PDA

View Full Version : Post Query Question

PatrickMoran2008
07-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Hello. I got a question about Queries. Actually, itís about post-queries.

Iím writing a non-fiction/biography book. Letís say I send out some queries to agents. ďDear Agent, blahblahblahblah. (Specifics for the query donít matter at this point). At the end of it of course, I offer to send a couple of sample chapters.

Then, for the purpose of answering my forthcoming question, the agent says yes, please send the chapters.

My big question is, what else do I specifically send the agent besides the sample chapters? Is it a case-by-case thing, or is their a standard package you usually send the agent?

Iíve studied a bit in here and have learned that even with non-fiction, some writers prefer to complete their entire book before attempting to shop it, while others do not, writing a few key chapters and other things instead.

My goal, probably like most is to find representation before the entire book is completed. As a first time author, thatís probably more unrealistic but hey; shouldnít prevent me setting my goals.

At any rate, my primary question is when you get a response from a query from an agent to see your work (sample chapters in this case), what else should be included with the package?

Any help/advice is appreciated. Thank you much.

gettingby
07-15-2008, 07:58 PM
You are going to need a proposal. Nonfiction is sold on proposal. Even if you have the book finished, it is my understanding, you still need a proposal.

PatrickMoran2008
07-15-2008, 08:16 PM
So when searching for an agent, post-query have a book proposal ready?

gettingby
07-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Yes. I believe you are going to need one. I did not start querying until after I finished my proposal.

PatrickMoran2008
07-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Thank you :)