View Full Version : Drug or alcohol emergency for teens?

elissa
07-18-2008, 06:24 PM
My MC is at a concert with a sketchy crowd. Someone they know is there and starts something (drug-related possibly?) that makes my MC nervous, so he leaves. Later, he goes back or finds them back, and they are having some kind of emergency, but they're too messed up to deal.

He's already in a lot of trouble, on probation, etc, so it's big choice for him to seek help when he knows it will probably involve him getting in big trouble.

This is teens on the West Coast, btw. Any ideas for what they're getting mixed up in and what's happening? Details about what might happen to them? A suggestion about where to start this research?

Thanks!!!

Clair Dickson
07-18-2008, 06:30 PM
I know in Michigan (which I can't imagine is that different from the West Coast, at least as far as teens and drugs go) extasy can be a big problem. There have been a couple kids who, instead of dividing the pills in 4ths like they're supposed to would take the whole thing, becuase it seemed like fun. At least one kid landed himself in the hospital with heart problems.

And if the kids are drinking and using drugs, they're going to be VERY skittish about calling the cops (too worried about getting their own tails in trouble to care about a friend being ill.)

That's my two cents, from what I learn eavesdropping on the alternative high school kids I teach.

IceCreamEmpress
07-18-2008, 06:54 PM
My MC is at a concert with a sketchy crowd. Someone they know is there and starts something (drug-related possibly?) that makes my MC nervous, so he leaves. Later, he goes back or finds them back, and they are having some kind of emergency, but they're too messed up to deal.

He's already in a lot of trouble, on probation, etc, so it's big choice for him to seek help when he knows it will probably involve him getting in big trouble.

This is teens on the West Coast, btw. Any ideas for what they're getting mixed up in and what's happening? Details about what might happen to them? A suggestion about where to start this research?

Thanks!!!

The most immediate danger situations from recreational drugs teens would be likely to use would be a bad reaction to LSD ("bad trip") or a serious depression from ketamine ("K-hole"). Although people do sometimes have negative reactions to ecstasy, it's much rarer.

These pages from erowid.org (http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/faqs/psychedelic_crisis_faq.shtml) are designed to help people help their friends cope with negative drug reactions.

The most immediate danger situation from alcohol would be alcohol poisoning.

Here's some advice (http://www.depauw.edu/student/safety/alcoholpoisoning.asp) about helping friends with alcohol poisoning.

Finni
07-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Elissa. in my mind I saw your MC walking away because they started crushing up an OxyContin (a pill you can crush up in order to snort. Its like percocet only 10x more powerful). It is highly possible for one of the kids to OD on this stuff, and for their friends to put em in the corner instead of calling 911.

elissa
07-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Elissa. in my mind I saw your MC walking away because they started crushing up an OxyContin (a pill you can crush up in order to snort. Its like percocet only 10x more powerful). It is highly possible for one of the kids to OD on this stuff, and for their friends to put em in the corner instead of calling 911.

Oh my god, they do this why? Is it called anything? What would the effects of an OD look like?

Thanks so much!

elissa
07-18-2008, 08:33 PM
OK, sorry, just googled and read up. Am stunned by my naivete. The oxy thing is a good idea. (well, not to do, but to write about in my book) thanks so much!

Finni
07-18-2008, 08:36 PM
OxyContin is called Oxy or OC on the street. the crushed powder is white.
An Overdose would look like a heroin overdose. Sometimes it can look like the person just went to sleep....only they never wake up again.
I am sure there is a ton of info on the web about this drug. Its a monster of a drug btw. an effing monster.

Tsu Dho Nimh
07-18-2008, 08:40 PM
They do it to get "high", but with no knowledge of dosage ... it's a standard opiate OD, comatoise, barely breathing, then the breathing stops. Even underage drinking, where someone has passed out, can be a medical emergency.

He only has to see someone laid off to the side, and realize that they are non-responsive to shaking and an ear pinch to know he has the last chance to save them.

Scenario my roomie's son went through was that the drunks were actively trying to prevent him from calling 9-1-1 because (with a drunken slur) "it's no biggie, he'll sleep it off" and comments about the underage drinkers that were there ... heavy pressure to STFU.

He fought his way to the house phone, called 9-1-1 and they managed to grab the phone out of his hands and hang up ... but the cops hear the yelling and came in full force. The comatose one made it, but with an initial blood alcohol of .2 something,it was a close call.

Net result, his so-called "friends" ostracized him, even the idiot whose life he saved and the idiot's girlfriend because some of their friends went to jail for buying alcohol for minors.

elissa
07-19-2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks, all...I've got my scenario! Tsu, yes, the people involved are just dumping the ODing kid off in the parking lot, luckily near where MC is. The conflict after the fact isn't going to be pretty, either, since two of the characters will be doing some time of some sort for the situation, thanks to MC. I'm not sure yet how the survivor will be reacting.

