Tonight's meal, or Why I garden, despite the moose

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A big salad:

Two varieties of leaf lettuce, one a dark red-purple curly type you'll never find at the grocery store.
Spinach.
Arugula.
Mustard spinach (a very mild variety of mustard, actually)
Another mild form of mustard.
Four or five leaves of a spicy reddish mustard.
Mizuna (a frilly-leaved green of turnip, actually, from Japan)
Three leaves of red shiso, another Japanese herb.
A dozen or so leaves of lamb's quarters, a wild weed that grows all over the place, and is just excellent.
Five standard red round radishes, sliced thin.
Four or five green leaves from the same radishes.
A few leaves of hyssop, the famed "bitter herb" of Passover times in the Old Testament.
Three or four sprigs of chervil, a very sweet anise-flavored herb resembling cilantro.
Three nasturtium flowers.
A little ground pepper and a pinch of salt.

That's it, all rescued from the garden in the rain and wind we are currently experiencing. No fatty oily dressing of any kind. The herbs and nasturtium flowers and spicy mustard leaves provide plenty of dressing-like flavor to the salad.

I'm trying to fantasize that it's all very healthy for me, while I take my glass of wine and go to bed.

caw

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
We've had so much rain here that the only thing I got around to planting was tomatoes, some strawberries (flowers rotted off) and 2 watermelon plants which aren't doing much at all (they need more heat!), however my neighbour gave me two heads of romaine. They were huge and I was able to make 4 salads out of them, and the lettuce was so fabulous we actually fought over the last bites of salad. I was asked to bring a salad out to dinner at friends and I went an bought a head of lettuce rather than allowing my home grown stuff to be shared with others. It was that good.

Guess I'll be trying to grow some romaine next year.