PDA

View Full Version : Senses in Your Dreams

inkkognito
07-16-2008, 09:24 PM
The Dreamland thread got me to thinking...according to common lore, some people dream in black and white but creative ones dream in color. I've always wondered if it's true because my dreams are Technicolor multi-sensory spectaculars, and I can't imagine anyone having anything else.

We're a creative bunch here...do the rest of you dream in full sensory mode? Color? Smells? Feelings? Taste? Touch? Sounds? I experience all five senses in my dreams and did since I was a little kid...the tornado nightmares I used to have still make me shudder.

HeronW
07-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Most of my dreams are in color, importan things are brighter and stand out as if they're under a light or have such strong hues everything else looks greyed out.

Calla Lily
07-16-2008, 09:30 PM
We're a creative bunch here...do the rest of you dream in full sensory mode? Color? Smells? Feelings? Taste? Touch? Sounds? I experience all five senses in my dreams and did since I was a little kid...the tornado nightmares I used to have still make me shudder.

I get all of 'em here, too.

My recurring nightmare as a kid was the dragon chasing me into a big old dark church, and then something knocking on the floor under the altar, which was the only place I could hide. I knew in the dream it was bigger and scarier than the dragon. Oy.

My favorite dreams are the floating ones. Those are often my lucid dreams too.

alleycat
07-16-2008, 09:32 PM
I alway dream in color as far as I can remember.

I once dreamed about going to the restroom. That was a big mistake. But quite a sensory experience.

Tink
07-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Most of my dreams are Full Sensory Mode---even when I day dream I am in full sensory mode.....:D

auntybug
07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm glad to see this thread. I was wondering if maybe I just remembered things wrong. I was always sure my dreams were in color - others said "No way. You dream in black & white. Period."

*wipes brow*

I am still a freak - but at least I'm in good company ;)

geardrops
07-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Full sensory experiences complete with cinematic cameras and soundtrack.

I didn't realize it was potentially indicative of being creative.

Topaz044
07-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Yep, I've always dreamed in color. One of my recurring problems is that I sometimes dream that I'm falling, and hit the ground hard. I get very dizzy after I wake up!

Cranky
07-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Yep, I dream in color, though I would say that some colors are brighter than others. I don't recall smelling anything, but touch, taste, hearing, etc. all very much intact.

A little too much so, at times. *shudders*

Sarpedon
07-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Color, complete with sensations. Though I think that some senses only work when its according to plot.

Mr Flibble
07-16-2008, 11:48 PM
You mean some people don't have all their senses in a dream? Mine are often incredibly realistic, in fact quite often I wake up and it takes me a while to figure out it was a dream, not a memory.

I still shudder about the one where me and the kids were trapped in a burning car. And the one where I was a bloke. ( You walk around with that all the time? Wow, it feels really weird. I played a lot of pocket pool. :))

tehuti88
07-16-2008, 11:49 PM
I remember in junior high English class, the teacher read something that said most people dream in B&W. She was puzzled and asked for a show of hands of how many of us dreamed in color, and just about everybody claimed they did, so I think that whatever she was reading was flawed.

I dream in all senses--full color (even specific shades), smells, feelings, tastes, and sounds. One of my earliest nightmares featured an overpowering sickly sweet smell that I knew was the smell of death. I taste wonderful sweets in my dreams, and one time I tasted this Chinese food that left an awful, bitter taste in the back of my mouth, and it was just like something I tasted in real life some time later, though I can't recall what it was by now. I can feel pain, though it's usually muted; my sense of touch isn't quite as developed in dreams, or else I just don't notice things as much. I can feel textures, and temperatures, but extremes of hot and cold are nonexistent--witness my frequent dreams of being outside in the middle of the snow yet not freezing. Ah, if only. :D

I experience all five senses in my dreams and did since I was a little kid...the tornado nightmares I used to have still make me shudder.

ZOMG! I used to have tornado nightmares all the time too! :eek:

Jackfishwoman
07-16-2008, 11:52 PM
I dream in colour and full vivid detail. In fact, sometimes when I wake, I cannot tell the difference between the dream world and my real life - often the two seem intertwined.
Interesting topic!

Quossum
07-17-2008, 12:32 AM
I dream with all senses, but usually for me dreams have a certain potent emotional content that comes across very vividly. The dream might be that I have an aquarium filled with baby chickens, and there's rat hiding in the shavings under the chickens...and what I'll most bring with me upon waking will be, not the weirdness of it all, but the incredible feeling of shock at finding the rat where I hadn't expected one to be, the burning need to rescue it quickly before it got stepped on or pecked to death--the emotion put forth in the dream.

--Q

NicoleMD
07-17-2008, 01:51 AM
I alway dream in color as far as I can remember.

I once dreamed about going to the restroom. That was a big mistake. But quite a sensory experience.

Hehe. Once I had to go to the bathroom during a dream, so I asked one of the people in my dream where the nearest bathroom was. He pointed up this enourmous hill with a thousand steps. I told him "Nevermind. It'd be quicker if I just woke up and walked down the hall."

