What movie was this?

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Okay, guys, I can't give you much to go on, but I'm trying to remember the name of a movie I saw several years back. I would guess it was early '90s, but I could be way off. It seems like it had Steve Martin in it, but a perusal of his filmography didn't help. It was kind of a "caper" movie with a chase woven throughout. There was something about a guy trying to return a stolen or lost dog, he was being chased on a train, and at one point someone was at a gated mansion and found a dead body with its hand sticking out from under the garage door. That's all I can remember.

Any ideas? :) Rep point for sure to anyone who can tell me what this was.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know for sure but I know he did a spate of movies in the 90's. Could it be Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid? That sounds like a possibility. Other than that I'm not sure what else it could be. I know he did Roxanne and The Man With Two Brains. Doesn't sound like it's either of them though.
You could always try imdb.com and type in Steve Martin. It will list all the films he's done.

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Was it possibly this?
Once Upon a Crime
YES!!! That's it! Thank you so much. It was driving me crazy. I had forgotten it had John Candy and Richard Lewis in it. As I recall, it was pretty funny, but who knows if I would still think so today. :)

Thanks again, Jersey Chick, and the others who gave it a shot - rep points given!

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, since we've got this topic now and a lot of experts, maybe someone can help me too!

This was a romantic comedy from the late 80s, I think, maybe early 90s. It was about a woman with a boring life who decided to go on a tour of Europe, I think, and listened to language tapes and so on to get prepared. At some point, though, she got hit on the head and afterwards thought she was a spy or something. She got mixed in with some sort of spy business and I remember she knew all the phrases from the language tapes.

I hadn't thought about this movie in years and years until a coworker mentioned a different movie that reminded me of it a few days ago. Now it's driving me crazy. I know I saw it on HBO, not in the theater, so I'm not sure how old it is or if it got a real theatrical release or was made for TV or something. Thanks!

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
That was a theatrical release with two people whose faces i can see but no names come to mind. Nor does the title of it. the main actor's first name is tom. The woman gets a bump on her head and wakes up believing she is a character in a series of mystery novels who lives at the Ritz in Paris. She somehow gets involved with the writer of the novels, a man using a pen name, and spies who think she is real, not realizing she's playing a character.

There's a great scene where she goes shopping and tells the clerk to send the bill to the hotel, the clerk phones the hotel and the manager says (in that snooty french accent) of course, blank lives here. everyone knows that.

Sigourney Weaver. She played the lead. (and maybe Tom Stoppard. definitely Tom. cool british accent) The code phrase was nietsche's What doesnt destroy me, makes me stronger. Was mir nicht something, machts mir sterker. or something like that. i dont speak german

It also has the scene that mike myers spoofed in the spy who shagged me, where at the crucial moment, the mystery character says, "Because this is not a woman" as she rips off the criminal's wig "this is a man."

Yes, ive seen it several times. I liked it. You'd think i would remember the title. Imdb won't load for me. The writer's pen name was Evelyn something.

I wonder how much of this will turn out to be right. I know the plot is right but the names. lol

Edited to add, not tom stoppard, he's a writer, and not sigourney weaver. _sigh_ I need to go to bed. I will figure this out. At least you know you didn't imagine this movie. lol

Edited again to add FOUND IT http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086886/

I got Tom right. LOL At least i got something right. Yay. now i can sleep.

Last edited:

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This was a romantic comedy from the late 80s, I think, maybe early 90s. It was about a woman with a boring life who decided to go on a tour of Europe, I think, and listened to language tapes and so on to get prepared. At some point, though, she got hit on the head and afterwards thought she was a spy or something. She got mixed in with some sort of spy business and I remember she knew all the phrases from the language tapes.

Ah, one of my favorites -- American Dreamer

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much to both of you!!

*runs to Netflix*

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
This is something I saw as a child, on late night TV (?), so this was back in the 60s, black and white (or color, who knows? we had a black and white TV). It could be the beginning of a movie, or it could be the beginning of a television show -- maybe an episode of The Outer Limits? Something in that vein.

Anyway, all I remember is this:

A man is driving down a dirt road late at night. I think it might have been raining. Something small scurries in front of his headlights and he hits it. He stops and gets out, but can't find anything and as he's getting back in his car, you see from under the tire this little arm come up with clawed fingers and it punctures his tire. He drives on to a diner, I believe.

And that's all I remember. I remember it scaring the bejeesus out of me and I had nightmares about little clawed hands puncturing tires for years after that, but I've never been able to figure out what it was.

Any idea?

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
This is something I saw as a child, on late night TV (?), so this was back in the 60s, black and white (or color, who knows? we had a black and white TV). It could be the beginning of a movie, or it could be the beginning of a television show -- maybe an episode of The Outer Limits? Something in that vein.

Anyway, all I remember is this:

A man is driving down a dirt road late at night. I think it might have been raining. Something small scurries in front of his headlights and he hits it. He stops and gets out, but can't find anything and as he's getting back in his car, you see from under the tire this little arm come up with clawed fingers and it punctures his tire. He drives on to a diner, I believe.

And that's all I remember. I remember it scaring the bejeesus out of me and I had nightmares about little clawed hands puncturing tires for years after that, but I've never been able to figure out what it was.

Any idea?

Finally, one that I know! Actually, Ed, you may have seen it twice. The first was in Invasion of the Saucer Men, a 50's black and white drive-in snoozer. Then for some reason it was remade in the in 60's in color as Attack of the the [yes, 2 "the's"] Eye Creatures. Both films contained that scene.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My answer vs Scribhneoir's Answer: The no-sleep answer - FAIL.

Oh, I don't know about that. You hit the high points. :D

Now, of course, I'm in the mood to see it again. Gotta add a trip to the video store to my weekend to-do list.