Help me recognize a good conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiat Lux

Registered
Reaction score
So, I’m embarking on an adventure and writing my first novel, a Christian romance. Those of you who are experienced, can you help me recognize a good conflict, a conflict strong enough to support a whole book?

I know that the main conflict of the book must be character-driven, allowing for the growth of both the heroine and hero. This is what I’ve got so far…

The hero genuinely cares for others and wants to save them from making mistakes, especially the mistakes he’s made. He’s smart and he knows he’s smart. His help and advice can come across as arrogance and control. He thinks it’s his job to help everyone and doesn’t understand why at times people don’t appreciate his help or don’t do what he says they should do. The more he cares for someone, the more he tries to “help” and the more controlling he seems.

Heroine’s dad was strict, even harsh, with her and her mom, often letting the heroine learn lessons the hard way and allowing her to suffer the consequences of her mistakes. As a result, she is independent and doesn’t like being told what to do, especially by men. Heroine sees men as harsh and controlling, vowing she would never let herself get under a man’s thumb. Heroine is attracted to hero and knows his heart is in the right place, but just can’t tolerate being told what to do, which he does a lot.

By the end of the book, heroine learns from the hero that men can be nurturing and caring while allowing her to be her own person, making her own decisions. She also learns the value of taking advice and considering it rather than doing everything on her own.

By the end of the book, hero learns from the heroine that people do appreciate his help but need to make their own decisions and don’t always agree with his advice. He learns to be helpful and make his advice available without pushing his opinion on others.

What do you all think? Strong enough conflict for a book?
Thanks so much for your help!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Squee! Yes, conflict enough. Internal conflict is meat-and-drink to romance, and the "third thread" of the characters' spiritual journey is exactly what Christian romance pubs are looking for. It sounds from where I sit like you have each character's internal conflict nailed very nicely.

Now -- conflict between the two? One of my crit partners sums it up this way: "When his primary 'want' in life is put in direct opposition to hers, when she can't get what she needs if he gets what he needs--THEN you have conflict!". I tend to agree.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would have the conflict as the heroine chaffing under the hero's overly strong armed approach to helping her even when she truly needs his help. Then his reluctence to help her when she really needs his help because she already rebuffed his help. :e2BIC:

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com
You have a good internal (emotional) conflict, as Deb said, but you don't have your external conflict yet. How does the internal conflict manifest in the story? Ideally you should have your two characters pursuing concrete external goals that they can't accomplish until they learn their emotional (internal) lessons. Having them working toward concrete external goals helps keep the tension rising as the novel progresses. Without external goals you run the risk of ending up with a low-tension, episodic novel.

Granted, some people are able to make a purely internal story compelling. But it's difficult.

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Advice given here is spot on - and I think you know it as you can clearly spell out the internal motivations and how they cause internal conflicts but why does that matter? What do they both WANT? Why would the hero tell the heroine what to do? Give them goals that make them share space and themselves, create tension.

the old adage - "The cat laid down on the mat" is not a story. "The cat laid down on the Dog's mat"? THAT's a story.

annie jones

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
A book that really helped me through these type questions was "GMC-Goal, Motivation and Conflict" by Debra Dixon. She walks you through setting up these aspects of a story and is very easy to read.

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What I'm struggling with in my novel is ensuring the external conflict builds to the point where the crisis (the black moment near the end of the novel) requires the heroine to make the decisive (mature) choice which resolves her internal conflict. She has to have grown through the novel to reach this point.

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score
What I'm struggling with in my novel is ensuring the external conflict builds to the point where the crisis (the black moment near the end of the novel) requires the heroine to make the decisive (mature) choice which resolves her internal conflict. She has to have grown through the novel to reach this point.

Since you are clearly following a plot arc this may help - give the heroine something she cannot do that represents her conflict in the beginning (in Heathen Girls my heroine couldn't go to the family pond where her father had died) then step by step break down those barriers (the heroine went to the pond on impulse when she saw someone there, later she took her dying cousin there as a healing thing) so that in the end she can do the thing she couldn't before (the heroine jumped into the pond)

That echoed her internal journey.

That doesn't have to be in every book, but it really serves some stories well.

annie jones/luanne jones

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
give the heroine something she cannot do that represents her conflict in the beginning

great hint. I know with short stories this helps to balance the story and give a sense of closure. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.