Good thing, too...

Nicole

Mr. Fix
07-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Yeah, I dream in color too.

Except that time I dreamed I was Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca... That was in black and white.:hat:

Appalachian Writer
07-17-2008, 02:40 AM
I dream in color, and if I really try, I can re-enter a dream if I can go back to sleep right away. I feel things, some things, like wind and the touch of other people. I don't know if I smell things. I can say that I dream stories. If I think about it, they have plots and characters that are pretty well developed. In nightmares, if something's chasing me, it's not JUST chasing me. There's a reason, knowledge of where the monster came from, and conversations with other characters about how to survive. I wouldn't have admitted this anywhere else because I'm sure people would think I'm crazy.

inkkognito
07-17-2008, 02:47 AM
Bathroom dreams...I have my own version if I need to wake up and go. I'll dream that I'm looking for a toilet but I'm usually in some large public restroom and every stall I go in has some problem...dirty seat, unflushed mess and the like (pretty much like waking life when I'm at Disney or Universal). Inevitably I will wake up with a desperate need to run to the bathroom. I live in fear of what would happen if I found a clean, usable stall in my dream and went in to use it.

darrtwish
07-17-2008, 02:49 AM
I always dream in colour, complete with sounds, touch, and feelings. I didn't really realise this was unique until recently. I've always assumed that everyone else dreamed in colour. Hmm, guess not.

JoNightshade
07-17-2008, 03:05 AM
The only sense I haven't really noticed in a dream is smell, but probably because I don't really pay attention to that sense... not a big foodie or anything like that.

My dreams are usually dominated by intense emotion. I know what everyone around me is thinking and feeling and quite frequently I will "become" other people in the course of my dream. (For example, I'm walking along the street and pass a TV in a window playing an old Adam West Batman show. But of course I completely understand everyone's motivations and suddenly I'm no longer walking down the street - I'm Adam West or Burt Ward and I'm now in the show.) I will frequently play several 'parts,' too. And if I get upset, I get REALLY upset. I sob, I scream, I cry so hard that my mouth and throat and everything hurt. Not out loud, just in my dream.

Alternately, sometimes my dreams are really interesting geometric explorations. My brain gets sort of 'trapped' in this mode where I'm exploring the shape of some complex physical object, and then one thing just leads to another and suddenly the dream is all about yellow or square or what have you.

I think those two kinds of dreams are interesting, because it sort of encapsulates how I view the world. I tend to be kind of 'remote', but empathetic on a very deep level (which is probably why my writing is super-character-driven). I am also very spatially aware. I could draw you detailed floor plans of any house/apartment I lived in, back to when I was 4, my high school, my junior high, my elementary school, my grocery store, etc. etc. etc.

Matera the Mad
07-17-2008, 04:25 AM
The notion that anyone dreams in black and white has always struck me as grossest nonsense.

One thing I have noticed about dreams, though, is that the senses are often featured selectively. Very few dreams have the sensory quality of full reality. One's attention has a limited focus. Then again, some people seem to be like that when they are awake :tongue

I have seen, smelled, heard, and felt all sorts of things in dreams. And, far from lacking color, my dreams featured color television when all I had ever seen was black and white TV. (Yes, I've been around a while.)

kuwisdelu
07-17-2008, 04:33 AM
Color. Honestly, I don't know about the other sense, because I don't really notice. It's like--in my everyday life, I have most of my sense (except I can't smell worth a damn), so I'd only really notice if I lost one. It's not like I would go "whoa. I can feel today!" So I guess in my dreams, I'd notice it, too, but I haven't noticed anything weird as far as sense go, that I can remember.

Really, I hardly ever remember my dreams. Only the hint of a plot, and that's about all. I can rarely recall anything but a little bit of what happened about once or twice a year.

dwellerofthedeep
07-17-2008, 04:45 AM
I used to think I only dreamed with lights, colors and taste, but last night I had a dream with Powerslave by Iron Maiden for a soundtrack.

Skyraven
07-17-2008, 05:10 AM
I dream in all colors. Bright as bright and dark as dark. My dreams are full of battles and chases. I also dream of my mom (who passed away almost six years ago) and understand all the advice she gives me. I have dreams where I'm very powerful. I've flown, been invisible, etc. :)

superman skivvies
07-17-2008, 05:13 AM
This moring I had a very intersting dream. I do not remember much of it but I do remember that it was in a hazy, baby blue color and in pixels, like an old computer game. Something about a magnifying glass that when you look at a pond through it it says, "Ice... skate." And also there was a sign that said something like, "Dad, your bladder problem has been fixed."

Claudia Gray
07-17-2008, 07:58 AM
My dreams involve all five senses at times, although taste and smell are fairly rare. I also dream in color, although sometimes I dream a limited kind of color -- two- or three-tone -- and I have come to believe that, in those kinds of dreams, the color is encoded by meaning.

