Another motorcycle question - wait - two questions

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
How long can a motorcycle sit unused and still work? What sorts of problems arise out of this sort of storage?

ETA - the bike is outside, although in the shade and cover of trees. It's just been parked there as is.

Last edited:

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
With a disconnected the battery and tires off the ground, a long time.

If you want to put it long-term storage you also need to drain the fuel tank and for good measure remove the spark plugs and fill the cylinders with light grade motor oil.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Adjusted the original post to reflect that the bike is not in proper storage - only parked behind some trees, as is.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
Adjusted the original post to reflect that the bike is not in proper storage - only parked behind some trees, as is.
Is it yours, or are you thinking of driving off with someone's bike...:D

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
Lol! It's for a story. It's a dead guy's bike and someone wants to make off with it.
Sure...;)

It depends on how long it has been sitting, the first thing that will go is the battery, the next are the tires.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
Right. That's what I want to know. How long of an interval can I realistically depict it sitting and still working when someone fires her up?
A month, maybe a bit longer. Also depends on the weather, if it is cold the battery will not last as long sitting.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, last offer

Chief_Vintage_Grainsm.jpg

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Really? The bike in question could easily be a special model. In fact, it's sort of the point. Tell me more.

Jenifer

Now with extra neurotic filling.
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, ours seem to last three days before something goes wrong.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
As stated much will depend on the condition it was in BEFORE it was abandoned, and the weather it has been subjected to. Assume a 'perfect' condition bike, like new plugs and batts, fresh oil,new tires, - mild weather - (No snow, no 100+ heat). Really - it's the battery discharge you're dealing with. Maybe three months? Depending on type of bike - might could start it after six, with lots of kick starting - but beyond that would be sketchy.

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
I had a motorcycle when I lived in Manhattan and I have one here in LA.

When I would put my bike up for the winter (under a tarp on the sidewalk on W.71 st) I could sometimes get it started in March, sometimes not.

My LA bike, a used CHP police bike (like Ponch) can easily go for over a month without starting or trickle charging.

You're safe having it last for only three weeks or even four months. All bikes and batteries are different.

And an old bike with a kick-start could go even longer, if the tank was full before it was set out.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
How long can a motorcycle sit unused and still work? What sorts of problems arise out of this sort of storage?

ETA - the bike is outside, although in the shade and cover of trees. It's just been parked there as is.

Depending on the grade of gasoline and how old the bike is, I've seen carburetors get gummed up after a few months of sitting, too. Over a month is not necessarily unrealistic depending on the condition of the battery. A year, though, would definitely stretch my credulity. I have left a bike outside under a cover for about two months with no serious consequences.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
For the last three winters I have stored my 2005 Honda Shadow, without draining the fuel tank or the oil, in a tent outside. No trickle charger or anything of that nature. Now, it doesn't snow here much, but it does get cold, sometimes below zero.

Every Spring I go out, squeeze the clutch and push the start button and it has never once failed to start.

Keep in mind that winters here - that is, weather that is just too darn cold to ride - usually last from mid December to late February. So we are only realistically talking about two months, three at most. Still, never any trouble.

Last edited:

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on type of bike - might could start it after six, with lots of kick starting - but beyond that would be sketchy.
What time/dates is your story set in? Kick starts are not on the majority of newer model bikes because the compression in some of them has caused alot of injuries in the past...strong enough to break a man's/woman's leg.

My husb. has a motorcycle that sit for 5 yrs. in a unheated/no a.c. shed on a gravel floor. The battery, of course had to be replaced, the carbs. had to be cleaned, the tank had to be cleaned and lined because of rust that occurs after awhile in an unused bike (yes, rust can and does occur in gas tank, mostly from condensation from changing tempertures) and he also had to put a new starter on it after driving it for a few months. He also had to changed the sparkplug and flush out fuel lines... The tires are still just fine..No weather rot, but his was protected from the sun and rain.

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of motorcycle, and where has it been sitting?

Generally there will be two types of failures, ignition and fuel.

Gasoline if left in a carburetor bowl will eventually separate and gum up the fuel system leaving you dead. This can happen in as little as six months in the right conditions. Happened to one I had when I was a kid.

Ignition is more problematic. An old bike will use points, which are always finicky. They don't stil well at all. Newer motorcyles use electonic ignition so it won't be as big a problem. And don't forget that many motorcycles don't need a battery. None of my dirt bikes use one. And even if a battery is dead, it may be possible to roll-start the bike.

Tell me what kind of bike it is and I can tell you how long it will probably be able to sit before it stops working.

-MM