PDA

View Full Version : Is this just something men DO?

Mystic Blossom
07-15-2008, 06:46 PM
So my ex boyfriend (also a very close friend) is growing a beard. I haven't seen it yet as he lives across the pond, but I will apparently get to see it when I see him in October. And yay, whoop dee do. Facial hair. At least, that's what it is to me. But ever since he started growing it, every conversation goes like this:

Me: How was your day?
Him: Well, my beard is excellent :D
Me: But what about you?
Him: Oh, I'm great.
Me: That's good.
Him: It's because I've been getting so many compliments about my beard. :D

And I thought he was just being him, until I was browsing the archives of the online comic Penny Arcade and found this. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/01/28/)

So I ask you, men of the world and women who know men better than I, do all men love their facial hair more than themselves? Should I worry that one day, his beard will become a powerful force that will control his every move? Is it doing that already?

I'm so bored at work, if you couldn't tell.

Seaclusion
07-15-2008, 06:49 PM
I've had my beard for 31 years now. Longer than any other relationship (except mom of course) I've had. I've grown quite attached to it and it to me. It's a part of my personality and I wouldn't know how to act if it were not there.

Richard

Tink
07-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Some women are lucky that they haven't seen beneath the beard on the man they have been with 30 yrs....:D

Edited because this is in no way a referance to Seaclusion. I am sure he looks just fine with or without his beard...and no, I am not sucking up. lol:D

MoonWriter
07-15-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm not into facial hair. I've never had a beard and neither have any of the women I've dated.

(do your part to keep this world a better place, don't forget to double space.)

quickWit
07-15-2008, 06:54 PM
My beard told me to tell you that beards are perfectly harmless and nothing to be concerned about.

Tink
07-15-2008, 06:58 PM
My beard told me to tell you that beards are perfectly harmless and nothing to be concerned about.Unless of course you have crawly things living in there...:D

MoonWriter;2553825]I'm not into facial hair. I've never had a beard and neither have any of the women I've dated.:roll:

Jcomp
07-15-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't know if it's just facial hair that men love more than themselves so much as it's any project that they're working on. Growing and grooming a beard is, I imagine, something of a project. Just like working out. Sometimes the project is yourself, or it's external, but whatever it is you want everyone to know that it's going great.

Xoote
07-15-2008, 07:01 PM
i dont like facial hair and neither does my man... so thats a bonus

NeuroFizz
07-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Hey, give us a little mirror time. It's the one way we can change our look without taking 45 minutes each morning brushing sh*t on our cheeks, forehead, nose and chin, smearning sh*t on our eyelids, brushing sh*t on our eyelashes (top and bottom), drawing a line of sh*t around our eyes, packing extra lotion-sh*t in all of the wrinkles around our eyes and on our foreheads, and putting an extra dab on that chin-zit, smearing sh*t on our lips then drawing darker sh*t around the smeared on lip-sh*t, and then slicing a line of sh*t where our cheekbones should be.

Men are so vain about their beards, aren't they?

dolores haze
07-15-2008, 07:04 PM
I have never seen my husband's chin. I begin to suspect that he doesn't actually have one.

Robert Toy
07-15-2008, 07:04 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l253/RT_2006/funny-pictures-little-kitten-is-big.jpg

Tink
07-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey, give us a little mirror time. It's the one way we can change our look without taking 45 minutes each morning brushing sh*t on our cheeks, forehead, nose and chin, smearning sh*t on our eyelids, brushing sh*t on our eyelashes (top and bottom), drawing a line of sh*t around our eyes, packing extra lotion-sh*t in all of the wrinkles around our eyes and on our foreheads, and putting an extra dab on that chin-zit, smearing sh*t on our lips then drawing darker sh*t around the smeared on lip-sh*t, and then slicing a line of sh*t where our cheekbones should be.

You aren't alittle upset with the whole make-up routine sh*t thing, are you? :D

oarsman
07-15-2008, 07:09 PM
I've grown a beard before and was told it made me looked 10 years older. I haven't grown it back since.

I have a friend who told me that he won't ever grow a beard again. He said he grew one once and women wouldn't leave him alone...like it was a curse or something.

rhymegirl
07-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Well, it's like this...

My husband grows his beard mostly because I like it. He knows I like it. I think he looks good with a beard.

And then he shaves it off. (Because it gets itchy or he's just sick of it.) He just shaved it off on Sunday mostly because he's getting gray hairs in there and he wants to look younger.

