Status
Not open for further replies.

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
I am a non-fiction writer, but when I do dabble in fiction, it is flash fiction--under 1000 words. Does that fit in this category?
Eek!
I am such a fiction newbie!

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Cate said:
I am a non-fiction writer, but when I do dabble in fiction, it is flash fiction--under 1000 words. Does that fit in this category?
Eek!
I am such a fiction newbie!

I would think it does. :)

Even with flash fiction, you still have all the various genres and such to experiment with.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Sure. But flash has more to do with length than genre. I think the best flash storeis are probably in Horror...?

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
maestrowork said:
Sure. But flash has more to do with length than genre. I think the best flash storeis are probably in Horror...?

Could be. I've never thought much about it. I've seen some intersting ones in romance, too, though.

In the contest I've been working on this year, there was a short-short story category. Some of the ones in it could definitely qualifiy as flash fiction.

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
I can't seem to write anything BUT flash fiction! I just run out of words.

This, is why I am not a fiction writer.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I think there's some good humor flash fiction, too.

Cate, flash is more about length and less about genre. Just as a novel can be any genre -- humor, horror, scifi, fantasy, romance, contemporary -- so can flash fiction.

Anatole Ghio

Ironic Paranormal
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Maestro feels the best flash pieces are in horror... do you mean the horror section of this board?

I've read some really good flash stuff in contemporary lit. Grace Paleys last short story collection had some really good flash stuff, and there are compilations of current flash writing out there.

It's just a length, and like anything else, genre is the mode of writing, so it all depends upon the writer to utlize the length in the best way possible, given the mode they work in.

This is one of my interests right now, flash writing, since it's the ideal blog length... almost all my blog writing is flash fiction. Anything longer would be pushing reader attention spans given the competition for viewer time the web naturally promotes... I just know if I were to post anything over 500 words, I would lose some readers.

pixiejuice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lauraraeamos.com
Hmm... I thought the abundance of flash fiction stories were literary/mainstream... I've seen humor before too. But some other genres (Sci-Fi, Horror) would be hard to do, I would think, because you don't have the room to set up another completely different world.

Status
Not open for further replies.