turn around

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
For some while I've been pretty down and out, not feeling like keeping going, not functioning at anything near optimal speed at all (yet working my ass off), and living in a city area filled with desperately desperate people who often speak only with themselves or the persons in their heads, or sit in the sunshine on the curb smoking their last cigarette and hassling me in a most scary way for mine, or eye the wallet in my front pocket intently. There have been fistfights on the bus and fires in the crackhouses as we ride by, and the kids' every other word in my street is some variation of fuck and anger and discontent, a constant stream. On the bus I have listened to those young able-bodied who are riding into the other city "to kick some serious ass and get my SS (Social Security), and they're gonna know I'm here when I'm done and fuck, man, I'll break her ass she don't give it to me," and, "I been in court a million times, goddam women, but I got a good judge today." I always read a book, and I am left alone.

When I was eighteen in 1976 I worked in this exact same sort of area. But I'm not eighteen anymore. And I have been going down, down, down. I know it's all good book material. I know it's the parade of life. But I can't get happy about it, because this is also my country.

I came to AW because I wanted to take a last shot at getting published, at a time when I'd stepped out of real life for the first time ever because I'd had so many personal losses. And what I found were friends. And this place has been the bridge between withdrawing from the risk of loss in the real world to being okay about giving a shit again.

It's hard to start giving a shit all over again when you've done it forever and yet you're still in the same old place, or worse. And so I was considering all this this morning, and feeling very black, very black. A bright July morning and I was black as paint. I had to go to work, to a job I (mostly) love, past and with the homeless and the schizophrenics on the street and I didn't want to go. My best brother is schizophrenic and the old pains, fears and knowledge are right there beside me as I pass. I'm not without compassion but I am with knowledge.

Later, at work, I'm working with a customer but there is someone at my periphery waiting. I look and it's one of my best friends, someone I've not seen nor been able to locate for thirteen years, from back in my June Cleaver life long ago. I recognize her first and say her name, and we're hugging and in tears in the middle of my job, I get bad looks from the boss and I just don't care. This is the right kind of not giving a shit, and I had forgotten what that felt like. We won't lose touch again, and there's so much to tell each other.

I don't have a lot of living people left in my life, other than you guys here. You have all been the bridge back. The thing I'd forgotten is that there was maybe something still left on the other side.

Last edited:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry, nerds. Very glad you met your friend again. That's wonderful and sure hope things work out for you. :Hug2:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of living people left in my life, other than you guys here. You have all been the bridge back. The thing is I'd forgotten was, that there was maybe something still left on the other side.
I like the gritty side of life, and your writing speaks volumes to me of this type of life which I've led for many years. I'd like to see this in your work someday. I'm glad you're around to enjoy the time to write and be with others who share the same spark. We'll always be here when you need us. Just take care of yourself and don't give up.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Nerds, that was very eloquent, and I really hope you've turned a corner.It;s the little thing that often starts off a chain of good stuff.( I notice this with the bipolar, something minor kicks off something MAJOR) I hope it works for you.

Love and kisses.

J

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I live one of those 'June Cleaver' lives (sans Wally and the Beav, of course)... and Nerds, if you can make me feel the reality of the kind of area you inhabit the way you just did, you're one hell of a writer. Don't quit. Keep on keepin' on. Hang in there. And enjoy finding the old friend once again.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
nerds - I'm glad you met your old friend. I hope she helps you through this rough time. I find that when I'm feeling really shitty, it's because I haven't been writing or because I've been thinking too much about myself. And when I'm feeling on top of the world, it's usually after I helped someone, volunteered, or knocked out a major number of words in my WIP. Lately, I've been feeling pretty shitty, too. Since I don't feel like writing, I think I'll go help someone - like that guy who cut in front of me on the interstate. A week in my cellar is long enough. Just knowing that I'm going to let him out makes me feel better already. Everyone should try getting rid of the shit in their cellars, too.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
:Hug2:Nerds, so sorry you've been feeling so down. Isn't it funny how you were feeling so bad and out of the blue this friend shows up? I think life is just that way sometimes, it will surprise you (in a good way) when you least expect it. Just when you needed it the most, an old friend comes into your life. I've always said you can be doing everything right in life and the big old bird of happiness will take a big crap on you and continue doing it for what seems like an eternity. That bird has been visiting my life for a good while now! I truly hope you feel better and don't give up. By the way, the way you wrote this story drew me right in. Your writing is fantastic! I also remember being 18 in 1976.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Nerds, I'm sorry life has been such a challenge. I have to say, you really placed me in the nitty-gritty parts of the city in your post. It was like I was there, if that type of engrossing description is in your writing, I bet you can weave a tale worth reading. I'm glad you've been able to reach out here and make some friends. I don't know what I'd do without my AWers helping me through tough times.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I could almost smell the city, your description was so real. Seriously.

"You know life really takes its toll
And a poet's gut reaction is to search his very soul
So much damn confusion before my eyes
But nothing seems to faze me
And this one still survives..."
The Ramones, "Poison Heart"

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nerds, that was beautiful and dark and eloquent and I'm so happy for you that you found your old friend.