Jersey Chick
07-15-2008, 07:13 PM
My husband's tried to grow a beard and a 'stashe. But it doesn't work. There are patches just beneath his bottom lip, where hair just refuses to grow. And patches on the sides of his jaw as well. But, like he says, "When's the last time you saw a Cherokee with a full beard?"

Point taken right there...

NeuroFizz
07-15-2008, 07:19 PM
You aren't alittle upset with the whole make-up routine sh*t thing, are you? :D
No, just thought it was ironic pointing out folly in men when they engage in a little face decorating.

At least a beard is a good flavor-saver, and it doubles as a useful tool in giving an all-over, beard-rub.

Stacia Kane
07-15-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't know if it's just facial hair that men love more than themselves so much as it's any project that they're working on. Growing and grooming a beard is, I imagine, something of a project. Just like working out. Sometimes the project is yourself, or it's external, but whatever it is you want everyone to know that it's going great.

I agree, absolutely. My husband grows a beard when he's bored. Then he'll get sick of it and shave it off. Or he'll grow it because one of the kids asked him to and then will shave it when they're tired of it. But he loves talking about it and examining it. I like it once it's grown in (I like him bearded or not) but the in-between stage is too rough on my skin.

I also suspect it's got something to do with masculinity. I wouldn't go so far as to say a beard is a visible penis or anything, but not all men can grow a good beard. Some of them have patchy spots or the hair never grows in thick enough or whatever. So I would imagine men who can grow a nice beard feel a little smug. In a cute way.

There's a gentleman who has a son in my daughter's class at school; last year he grew an absolutely gorgeous beard. Very, very thick and dark. I admit I found it really attractive and found him more attractive as a result (all that testosterone!) I told him it was a nice beard one day too (without, of course, mentioning testosterone or virility; I believe my exact words were, "Hey, that's a nice beard!" His face lit up.)

SPMiller
07-15-2008, 07:23 PM
I remember a pretty Indian girl from a year or so ago. After I kissed her, it went something like this...

Her: I've never kissed a man with facial hair before.
Me: Neither have I.
Her: [laughs]
Me: So how was it?

And I ain't sayin' what happened afterward.

I've only had my facial hair for, oh, seven years now. I'm not sure that I'll have it forever, but it's something I always wanted to do and I grew it as soon as I had the opportunity.

Seaclusion
07-15-2008, 07:25 PM
I remember a pretty Indian girl from a year or so ago. After I kissed her, it went something like this...

Her: I've never kissed a man with facial hair before.
Me: Neither have I.
Her: [laughs]
Me: So how was it?

And I ain't sayin' what happened afterward.

I've only had my facial hair for, oh, seven years now. I'm not sure that I'll have it forever, but it's something I always wanted to do and I grew it as soon as I had the opportunity.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes. Some women really hate it, but most really like the wiskers.

Richard

Maryn
07-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Growing and grooming a beard is, I imagine, something of a project. Just like working out. Sometimes the project is yourself, or it's external, but whatever it is you want everyone to know that it's going great.That's exactly how it seems with men who are executing a change in their appearance.

Whether he's growing a beard, hitting the gym, or changing the way he dresses, it's pretty common for a guy to be able to talk of little else until the beard is grown, the body is toned, or the new look is complete.

Maryn, who's been through the facial hair thing with boyfriends, husband, and now son, who talked facial hair too much over the weekend

Tink
07-15-2008, 07:46 PM
No, just thought it was ironic pointing out folly in men when they engage in a little face decorating.

[quote]At least a beard is a good flavor-saver:scared:,
and it doubles as a useful tool in giving an all-over, beard-rub.:D

Shadow_Ferret
07-15-2008, 08:21 PM
I grow mine on a whim. I shave it on a whim.

Some women get perms or dye their hair, I grow a beard.

It's not a permanent accessory.

And when I'm growing it I don't talk about it like it's a big deal, because it's not. In fact, when someone says, "Are you growing a beard," I say, "Maybe, how about them Brewers, huh? 3 All-Stars this year."

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-15-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm not into facial hair. I've never had a beard and neither have any of the women I've dated.

They will, eventually. When they reach the right age. :)

Ol' Boy started growing a beard the day he and I had our first date. With the exception of an eight-year stint with a lumber company when beards were against company policy, he's always had one. And I've never seen him without his mustache, which (according to him) he started growing the instant he could do so as a young man).

