Status
Not open for further replies.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Any experience on setting up book signings or sales at unusual locations where one wouldn't ordinarily be selling books? I am working on a car book on modifications for beginners, and I had been thinking of promoting it by renting vendor space at car shows like the NOPI Nationals and setting up a booth with books there. Does this sound like a good idea or a bad idea?

ScottAJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.americanhorrorwriter.net
Sounds like a good idea to me! You might want to make sure you get your table set up next to some of the fab guys, or get some othe car monkeys to read and/or endorse your book.

Ella

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sumptuosity.blogspot.com
Sounds like a great idea to me!!
Don't be shocked by the prices of booths at tradeshows. Even small ones can cost a minimum of $500. Bigger ones - into the thousands. Maybe you can share a booth, or hook-up with someone else and take a small corner.
Even if you don't sell enough books to cover your costs, it's usually the contacts you make that are the pay off.

Auto Part Stores may be interested in your book as well. It would be easier to get into locally owned shops than the chains, but doesn't hurt to ask!

Let us know how it goes!

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Thanks for the encouragement. Trade shows may be more expensive, but many car shows have places where Joe Schmoe can sell his collection of rare junkyard parts for a somewhat lower fee.

I also plan on seeing if I can have a few car magazines like Hot Rod, Sport Compact Car, and Grassroots Motorsports review it. Scott, good idea on seeing if I can also get blurbs from well known tuners.

mreddin

Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Trains

I forget which Blog I originally saw this on, but last year an Author did a book signing aboard an Amtrak train between two major cities (so the trip took the day). Supposedly this signing went quite well and if you think about it, the people on the train are a captive audience looking for something to do and many of them end up reading something. I wonder if anyone else has tried this or thought about it?

Mike

LindaAliceDewey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aaronscrossing.lindaalicedewey.com
Unusual places

MadScientistMatt said:
Any experience on setting up book signings or sales at unusual locations where one wouldn't ordinarily be selling books? I am working on a car book on modifications for beginners, and I had been thinking of promoting it by renting vendor space at car shows like the NOPI Nationals and setting up a booth with books there. Does this sound like a good idea or a bad idea?

Why rent a booth or table? There are plenty of commercial places that will let you set up a table outside their places. Any car dealership would love to have book signings--adds to their "legitimacy". They might even sponsor a gala to bringi n clients. Think about how you can bring more clients into their stores. Set up outside or inside a Checker Auto Parts store, or someplace like that. There are lots of free marketing opportunities out there. Try the Dream Cruise in Detroit. Although I believe you do have to rent space there...

Anything that draws cars. Auto auctions, car shows, parking lots where car clubs set up, etc. etc.

mreddin

Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what it is about the title of this thread, but I keep mentally changing to "Book signings in unusual...positions." This most certainly paints a different picture than the original poster intended I suspect. ;)

Kiva Wolfe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kivawolfe.net
Hi Matt:

I am planning my first signing at a local brewery. I so love their red ale, I wrote it in my book as my villain’s beer of choice. Needless to say, they were thrilled.

Last edited:

OnWriteSid

Signings at "unusual" locations

Signing at auto shows is a great idea. You may also want to consider local shows where collectors and car junkies hang out. I've been a part of one for the last six years and we're always looking for new side "features." You may even get complimentary space if you offer to donate a percentage from each book sale to a charity.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
The train station idea was similar to one of my own. I thought the airport would be a great place to do a book signing. Quick hits abound and it might give the weary travelers a smile to buy from the author. I'd probably stop and shop if the author was sitting there.

I think these ideas are great!

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perks, did you do a book signing at an airport? What's your book about? And with tightened security is it possible to do a book signing at an airport?

Just some questions since I'm working on an article about authors promoting their books on the cheap.

Nita

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
ritinrider said:
Perks, did you do a book signing at an airport? What's your book about? And with tightened security is it possible to do a book signing at an airport?

Just some questions since I'm working on an article about authors promoting their books on the cheap.

Nita

Sorry, I had forgotten that I responded here. I wasn't ignoring you. No, I have never actually done that. It would be something I would look into if I ever manage to have something to sign and sell.:)

annafallon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annaf.net
great idea

That sounds very good. I know that at Phaze.com, the home of sensual romance, some of the girls have been conducting book signings at local, classy sex toy shops. The last one was at the Pink Banana in Virginia Beach. Three of our Erotic romance authors, Bridget Midway, Leigh Ellwood and Laura Bacchi sold 45 E-book disks and paperbacks between them and got heaps more exposure. They were wrapped. Even the local BDSM club invited our Sparkler Promo manager around for a dinner and wants her to do a workshop with them.

I think anyway we can get ourselves out there is good, even one person can tell ten people.

Arousingly Yours
Anna Fallon

Status
Not open for further replies.