Finni
07-19-2008, 01:21 AM
if you want realistic the survivor will want more oxy. oxy is a hard drug to kick; not even the threat or near miss of death will make that person turn away. (from what i'v seen)

HeronW
07-19-2008, 03:50 AM
Another possible is kids going for a 'natural' high with Jimson weed--yes, it can give a buzz-or kill.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium

kuwisdelu
07-19-2008, 04:07 AM
I know in Michigan (which I can't imagine is that different from the West Coast, at least as far as teens and drugs go) extasy can be a big problem. There have been a couple kids who, instead of dividing the pills in 4ths like they're supposed to would take the whole thing, becuase it seemed like fun. At least one kid landed himself in the hospital with heart problems.

What kind of ecstasy do you have in Michigan? The only time I've tried it, I took four, and it still did nothing for me.

What kind of concert is this, and what kind of venue? That will really make a big difference as far as what kind of drugs the people who go there will use.

elissa
07-19-2008, 05:02 AM
What kind of ecstasy do you have in Michigan? The only time I've tried it, I took four, and it still did nothing for me.

What kind of concert is this, and what kind of venue? That will really make a big difference as far as what kind of drugs the people who go there will use.

I'm making up the bands so it will be not real, but it's rock/metal/alternative (do they still call it that? ha) concert at this big arena in Portland, OR. They have been drinking, smoking pot, etc, and now they met up with somebody's acquaintance in the parking lot after the concert. They are hanging out in a big ol' van, looking to kick back and enjoy the two hour ride home.

kuwisdelu
07-19-2008, 05:10 AM
I'm making up the bands so it will be not real, but it's rock/metal/alternative (do they still call it that? ha) concert at this big arena in Portland, OR. They have been drinking, smoking pot, etc, and now they met up with somebody's acquaintance in the parking lot after the concert. They are hanging out in a big ol' van, looking to kick back and enjoy the two hour ride home.

Ah. Okay. Well ecstasy wouldn't really be as common in a big outdoor arena, being more suited to dancing/moshing/etc. in an indoor venue.

I'd say mostly likely pot or LSD would be the drug of choice in such a place. The aforementioned Oxycontin or Ketamine could be a possibility, of course, but it's just harder to snort something at a big outdoor concert, whereas you can smoke or drop acid with no one noticing. (Yes, the pot smell is quite obvious, but they never do anything.) Not to mention, it's much easier to sneak joints in in cigarette packs or LSD in, but little baggies of powder will be found (most big venues do searches, while small ones don't bother).

Pot won't really give you any bad effects, except maybe slower reaction when driving a car. I'd probably go with LSD or something that's in pill form (that doesn't have to be crushed). Although, if the kids' friends are hard users, Oxy or K could work. Just have them be creative in how they stash it. As for snorting in a pinch, the surface of a key offers a useful nostril-full from a baggie. Alternatively, there are also empty tic-tac containers (open, cover with licked finger, turn upside-down, get a pinch on your finger, snort) and modified nasal spray things...

IceCreamEmpress
07-19-2008, 05:35 AM
You can take ketamine and oxycontin orally, and get way too much of both that way, too.

elissa
07-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Ah. Okay. Well ecstasy wouldn't really be as common in a big outdoor arena, being more suited to dancing/moshing/etc. in an indoor venue.

I'd say mostly likely pot or LSD would be the drug of choice in such a place. The aforementioned Oxycontin or Ketamine could be a possibility, of course, but it's just harder to snort something at a big outdoor concert, whereas you can smoke or drop acid with no one noticing. (Yes, the pot smell is quite obvious, but they never do anything.) Not to mention, it's much easier to sneak joints in in cigarette packs or LSD in, but little baggies of powder will be found (most big venues do searches, while small ones don't bother).

Pot won't really give you any bad effects, except maybe slower reaction when driving a car. I'd probably go with LSD or something that's in pill form (that doesn't have to be crushed). Although, if the kids' friends are hard users, Oxy or K could work. Just have them be creative in how they stash it. As for snorting in a pinch, the surface of a key offers a useful nostril-full from a baggie. Alternatively, there are also empty tic-tac containers (open, cover with licked finger, turn upside-down, get a pinch on your finger, snort) and modified nasal spray things...

They're in the back of their van, so no issues with being sneaky, exactly. The MC and his buddies have been smoking pot (their van has a special seat for the bong) and drinking beer/whatnot, but then they meet someone's friend/acquaintance and that person is much heavier into drugs than MC for sure and probably than the others. At least a couple of them, MC included, haven't done anything harder than pot. And yeah, pot's not going to cause any emergencies other than maybe an emergency snack run.