A man without a beard is like a boiled egg without salt. :)

Seaclusion
07-15-2008, 08:31 PM
A man without a beard is like a boiled egg without salt. :)

Wouldn't that be a man without head hair?

Richard

Chameleon
07-15-2008, 08:36 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l253/RT_2006/funny-pictures-little-kitten-is-big.jpg

This is so fucking cute!

I don't know how I feel about full-grown beards. I used to be totally opposed to them (I keep thinking of living creatures and food in there). But now that I have seen some attractive guys sporting nicely maintained beards, I think they deserve a chance.

For the ladies who've never seen their men without beards...I don't know how you do it. I would make them shave it at least once...to see what's under there..lol

rhymegirl
07-15-2008, 08:41 PM
They will, eventually. When they reach the right age. :)

:roll: That's so true, it's funny.

James81
07-15-2008, 08:44 PM
I have a goatee, which I never talk about ever.

However, last winter I decided for the first time in my life that I was going to grow a full beard, and it changed my life. lol

Well, not THAT big a deal, but it was a pretty big thing to me at the time for some reason. I can't explain why, but when it grew out I felt different. I felt like I could chop down a large oak tree, carry it on my shoulders like a lumberjack, and then go home and boss my woman around while eating beef jerkey.

Robert Toy
07-15-2008, 08:47 PM

However, last winter I decided for the first time in my life that I was going to grow a full beard, and it changed my life. lol

Well, not THAT big a deal, but it was a pretty big thing to me at the time for some reason. I can't explain why, but when it grew out I felt different. I felt like I could chop down a large oak tree, carry it on my shoulders like a lumberjack, and then go home and boss my woman around while eating beef jerkey.
How did you feel after you woke up in the hospital? ;)

Seaclusion
07-15-2008, 08:48 PM

You'll never get thrown out of the man club with that attitude.

Richard

MarkButler
07-15-2008, 08:49 PM
A beard is an outward sign of testosterone. Wimmen can't grow em so they are proof that you are what you are.

SPMiller
07-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Well, they can grow facial hair, but IME it usually takes until their 80s or 90s before their hormone levels shift enough for that to happen.

Mystic Blossom
07-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Women totally can, Mark. And having a beard gives you the complete right to eat beef jerky.

MarkButler
07-15-2008, 08:53 PM
mmmm, jerky.

Williebee
07-15-2008, 08:55 PM
My wife didn't want me to grow a beard. Winter time about 12 years ago she said, "sure, whatever". Now, she won't let me shave it. She likes it sometimes, loves it others.

James81
07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
My wife didn't want me to .......she said, "sure, whatever". .... she won't let me ..... She likes it sometimes, loves it others.

You just negated the whole beard growing experience.

Sassee
07-15-2008, 08:58 PM
You know, we have a friend that always wears a goatee. Every few years he shaves it off completely to show people why he has one to begin with.

He looks weird without it.

Then there's my husband, who doesn't like any more than a few days growth, and I think he looks weird with facial hair.

*shrug*

As far as the mysterious appeal to women, it goes like this: more hair = more testosterone = more man, period.

Yes, my husband is a hairy beast, why do you ask? :D

Joe270
07-15-2008, 09:13 PM
My husband's tried to grow a beard and a 'stashe. But it doesn't work. There are patches just beneath his bottom lip, where hair just refuses to grow. And patches on the sides of his jaw as well. But, like he says, "When's the last time you saw a Cherokee with a full beard?"

I'm the same way. I can grow a little on my upper lip, which looks stupid. I can get some on the end of my chin, with a stripe underneath. I can't grow anything on the cheeks or cheekbones, or under my lower lip.

I can't even grow sideburns below about the middle of my ear.

I have three chest hairs which my wife giggles about.

But, every since the whole 'metrosexual' bit came about, I'm suddenly trendy. And I don't have to wax to achieve the look.

NeuroFizz
07-15-2008, 11:18 PM
A beard is an outward sign of testosterone. Wimmen can't grow em so they are proof that you are what you are.
Hey, Mark. I hope all is well with you.

And, I've seen some women in the gym who, I swear, had five o'clock shadow. But I think these are cases of better living through chemistry.

maestrowork
07-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Being Asian, I had a hard time growing anything on my face other than a few stray whiskers here and there. I tried to grow a mustache in college and the result was pathetic, if not disastrous.

