Promotional Items

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottAJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.americanhorrorwriter.net
Here's another thing I do that's gotten a good response. I'm sure many of you already know about CafePress.com, but if you don't, here's the skinny...
You can put anything you want on any of their products, and to do so is free to you. You upload your own graphics (like, I don't know...say...a book cover) and put it on t-shirts, coffee mugs, hats, thong underwear (no, I'm not kidding). You can order said items at cost, or you can put a markup on them (usually something like a dollar or so) and sell them.
Now, hardly anyone outside family buys your own book-branded merchandise, so I'm not suggesting you'll get rich quick off of them. You won't, and you don't want to be seen as some kind of shill by hawking them everywhere you go, but YOU can buy them and wear them to conventions, drink out of the coffee mugs, etc. They're relatively cheep, and can be included in a select number of press packs. Reviewers love to get free stuff. When people see the shirts, or whatever else you're showing off, it can help generate sales for your books. Besides, who hasn't wanted a t-shirt with their book cover on it? I have coffee mugs with the covers to all my books on them.

Okay...That's my schpiel for today...

Oh yeah...Almost forgot the link... http://www.cafepress.com

Last edited:

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I've never wanted a T-Shirt with ANYONE'S book on it. The average approach to making Cafe Press products seems to be to take a picture that was never intended to be blown up that size, slap URLs onto it, and leave it out on the internet to die. If you really want that kind of stuff, take your image to a local printer and have them do you up a load of them - it'll be much, much cheaper than CP's insane prices.

ScottAJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Agreed, the majority of those who use it don't know what they're doing as far as graphics manipulation. However, for people that do know about it, it's not such a bad thing. Besides, the one local printer I have here charges a great deal of money for crappy quality, and not nearly as much stuff.
Anyway, it was just an idea.

ScottAJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Incidentally, I also periodically get a catalogue of imprintable items, some of which are really cool. Others are really cheesy. I can't find my current catalogue right off hand, but I'll post the title of it when I find it.

mreddin

Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Cafepress

I would not be inclined to put a book cover on a coffee mug. However, assuming you own the IP to some of the artwork or you have some killer quotes that reviewers or your readership enjoy, why not put those on the mugs and tshirts? Have an artist do up a custom graphic of your main character or something along those lines. The aim of that merchandise would be to fans of your words and story. If someone asks them where they got the mug or ask about the quote, then you just got free word of mouth advertising without directly putting anything about your book on there.

Mike

CJWilkes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cjwilkes.com
mreddin said:
I would not be inclined to put a book cover on a coffee mug. However, assuming you own the IP to some of the artwork or you have some killer quotes that reviewers or your readership enjoy, why not put those on the mugs and tshirts? Have an artist do up a custom graphic of your main character or something along those lines. The aim of that merchandise would be to fans of your words and story. If someone asks them where they got the mug or ask about the quote, then you just got free word of mouth advertising without directly putting anything about your book on there.

Mike
I have used cafepress and I tend to agree that I do not like the book cover idea. It does not work to well. I mainly use my url... cjwilkes.com in black lettering. I think it looks classy, and others have said the same. It is a fun idea and offers a unique way to promote... your site :)

Status
Not open for further replies.