Interesting rejection letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very new to marketing. For the past few months I've been trying to publish a couple of short stories. I've made alot of stupid mistakes, sending them to the wrong type of magazines, etc. It's all been a learning experience. I write about the Greek Gods. Some of my stories are rewritten versions of the myths and others are original. I sent my Eros and Psyche story, Whispers in the Dark, to a romantic spec fiction magazine a few months ago. I wasn't even sure if the story was right for them. I just got the response and it would have to be one of the most postive rejection letters I've ever gotten:

Dear Marisa,

First, let me apologize for how long it has taken us to get back to you. There were several things that happened at once, and we simply got behind in our Quantum Kiss duties.

We enjoyed reading "Whispers in the Dark." It was sweet and cleverly done. We liked seeing the mythic Pantheon from a different perspective. Unfortunately, we must decline it for QuantumKiss.

In truth, it possessed most (if not all) of the elements that we look for in a Romance, including the hero and heroine kept apart, true love, and the 'happily ever after.' One thing that we would've liked to have seen more of, was the hero and heroine battling for their love, whether by changing their assessments of each other or themselves; or facing down the conflicts, and consequences, for each other. As it came across to us, Aries had the most direct impact on the lovers being together, as opposed to them finding their own way to their 'happily ever after.' In the genre of Romance the growing relationship, and the struggle therein, is fundamental.

Thanks very much for sending it to us. Here's wishing you good luck with it elsewhere. And keep writing!

I've never had a letter with so much feed back in it before. I was a little shocked. Isn't it weird how a rejection letter can sometimes be as exciting as an acceptance letter? lol. Part of me was a little surprised they read the whole thing. I've read how most agents and editors reject stories within the first five pages. I'm very happy with the response. It was very encouraging. I might go back and rewrite Whispers based on their comments.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
That is a good R--people who give detailed feedback like that are, well, gods of publishing. :) Sounds like the story's almost there--good luck with the rewrite!

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Nice job, Atlantis! And what a great rejection letter. I'm always impressed when the editors actually talk about the characters you've created. It feels so... validating! Congratulations on a job well done, and on almost getting there. Rewrite and resubmit. Good luck!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Your manuscript must be good. If we are to be rejected, this is exactly the kind on rejection letter we should hope to receive. It's not only the empathy, but the incredible detail the agent goes in to is almost beyond belief. I am sure you know to send her a brief thank you email or letter.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
That is a great Rejection letter. ALmost as good as an acceptance.

Definitely try to incorporate some comments and maybe even fire it back to them in a few months (not sure if this was a short story, novella, of novel.)

good luck

Mel...

Phot's Moll

Registered
Reaction score
Very helpful and encouraging feedback. I don't think they'd have gone to so much trouble unless they thought you showed promise.

If I was you, I'd ensure you'd incorporated the advice into the next story and send it in. I'd also include a covering letter thanking them for the praise of your last submission - to be polite and remind them they liked your stuff.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
Very helpful and encouraging feedback. I don't think they'd have gone to so much trouble unless they thought you showed promise.

If I was you, I'd ensure you'd incorporated the advice into the next story and send it in. I'd also include a covering letter thanking them for the praise of your last submission - to be polite and remind them they liked your stuff.

I sent them a thank you letter. I'm not sure if I'm going to rewrite Whispers. If I remove the Ares scene the whole thing will fall apart. I think I'll keep it how it is and use their advice for the next story I write. My parents are super excited that I got so close to getting accepted.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
wow, that is detailed! Did you find it helpful? motivating?

Yes! very much so! I'd had a depressing weekend worrying whether another story of mine was any good now I'm feeling much better about all of my short stories. I'm determined to send another one to QuantumKiss. If they liked Whispers I have two more God stories up my sleeve that they might like as well.

harriet47

journo turned novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
harrietschultz.blogspot.com
Not to be a contrarian, but...a rejection, no matter how nice, is still a rejection. My full mss. has had similar glowing, detailed turn downs from several top agents and although their words are balm for the ego and validate my ability, I find them hugely frustrating. If the story's so captivating and the writer's gifted and talented, the inevitable paragraph that starts "That said" or "But" makes me want to tear my hair out! Yet I keep querying and hoping. The full is with three agents as of today.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
Not to be a contrarian, but...a rejection, no matter how nice, is still a rejection. My full mss. has had similar glowing, detailed turn downs from several top agents and although their words are balm for the ego and validate my ability, I find them hugely frustrating. If the story's so captivating and the writer's gifted and talented, the inevitable paragraph that starts "That said" or "But" makes me want to tear my hair out! Yet I keep querying and hoping. The full is with three agents as of today.

I like to view all rejection letters I get in a positive light regardless if they are fourm letters or full of personal opinions and advice like the one I posted here. I find writing so difficult sometimes. It took me over 5 years to finish my last novel. I'm a very slow writer. When I finish a project...polish it...and send it off...I don't care if I get rejected...I consider it an achievement that I finished my project at all. I have three short stories circling the market now which is the most I've ever had. I don't care if they get rejected hundreds of times. Sooner or later one of my stories will cross the desk of the right editor. The trick is never to give up trying. I'm just happy I'm finally back in the marketing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.