Then something changed. I don't know what, but maybe I had a second puberty or somebody was feeding me extra testosterone or something. I had a really nice goatee a few years ago. I have to say, I looked very different. Very. Now I just have stubble -- not quite clean shaven and not quite a goatee.

I still can't grow a beard. It's not going to happen in my lifetime.

But I am by no means obsessed with my facial hair. I just don't like looking like I'm still 16... (put a baseball cap on me and I'd look 12).

Breddings
07-15-2008, 11:31 PM
I guess we can't embed videos here.

This thread made me think of the beard skit (http://youtube.com/watch?v=nYuOurhglz8) from Kids in the Hall.

nerds
07-15-2008, 11:49 PM

This is it exactly.

All the men in my family have grown beards every winter and shaven them come Spring, including my late father. My son, who never knew my father, grew up amongst these men and stories and photos of those no longer here. The moment he had three facial hairs the project began. He shaved and shaved hard with a dull blade to make them come in coarse and, hopefully, multiply. He grew a cookie duster. (moustache). And what once was sparse and discouraging became, after about four years, the real deal. He doesn't ever comment on it but this is his connection to the men who matter to him. A project of emulation, and love.

jennifer75
07-15-2008, 11:55 PM

I agree...And just wait, when he accidentally trims too far, or has an uneven shave.....oh all hell breaks loose.

Gravity
07-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Yarp, I gots me a beard. My reason? It gives my head an actual shape (other than the casaba melon it resembles sans hair). In boot camp, when the sadistic Army barbers well and truly shaved me, the end result left me looking a little like Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket.

Now that I'm in my mid-fifties, my hair and beard have gone mostly gray, with a bit of black still left. Truth to tell, I think I look darn spiffy.

WriteKnight
07-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Yes, it is something that men 'do'. And I'm guessing he's YOUR age? Twenty-ish? So it will be his FIRST beard. And he'll be exceptionally interested in it.

It's a right of passage.

Depending on how it looks, and how it feels TO HIM... he may or may not keep it.

I've had mine for going on - thirty two years. I occasionally alter the shape - full beard, goatee, high, low... depending on my mood. But I keep a beard there.

I shaved once in '87.

People DID NOT recognize me. Took me for one of my brothers.

Mystic Blossom
07-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Actually, he's almost 25. He's grown facial hair before, so this is a pattern for him. He'll forget to shave for a few days, and then excitedly tell me what a great decision it was.

James81
07-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Yes, it is something that men 'do'. And I'm guessing he's YOUR age? Twenty-ish? So it will be his FIRST beard. And he'll be exceptionally interested in it.

It's a right of passage.

Depending on how it looks, and how it feels TO HIM... he may or may not keep it.

I've had mine for going on - thirty two years. I occasionally alter the shape - full beard, goatee, high, low... depending on my mood. But I keep a beard there.

I shaved once in '87.

People DID NOT recognize me. Took me for one of my brothers.

Sort of like that episode of Home Improvement where Tim had the beard and Al had shaved.

Shadow_Ferret
07-16-2008, 12:31 AM
As far as the mysterious appeal to women, it goes like this: more hair = more testosterone = more man, period.

Really?

Sort of like the large hands and large feet thing?

Seaclusion
07-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Here's a reliable method for determining the amount of testosterone that was present when the person was growing up. Hold your hand on a flat surface. If the middle finger is substantially longer than the ring finger--there was a lot of testosterone present. If it is about the same length or shorter there was very little. Womens fingers (middle and ring) tend to be the same length while in men the middle finger is longer.

Richard

NeuroFizz
07-16-2008, 12:37 AM
So, if a man takes off his shirt, and it looks like he's still wearing a sweater, that sets women to drooling? Must be lots of the BIG T in that hound dog.

NeuroFizz
07-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Here's a reliable method for determining the amount of testosterone that was present when the person was growing up. Hold your hand on a flat surface. If the middle finger is substantially longer than the ring finger--there was a lot of testosterone present. If it is about the same length or shorter there was very little. Womens fingers (middle and ring) tend to be the same length while in men the middle finger is longer.

Richard
And all this time, I thought all those roided-out gym-ticks were flipping me off.

Shadow_Ferret
07-16-2008, 12:45 AM
So, if a man takes off his shirt, and it looks like he's still wearing a sweater, that sets women to drooling?
My wife doesn't drool over hairy backs, she gets sort of quesey.