Sometimes I score my dreams. They have background music. And if I recognize it during dreaming, it often wakes me up.

Chauchat Butterfly
07-17-2008, 09:40 AM
I dream in color and I do experience all five senses. Usually just sight and hearing, at least that's what I remember. A lot of the things I've heard, felt, smelled in dreams I was experiencing in real life at the same time. But then I sleep with the tv on and the window open.

One time when I was a kid, I dreamt I ate a scorpion. I can still remember the taste vaguely but damned if I can describe it.

Chameleon
07-17-2008, 09:49 AM
I thought everyone dreamt in colours?

I dreams are life-like, so all my senses work. But there is also this other "awareness", almost like an extra sense which I cannot begin to describe. I sometimes transition back to the same dream in one night. Unfortunately, I forget my dreams within hours of waking up.

gypsyscarlett
07-17-2008, 11:29 AM
All my dreams are in color and I often hear people speaking as clearly as I would if awake.

I also practice lucid dreaming. In true lucid dreams- I use all my senses. I can even taste food.

I keep a dream journal for future story ideas. Never underestimate that well of inspiration. Stevenson dreamt Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Cocteau was inspired to write The Knights of the Round Table after dreaming he was watching a three-act play.

A really good book is Dreamgates by Robert Moss. There's a whole chapter on creativity.

tehuti88
07-17-2008, 06:02 PM
I'll dream that I'm looking for a toilet but I'm usually in some large public restroom and every stall I go in has some problem...dirty seat, unflushed mess and the like (pretty much like waking life when I'm at Disney or Universal).

I have that same dream. :D Variants are that the toilet is in a public place, the walls in the stall are too low or the door is nonexistent so anyone can see in, the only place to go to the bathroom is in full view of anyone, the stalls are all in use, etc. etc. etc....basically, a need to go to the bathroom, and no suitable place to do it.

Even in dreams where I do manage to use a toilet, the need to go to the bathroom is always still there! I end up going repeatedly and wondering why?? Then when I wake up, I go, and that solves it. *LOL*

It's interesting seeing the same dream from different people.

Calla Lily
07-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Count me in on the urinary dreams. :) Same ones as y'all.

Shadow_Ferret
07-17-2008, 06:07 PM
We're a creative bunch here...do the rest of you dream in full sensory mode? Color? Smells? Feelings? Taste? Touch? Sounds? I experience all five senses in my dreams and did since I was a little kid...the tornado nightmares I used to have still make me shudder.It's a dream, how would I know if I dream in color?

My dreams have always seemed real to me, I ofttimes have had trouble distinguishing between something that happened in a dream and something that happened in real life.

And when it's happening, my dreams seem like reality. So yeah, for that kind of intensity to happen, all my senses are involved.

But when I awaken, I don't remember if the dream was in color or not. The memories fade rather quickly.

AdamH
07-17-2008, 06:30 PM
The notion that anyone dreams in black and white has always struck me as grossest nonsense.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I don't think I've ever run into anyone who's dreamed in black and white...or at least, anyone who's ever admitted to it. I've always wondered where this idea that most people dream in black and white came from. :Shrug:

My dreams have always been in colour as far as I can remember (with the exception of this scary Wizard of Oz dream when I was a kid).

Enraptured
07-17-2008, 06:36 PM
My dreams are always in color, but everything is slightly... off. I don't see clear images; instead I experience the world in something that is half visual and half... emotional, I guess.

As for other senses... I sometimes hear things in dreams, but normally sounds aren't really a part of my dreams. I can't recall ever having smelled anything in a dream. I don't think I can taste anything in my dreams, although I'm not sure, since normally I don't dream about eating. And while people say it's impossible to feel pain in dreams, apparently that is not the case for me - but overall, touch is iffy. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.

Nyna
07-17-2008, 10:42 PM
My dreams are in color, and are also hugely complex, generally, with plot and characters and awesomely intricate backgrounds. Also, the PoV changes -- sometimes they're in first person -- I'm running around doing thing. Sometimes they're in third -- I'm somebody else, running around doing things. Sometimes I'm several people running around doing things. And sometimes they're in omniscient, where I am watching a bunch of other people running around and doing things from up on high. There is always some sort of story.

As for senses -- touch and sight, sure, but the others are kind of... it's like when someone's been talking to you, but you haven't been listening, and then they demand to know if you've been paying attention, so you reel off the last fifteen seconds of conversation. You didn't hear it at the time, but it was recorded anyway, so you can remember it when pressed. Dreaming is kind of like that sort of remembering, for me, knowing that something happened without remembering what it actually felt like while it was happening; knowing you just had a conversation with your brother about cheese without remembering what his voice sounded like, or what exactly was said.

But that's only what I can remember after waking up -- who knows what it's like while I'm actually dreaming.

willietheshakes
07-17-2008, 10:57 PM
I dream in colours, I dream in red...

Soccer Mom
07-17-2008, 11:24 PM
My current WIP started as a dream. I have four senses in my dreams. I don't recall smelling anything.