PDA

View Full Version : Website numbers: What's significant?

klow
07-16-2008, 02:44 AM
How many hits a month do you need to have on your website to make it worth mentioning in your bio section of a proposal?

veinglory
07-16-2008, 04:20 AM
I guess it would depend on the genre and who you are trying to impress. If you want a straw poll, for me it would be 10,000 uniques a month and up.

klow
07-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks Veinglory,
I am writing my first non-fiction book proposal and I just want to make sure I present my "platform" in the best possible way. I am worried about it not being all that impressive. In regards to the website, I just don't want to include it if it is too insignificant...so that is why I wanted to know numbers.

escritora
07-16-2008, 05:24 PM
In an agent's blog (can't remember which one) she mentioned that if a writer has 1,000 unique visitors a day she wants to know about it. So that's 30,000 (approx) unique visitors per month.

X900BattleGrape
07-17-2008, 08:39 PM
1,000 seems reasonable to me as well. In my previous work our site received even a bit less than 1,000 a day, yet given the genre and field the site related to it was actually on the high end, but you'd have to make the call here. If the site is in the realm of something where the biggest site gets traffic of under 1,000 then adjust accordingly.

cooeedownunder
07-18-2008, 09:05 AM
I don't think you need to mention how many hits. The point that you have a website in itself is an important marketing tool. I would list the website on you bio regardless of hits.

flashgordon
07-20-2008, 07:53 PM
It really depends on the niche/genre. Some websites don't get a ton of traffic, but rank so high for their very small niches that they still are considered authority sites. I would leave the numbers out, if they ask, then you can provide them. Also, it is fairly easy to see if someone is reporting an accurate traffic volume - and when they are not. I'd leave it out.