I do too.

It reminds me of the commercial from several years back where this guy is a masseusse and he's going to different clients and one has this really hairy back and shoulders and the guy is turning away so he doesn't have to see it as he gets ready to give the guy a massage.

Can't remember what the product was.

I just got the willies thinking about it.

creamofmushroom
07-16-2008, 12:50 AM
well u have to take into consideration the fact that some men actually look better with beards than without (and sometimes i cant help but say that a moustache makes a guy look distinguished)
facial hair is okay unless u look like some pre-historic human who has wondered out of the timeline or something like that.

TrainofThought
07-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Love goatees. :)

Rolling Thunder
07-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Love goatees. :)
http://www.sarasotaredhorseranch.com/uploads/3/6/2/9/362932/2081252.jpg

TrainofThought
07-16-2008, 12:57 AM
http://www.sarasotaredhorseranch.com/uploads/3/6/2/9/362932/2081252.jpgThat's HAWT!

rhymegirl
07-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Womens fingers (middle and ring) tend to be the same length while in men the middle finger is longer.

Richard

Nope. My middle finger is longer than my ring finger.

Seaclusion
07-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Nope. My middle finger is longer than my ring finger.

Well, it is a relative measurement. If your middle finger is 3/8inch longer then it would mean something, but a small difference means a small amount of testosterone present. ( BTW, women have testosterone too)

Richard

maestrowork
07-16-2008, 01:03 AM

Richard

I have testosterone to spare, then. But why can't I grow a beard?

freezer burned
07-16-2008, 01:05 AM
"There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless — boys and women — and I am neither one." -Greek saying

My beard looks like Henry David Thoreau's neck beard.

Seaclusion
07-16-2008, 01:06 AM
I have testosterone to spare, then. But why can't I grow a beard?

Genetics, I presume.

Richard

Mr Flibble
07-16-2008, 01:07 AM
I have to say, my hubby isn't allowed to shave his beard. He doesn't grow much hair above his waist ( I always reckon he's a satyr. Goat downstairs, no hair upstairs. I have more hair on my arms than he does, and he has about three hairs under his armpits.) but he does have a nice little goatee, which he makes me trim lol.

I won't let him shave it though. He looks far too young without it. And he looks real naughty with it. I like naughty. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v319/tankexmortis/Smileys/th_b55c65b4.gif

Fingers
07-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Ive had a beard ever since I got out of the army. I never had to shave til I got to basic training. I was summarily marched to the PX (post exchange. kinda like a GI 7-11) and made me buy a razor and shaving cream. I hated scraping my face everyday. When I got out of the Army I vowed to never shave again. Over the course of the last 30 or so years Ive shaved my beard maybe three times. The last time was in 96 for my mom and dads 50th anniversary. I dont talk about my beard anymore than I talk about any other part of my body which is to say pretty much never. My wife likes my beard. However she does tend to get upset when I cut my hair.

As for the finger length thing, on my right hand my middle finger is longer than my ring finger. The left hand my middle finger is longer than the ring finger, but only because there is only about and inch and a half of finger. No way to compare and I dont remember what it looked like when I had it.

yer pal Brian

SPMiller
07-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Although I have no problem growing and maintaining my mustache-goatee combo, there's one little patch on each of my cheeks where no hair grows at all. I couldn't grow a true full beard if I wanted to--I'd look ridiculous.

I also have only a few hairs on my chest--right around the nipples, actually--which I consider a good thing in modern US society. I could shave 'em, but when there's only a few, why bother?

Mr Flibble
07-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Wait I just did the finger thing. I think I'm a man! Seriously it's waaay longer.

*checks knickers* Whew. But then I am an 'honourary lad' for lad's nights out. Pisses off the girlfriends no end, but we sit and talk rugby, wrestling, computer games and sci fi films, drink lots of beer and play pool.

Oh crap!

*checks knickers again* Whew.

There's something odd here....I think it's me.

NeuroFizz
07-16-2008, 01:16 AM
Wait I just did the finger thing. I think I'm a man! Seriously it's waaay longer.

*checks knickers* Whew. But then I am an 'honourary lad' for lad's nights out. Pisses off the girlfriends no end, but we sit and talk rugby, wrestling, computer games and sci fi films, drink lots of beer and play pool.

Oh crap!

*checks knickers again* Whew.

