View Full Version : Real easy Question for Auto repair/Tire shop workers

07-17-2008, 01:58 AM
This ought to bring a laugh but, what is the name of the machine that is used to remove lug nuts? And is it the same machine that makes that "squealing - whirring" sound you always hear from the bays at an auto repair shop? ( O.K. that's 2 questions, let me insert another quarter ;))

07-17-2008, 02:03 AM
The same one that goes "click click click" when you've tightened it to the max.....

Air Impact Wrench.

07-17-2008, 02:04 AM
what do I win?!

07-17-2008, 02:10 AM
what do I win?!
You've got to answer one harder than that. ;-)

And to the OP: Jennifer is right, but you can just call it an impact wrench. Some shops actually use cordless impact wrenches now.

Rolling Thunder
07-17-2008, 02:11 AM
That squealing-whirring sound also occurs when you get the bill...

07-17-2008, 02:15 AM
I'll say. Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal.

07-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Okay, now that you've got everyone's attention who might be able to answer, I've got a harder question, but it should still be easy-to-answer for someone qualified.

I've got a hand truck (it was about $40 at Lowe's maybe six years ago), and one of the tires won't hold the 'seal' on the rim (yes, even hand truck tires are tubeless now). I can somehow manage with an air compressor to get it fitted on and air in it, but with a heavy load it always 'leaks' and goes flat. The other tire is still fine. Is there some special stuff I put on the rim to seal it? What do I do?

This is not for a story, but maybe I'll write a blog entry about it...

07-17-2008, 06:23 AM
Personally, I'd get an inner tube and avoid the problem. That's what I run on my tractor, because the front rims take a beating.

My guess is you've got a rough spot or dent on the rim. You need to find it and remove it. Inflate the tire and put soapy water around the rim to see where it leaks. If it doesn't leak normally, sometimes hitting it with a big hammer will help.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

07-17-2008, 09:00 AM
I think you can get tyre seal stuff from your hardware store. In a pinch, I've known people to use silastic, but it can be bloody hard to get the tyre back off again, if you ever want to.