PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Topic?

JenNipps
07-16-2008, 12:52 AM
What do you usually like to talk/write about in regard to speeches/presentations?

So far, I've mainly talked about creativity (the Idea Pocket (http://theideapocket.wordpress.com)) and blogging, though those won't be the only things. And, actually, they could both fall under the "creativity" umbrella.

Gehanna
07-16-2008, 04:02 AM
What's Your Topic?

This is an excellent question considering that until now, I have not been very direct about what my areas of expertise are. I am an eighteen year veteran of psychiatric nursing and an advocate for psychological health services. Conflict and violence are my specialties. There are a number of topics that I address for the purpose of public speaking and the provision of educational services. Included among them are:

- Relational & Communication Skills Development
- Emotional Intelligence & Responsibility
- Stress & Anger Management
- Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Management of Violent & Aggressive Behaviors

While my primary audience has been health care employees, I hope to extend my knowledge and skills to other workplace environments and the general public. Figuring out how to accomplish this is beyond my scope of knowledge. I seriously lack marketing and self promotion abilities.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Soccer Mom
07-17-2008, 11:26 PM
I usually speak about criminal justice issues, especially in regards to juveniles.

san_remo_ave
07-18-2008, 04:12 AM
I give a lot of presentations at work. Mostly about marketing how-to or specific marketing programs.

JenNipps
07-18-2008, 05:55 AM
My current job involves absolutely no presentations. *s* Which is probably one reason why I had been finding it intimidating: out of practice.

heyjude
08-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I talk about abortion, contraception, pregnancy, crisis pregnancies, etc. Yeah, I like to keep it light. :)

talkwrite
08-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I use my latest article published or one of the books in the series I edit as a basis for a lecture. I am a regular Continuing legal education speaker around the country. The topics are based on these platforms.
Foreign Language Interpreting
Literary Translation
Listening Skills
The Judicial Environment and the Non English speaking participant.

Yeah I know, real pulse racing subject matter. I give out candy and door prizes and I sell my authors books. It works real well.

melodychef
08-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Over the past year, I've been easing into giving presentations and moderating groups. I started a Positive Critique Group last January and we meet every month. I also teach children for a half hour a week during the school year.

Just recently, I said to myself, "I have to have a topic." So I committed to my very first presentation on How to Use Humor to be Happier.

I saw John Elder Robison speak at the Backspace Conference, and he really inspired me. I came back from the conference and brainstormed until I knew what I wanted to speak on. Then I sent my proposal to my first venue and was accepted. Thanks, John.

ritinrider
08-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Normally when I speak it's on the subject of my (as yet unpublished book) scholarships for younger students. Specifically those in middle school or the early years of high school. However, I'm scheduled to give a speech in 2 weeks titled, The Porcelain Pony Comes to America. Yeah, it's a speech about the history of the toilet. My mouth over rode my brain a few weeks ago and I volunteered to enter a Toastmaster's speech contest. I need to come up with some other speaking topics though so I can practice giving speeches to groups that aren't necessarily interested in college scholarships.

Nick Russell
08-27-2008, 08:51 AM
I do several presentations on travel and the RV lifestyle, as well as some on self-publishing