There's something odd here....I think it's me.
Can you pee four feet off the bow of a boat?

milhistbuff1
07-16-2008, 01:16 AM
My beard helps hide scar or two I rather not have exposed. It has led to some funny situations though. One time I was observing a class for my education courses. So I walk in and tell the teacher I'm here to observe, she responds " From the district?" I was 21 at the time, just a goatee and mustache. I can grow a full one if need be.

maestrowork
07-16-2008, 01:17 AM

I can pee further.

NeuroFizz
07-16-2008, 01:19 AM
I can pee further.
Cut the existentialism, Ray. How about peeing farther?

Mr Flibble
07-16-2008, 01:19 AM

http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/images/smilies/shrug.gifI've never tried. If I go the 'reverse dog leg' I might manage it? I might need a few pints to prep me of course.

Gravity
07-16-2008, 01:31 AM
(and sometimes i cant help but say that a moustache makes a guy look distinguished)

Agreed. Two words: David Niven.

maestrowork
07-16-2008, 01:35 AM
Agreed. Two words: David Niven.

Or this guy:

http://www.aa2sbu.org/aaezine/images/C/CharlieChan.jpg

sassandgroove
07-16-2008, 01:46 AM
My husband has a beard. *Swoon* When I met him, he would grow it then shave it when it got scraggly. I told him the beard was handsome and he invested in a beard trimmer. :) He has a baby face. The beard is all manly. And it tickles. ;)

My mom has never seen my dad without a mustache. She says a kiss without a mustache is like a day without sunshine.

rhymegirl
07-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Well, it is a relative measurement. If your middle finger is 3/8inch longer then it would mean something, but a small difference means a small amount of testosterone present. ( BTW, women have testosterone too)

Richard

I don't really feel like measuring it. My ring finger and my index finger--now those two fingers are the same length on each hand.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-16-2008, 01:51 AM

Richard

Mine's 3/8th inch longer on my left and 1/4 inch longer on my right. Hmmmm...

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-16-2008, 01:53 AM
http://www.sarasotaredhorseranch.com/uploads/3/6/2/9/362932/2081252.jpg

That's... that's... just... squicky.

rhymegirl
07-16-2008, 01:57 AM
Mine's 3/8th inch longer on my left and 1/4 inch longer on my right. Hmmmm...

Ohhhhh...since OFG measured, I had to do it, too. Mine's about 5/8th inch longer. Oh no......

WriteKnight
07-16-2008, 02:03 AM
Mine's a nail longer.

And here's the thing with testosterone and the 'hair' connection. EXCEPTIONALLY high testosterone, causes LOSS of hair on the head. Go figure.

Stacia Kane
07-16-2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah, my ring finger is a centimeter shorter than my middle finger (since I don't have a ruler with real measurements). According to the conversion table I found, 1 centimeter is .393 inches. I have no idea what that means (1/3 of an inch?) but as my body wasn't even welcoming enough to testosterone to conceive a boy instead of a girl--twice--I seriously doubt I'm soaking in the stuff.

freezer burned
07-16-2008, 06:22 AM
Mine's a nail longer.

And here's the thing with testosterone and the 'hair' connection. EXCEPTIONALLY high testosterone, causes LOSS of hair on the head. Go figure.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n68/miladie14/Mr_T.jpg
Kind of like this?

Snowstorm
07-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Mystic Blossom, is this his first beard? Perhaps he's always talking about it because it's so new and exciting ... for him.

Jersey Chick
07-16-2008, 08:53 AM

We joke that my husband, who is half Native American and half Spanish, must be Spanish from the neck down. He's a fuzzy guy - but it stops at his face. Well, parts of his face, anyway. He tries every winter to get the goatee going. But it just doesn't come in all the way. And what's worse, it isn't even patchy symmetrically. One side always grows just a bit thicker than the other and he looks ridiculous. After about a week or so, he gets disgusted and shaves.

Until the next time the urge to sprout facial hair hits...

Chameleon
07-16-2008, 09:36 AM

Richard

I don't have a ruler or anything, but my middle finger is way longer than my ring finger. Does that me I got more testosterone in my system? Do I need to start taking estrogen pills, doc?

Dang it, I'm starting to develop a complex here.

Chameleon
07-16-2008, 09:41 AM
"There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless boys and women and I am neither one." -Greek saying

That Greek saying can't be true. There are women out there with beards, though you'd probably never know it.

