PDA

View Full Version : Crock around the Clock....

threedogpeople
07-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Vegetarian Vegetable Soup

1.5 cups chopped onions
2 stalks sliced celery
1 cup of sliced carrots (or baby carrots)
10 ounce package frozen corn (or fresh)
10 ounce package frozen green beans (or fresh)
1 cup chopped zucchini
1 drained & rinsed can of kidney beans or black eyed peas (if you want)
1 drained can of hominy (if you want)
1 tsp garlic powder or 2 smashed cloves of fresh garlic
6 cups nonfat veggie broth (chicken is OK too but not vegetarian)
3/4 cup tomato paste
3/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
1 bay leaf (if you want IMPORTANT to remove it before serving)

Dump into crock pot, stir gently.

Cook on high 3 - 4 hours or medium for 7-9 hours

You can put this together the night before, put the clay liner into the fridge overnight (mine is removable) and then put it on to cook in the AM.

threedogpeople
07-16-2008, 09:13 AM
What? What? No one else has anything to contribute. I thought we were EATERS....uhhhmmm, writers....

Kitrianna
07-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Sorry, left my crockpot recipes at home. Ask Yeshanu...she has them and can post 'em for anyone who wants to try or wait until Friday and I'll put 'em up :tongue

Sarpedon
07-16-2008, 09:37 PM
ooh! thanks, I've been looking for vegetarian crock pot recipes.

Kitrianna
07-16-2008, 09:50 PM
ooh! thanks, I've been looking for vegetarian crock pot recipes.

Where those websites I posted in Cheap Easy Dinners no good?

Sarpedon
07-16-2008, 10:26 PM
They were, thanks

I'm still looking. :D one can never have too many recipes.

Kitrianna
07-16-2008, 10:29 PM
They were, thanks

I'm still looking. :D one can never have too many recipes.

You can if you store them all in your head...like I do. :tongue

Kitrianna
07-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Ok, I sit corrected. I had my three fav crockpot recipes posted on another thread, so without further ado...

Crock Pot Bean Casserole

5-6 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
1 medium onion, diced
lb. Lean ground beef (you can use regular ground beef, but this eliminates having to drain it)
3 cans pork and beans in tomato sauce (you can substitute other beans for 2 of the cans, but drain them first)
cup ketchup
2-3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon liquid smoke (look for this near the barbeque sauce in the grocery store)

Combine beef, bacon and onion in a frying pan. Cook until onions are translucent and beef is no longer pink. Put meat mixture into crock pot and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. I do NOT recommend using high for this recipe as it tends to dry out the beans and can leave some of the casserole burned on the sides.

Crock Pot Stew

1 lb. Stewing beef cut into bite size pieces
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 to 3 medium carrots sliced into rounds
1 large cooking onion diced
3 to 4 cloves garlic minced
can water
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Brown beef and onions in a frying pan, but don not fully cook the beef. Add mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook until mushrooms are slightly softened and you can smell the garlic. Combine with remaining ingredients in crock pot, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5. If gravy is too thin, strain out vegetables and meat. Put gravy into a small sauce pan and whisk in 1 to 2 tablespoon corn starch or gravy mix. Bring to a boil and then add back to meat and veggies. Serve over mashed potatoes.

Green Pepper Casserole

This one is inspired by my love of stuffed peppers, but my dislike of the soggy pepper itself.

1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
lb. Lean ground beef
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (or 1 can pieces and stems well drained)
4 green onions with tops, sliced (or 1 medium cooking onion)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup instant rice
cup water

Combine beef and onions in a frying pan. Cook until beef is no longer pick. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for another minute or until you can smell the garlic cooking (do not burn the garlic, it tastes very bad). Pour mixture into crock pot and add tomatoes, stirring well to combine. Add salt and pepper if desired, but I recommend waiting until the end to do this. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5. At the very end, turn crock pot off and add water and instant rice. Stir to combine and recover. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Your rice ends up perfect this way. I serve this over mashed potatoes, the same way my mom used to serve her stuffed peppers

Sorry for the delay, but it happens. :D

threedogpeople
07-16-2008, 11:02 PM
1 cup dry lentils
2.5 cups peeled butternut squash, cut in 1" pieces
1/2 cup chopped onion (more or less)
1/2 cup chopped celery " "
1/2 cup diced carrot " "
1 T minced garlic
1 teaspoon garam masala
4 cups veggie broth (or chicken)

Rinse & drain lentils. Add to crock pot with everything else, stir gently.

Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours or on high 4 - 5 hours.

Again, you can put this together the night before, store in the fridge & then put on to cook in the a.m.

If you can't find the garam masala you can substitute curry powder. It has a different taste but is still very good.

Kitrianna
07-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Hrmm. This threadis being fed (literally) by the Canadians. Interesting...

zenwriter
07-16-2008, 11:13 PM
I have been considering getting a crock pot, because I wanted to adapt this pulled pork recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/26257

It's very yummy when made in a crock pot.

threedogpeople
07-16-2008, 11:18 PM
That should be an easy one to adapt. I would use a carefully trimmed (esp. the fat) pork loin roast.

I would then do the rub & marinate over night (use a zip lock instead of the cooking bag). Then I would pat the roast dry with a paper towel and do a fresh layer of rub.

I would use a small rack in the bottom of the crock & cook on high until the roast fell apart.

Sounds fabulous!

Kitrianna
07-16-2008, 11:21 PM
There is a problem with crockpotting pulled pork (yes I have attempted it, didn't turn out so good). You do need some moisture (just a wee bit) in the beginning to keep things from burning and sticking until the juices start coming from the food. Traditional pulled pork doesn't have liquid added to it at any point during the cooking process that. If you do find a way around this, let me know. I love pulled pork, but I doubt I will ever remember to have a full propane tank around for the barbecue when I has the meat for pulled pork.

Eureka...I think I've got it! A barbecue would impart smokiness to the meat, which is a desired trait. If you put a small amount of liquid smoke on the bottim of the crockpot, that SHOULD kill two birds with one stone.

threedogpeople
07-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Carefully wash 1 roasting hen & three small - medium lemons.

Stab 2 of the lemons with a fork or knife & stuff into the chicken's cavity.

Put lemon #3 in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Cut in half and squeeze/rub the juice over the chicken. Sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning & dry parsley.

Cook in the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours until tender & done.

You can also add a few potatoes & some baby cut carrots to the crock & bake them at the same time to make a whole meal.

If you don't have a crock pot, you can make this same recipe by baking the chicken in the oven at 375 for 45 - 60 minutes (check to make sure that the chicken is done).

threedogpeople
07-16-2008, 11:31 PM
There is a problem with crockpotting pulled pork (yes I have attempted it, didn't turn out so good). You do need some moisture (just a wee bit) in the beginning to keep things from burning and sticking until the juices start coming from the food. Traditional pulled pork doesn't have liquid added to it at any point during the cooking process that. If you do find a way around this, let me know. I love pulled pork, but I doubt I will ever remember to have a full propane tank around for the barbecue when I has the meat for pulled pork.

Eureka...I think I've got it! A barbecue would impart smokiness to the meat, which is a desired trait. If you put a small amount of liquid smoke on the bottim of the crockpot, that SHOULD kill two birds with one stone.

I spray the inside of the crock pot with olive oil before I cook in it so it keeps things from sticking.

You could wrap the roast in foil, cook it in the crock in the foil THEN when it is done, finish it on the BBQ. If you soak wood chips for 1/2 hour and then put the meat on the grill in the foil (split the top open), you would get a fabulous natural smoke flavor.

I'm not a fan of liquid smoke, it tastes bitter to me even if I use a tiny, tiny bit. You can also get the smoky flavor from roasted sesame oil, you could coat the inside of the crock with it before you cook the pork and use a couple of tablespoons of the chicken broth to get the juices going.

zenwriter
07-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Cool tips for pulled pork in a crock pot. Thanks so much!