Please, keep writing, and keep your chin up. :Hug2:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I run short of people too. So I have to meet new ones once in a while. And it's also good when an old one shows up to put a little spark in the old darkness. May all good be with you, nerdsRus.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pleased to play a teeny-tiny part in AW if it's one of your lifelines. I urge you to stop by the fun threads like Ray's House of Love, where the good cheer is the real thing and can turn a black day into a charcoal one, sometimes even lighter. Although I don't chat at AW, I hear it's terrific, too.

Come on by the House of Love any time you're feeling gloomy. I'll buy you your first drink and let you have the hottest of the towel boys on duty, too.

Maryn, who's had a black day or two

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't paying any attention at all when I wrote that post, I just wanted to talk to you guys about things. Have been considering tossing in the writing towel entirely, permanently, for quite a while so these comments are a surprise to me and making me think I could maybe keep on keepin' on. At least for a bit anyway.

I don't think this place can be beat for comprehension, encouragement, and mutual support. Very grateful.

:Hug2:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Later, at work, I'm working with a customer but there is someone at my periphery waiting. I look and it's one of my best friends, someone I've not seen nor been able to locate for thirteen years, from back in my June Cleaver life long ago. I recognize her first and say her name, and we're hugging and in tears in the middle of my job, I get bad looks from the boss and I just don't care.

You write like this and you're considering giving up?

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I sometimes get dragged down by what's around me. Only today I was grocery shopping and was astounded by the number of grumpy, miserable and unhappy people in just one supermarket. People who don't say thank you when you move back to make room for them; people who don't even acknowledge you with a friendly smile or a nod, and even some idiot who parked his 4WD right on the only part of the path I could get my trolley down, making me push a trolley full of groceries way out into the traffic just to get to my car!

And I started to think, "God there are some unhappy cases out there" and it made me a little unhappy. But then, someone smiled at me; someone said "thank you" when I moved for them; another lady said "you're welcome" with a big smile when I thanked her for moving back for me. So then I started to think "maybe it's not so bad after all."

Sometimes everything seems bad and then you find one or two bright spots in your day, and you start feeling a little bit of faith again. I sometimes think that's what it's like here. Whenever we're feeling like crap we can come in here and let off steam and know that there's always someone who will listen, who will care, who will say what needs to be said and who will MEAN IT!

I love that. I hope that's how it feels now for you, nerds. And I'm very glad about your friend.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I wasn't paying any attention at all when I wrote that post, I just wanted to talk to you guys about things. Have been considering tossing in the writing towel entirely, permanently, for quite a while so these comments are a surprise to me and making me think I could maybe keep on keepin' on. At least for a bit anyway.

I don't think this place can be beat for comprehension, encouragement, and mutual support. Very grateful.

I don't think you need to place a age restriction on getting published.

Practice helps to improve the writing and style. I believe the more you write, the better you become; and when you learn from what failings there are about your writing that is keeping you from success, then you're all the wiser.

Keep your chin up. I know the road is difficult sometimes, but writing is what you enjoy and creating new stories from life adventures is really cool when you come to think of it. Who else can ride a bus and pick out so much flavor from the trip?

I agree with everyone that you write very well. Maybe you can point me to a SYW story or post one for us to read. I'd be more than happy to take a look at your work.

Best wishes,

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
thanks, Spook. :Hug2:

I've never put anything up anywhere, but I'll give it some thought. Maybe one of these days.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Just to follow this up for a second, I went to work today in a real fog caused both by turning around and finding my old friend, and by the comments here. I have been just overwhelmed and full of new sorts of thoughts.

Because this is the place it is, inhabited by the people it is, I knew that I could post and find understanding. I never, ever expected the writing comments, nor was I even remotely thinking of that. Far from it. Between the reps and the posted comments here I've been given much to consider. I still need to digest what everyone has said - some have taken the time to offer extra thoughts which have taken me along new, additional lines of thinking, or, more accurately, old lines of thinking, long-abandoned avenues of writing interest I'd had when I was young and not so worn out all the time. Another turnaround.

At work I made a horrible hash of the cash register all damn day because I was really not there for thinking and considering. I didn't care much though. When I got off the bus to walk home this evening a feral-looking guy hopped off the back when I hopped off the front, and he wanted my wallet in daylight with traffic going by. And none of these things mattered, because I was so busy thinking. I just smiled at Feral Guy and walked on, thinking about maybe Being a Writer.

This place is extraordinary.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Feral Guy is stupid to mess with a woman who is upset. I'm afraid he would have got more than your wallet......a broken rib, a black eye, a ripped off testical. Just my thoughts, don't mess with Joyce when she is really upset.:D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm sorry, nerds.

No really, I am.

I'm sorry that my ADD kicked in and your title reminded me of that stupid song by Bonnie Tyler and it's going through my head and I couldn't concentrate on your post.

I like The Shadow.

Hey, why's everyone looking at me? She said FERAL, not FERRET.

Anyway, we're here for you, nerds. By the way, I'm a year older and I've been at this writing thing since I was a teen. There is no "last shot" at being published, just a continuing journey. Keep that in mind and get back to writing.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
> joyce

LOL, no, walking away worked out just fine. I think the fact that I was smiling threw him for a serious loop. I probably looked just like all the people on this street who talk with themselves.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, why's everyone looking at me? She said FERAL, not FERRET.

:D

This is correct, the guy was definitely NOT a ferret. Ferrets look better.

Thanks Ed.