I also have only a few hairs on my chest--right around the nipples, actually--which I consider a good thing in modern US society. I could shave 'em, but when there's only a few, why bother?

In modern society, some women still prefer their men with some hair on their body than none. You got the best of both worlds here: some hair, but not enough to shave. Keep it.

Elodie-Caroline
07-16-2008, 10:43 AM
:Shrug:I'd be pretty embarrassed if someone mentioned my beard :D

Elodie

oswann
07-16-2008, 11:12 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44091000/jpg/_44091071_pa_beard_weiser.jpg

I've been working on mine. Too much?

Os.

Chameleon
07-16-2008, 11:18 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44091000/jpg/_44091071_pa_beard_weiser.jpg

Os.

I puked a little in my mouth.

oswann
07-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I puked a little in my mouth.

:tongue

Os.

Joe270
07-16-2008, 11:46 AM

Perhaps evolution is involved here. It would seem the male who could stimulate the female with that particular appendage would be more favorable to the females, who allowed him to breed.

Hence, males with longer middle fingers are more successful in the population.

Women rule the world, I tell ya.

Guys, ya better be giving them what they want, or you'll lose it pdq. It's gotta make you wonder about the big ears and bald heads on men, though.

Pagey's_Girl
07-16-2008, 04:47 PM

Os.

So that's where all the hair gel went!

freezer burned
07-17-2008, 02:23 AM
Guys, ya better be giving them what they want, or you'll lose it pdq. It's gotta make you wonder about the big ears and bald heads on men, though.
Big ears? Better to listen with. Bald head? Well, say you're stuck on a desert island with nothing to signal for help with...ah-ha! You have a bald head with which you can reflect sunlight!

Silver King
07-17-2008, 03:01 AM
I've had a full beard most of my adult life until a few months ago, when I went to a new barber. When he finished cutting my hair, he said he'd throw in a beard trim for free. So he went to work. And worked. And worked, for what seemed like thirty minutes. When he finished, I was left with a half-inch strip that went from one side of my face to the other like one continuous sideburn.

Strangely, it looked exactly like the barber's miserable excuse for a beard. I didn't say anything to the guy, but I haven't been back to his shop since.

When I got home, my wife was appalled, much more so than I was. I shaved off what little the barber had left and figured I'd grow a new beard in no time. That was my plan, anyway, until a number of people remarked how much younger I seemed without the beard. Some admitted that I looked strange without it, but definitely younger.

So alas, after believing all this time that I never possessed an ounce of vanity in my shriveled soul, the idea of appearing younger has me shaving every morning to feed that delusion.

maestrowork
07-17-2008, 03:09 AM
Barber?

That was your first mistake. Then came the delusional vanity. Soon there will be Orlando Bloom.

Chameleon
07-17-2008, 03:13 AM
Soon there will be Orlando Bloom.

Listen, mister. Leave O.B. alone!

maestrowork
07-17-2008, 03:14 AM
Listen, mister. Leave O.B. alone!

But what about G.Y.N.?

Joycecwilliams
07-17-2008, 03:19 AM
But what about G.Y.N.?

Is that short for Grow Your Nose? Or are you talking about and OB/GYN?

Joycecwilliams
07-17-2008, 03:20 AM
I've had a full beard most of my adult life until a few months ago, when I went to a new barber. When he finished cutting my hair, he said he'd throw in a beard trim for free. So he went to work. And worked. And worked, for what seemed like thirty minutes. When he finished, I was left with a half-inch strip that went from one side of my face to the other like one continuous sideburn.

Strangely, it looked exactly like the barber's miserable excuse for a beard. I didn't say anything to the guy, but I haven't been back to his shop since.

When I got home, my wife was appalled, much more so than I was. I shaved off what little the barber had left and figured I'd grow a new beard in no time. That was my plan, anyway, until a number of people remarked how much younger I seemed without the beard. Some admitted that I looked strange without it, but definitely younger.

So alas, after believing all this time that I never possessed an ounce of vanity in my shriveled soul, the idea of appearing younger has me shaving every morning to feed that delusion.

Gee I thought I was the only one who got bad haircuts...

Chameleon
07-17-2008, 03:24 AM
But what about G.Y.N.?

I guess I set myself up for that one. :Shrug:

Gravity
07-17-2008, 03:33 AM

Os.

Holy moley. Is that Treebeard...?