Illustrated Novels ~ Two-Part Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Write4U2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
it-is-written4u.spaces.live.com
1. Suppose I wanted to use my illustrating talents to do illustrated numbers for the chapters? I see many books have B/W illustrations. If the illustrations are good, then would they enhance the book? I personally like this, but I'm an artist. Maybe I'm goofy and different, and simply have a propensity for illustrations. Would this be a drawback to getting it published?

2. Would I send the illustrated pages as the original submission if I am asked for a sample, or spring it on an agent who shows interest?

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's an acceptable thing to offer your own work for, but only after you've clinched a deal. Getting down to the nitty-gritty of format and such, once you've procured an agent, would seque nicely into such a suggestion.

Good luck!

Indy Tarquinson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
medevalmaiden.deviantart.com
This is a great question, since I was wondering the same thing!

I've already drawn pictures and posted it on deviant art, since I was considering doing my story in graphic novel format but decided I wanted to go the novel route instead.

Write4U2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think it's an acceptable thing to offer your own work for, but only after you've clinched a deal. Getting down to the nitty-gritty of format and such, once you've procured an agent, would seque nicely into such a suggestion.

Good luck!

Great!

That's exactly what I wanted to know, and it's a logical sequence.

Thanks.

Write4U2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
This is a great question, since I was wondering the same thing!

I've already drawn pictures and posted it on deviant art, since I was considering doing my story in graphic novel format but decided I wanted to go the novel route instead.

My understanding is that there is a difference between an illustrated novel and a graphic novel. Have you seen Jodi Picoult's novel, "The Tenth Circle?" It's full of graphic illustrations by Dustin Weaver.

http://www.jodipicoult.com/email/2005-11/

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, illustrations are a tough sell to a publisher from a untried author. Each extra page with "extraneous" information--you may not think it is, but it almost certainly is--is extra money for the publisher, and over a 5000 book print run, 20 illustrations ends up being 100,000 extra pages, which is like adding over 300 full books to the print run. Unless you've proven yourself, it's hard to convince a pragmatic editor to include your illustrations.

See, illustrations are rarely more than nice bonuses to the words. If you're determined to showcase your artistic skills alongside your literary ones, try graphic novels. Otherwise, save your illustrations for the special edition version of the book, after it sells 100,000 copies.

A brief answer by James A Ritchie: Here

Do not send an agent illustrations. It is seen as unprofessional.

Last edited:

Write4U2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Unfortunately, illustrations are a tough sell to a publisher from a untried author. Each extra page with "extraneous" information--you may not think it is, but it almost certainly is--is extra money for the publisher, and over a 5000 book print run, 20 illustrations ends up being 100,000 extra pages, which is like adding over 300 full books to the print run. Unless you've proven yourself, it's hard to convince a pragmatic editor to include your illustrations.

See, illustrations are rarely more than nice bonuses to the words. If you're determined to showcase your artistic skills alongside your literary ones, try graphic novels. Otherwise, save your illustrations for the special edition version of the book, after it sells 100,000 copies.

A brief answer by James A Ritchie: Here

Do not send an agent illustrations. It is seen as unprofessional.

Thanks, DJ. Good advice and very practical. The illustrations I would do are actually illustrated numbers for the chapters, small, B/W. But I do have ideas for a special edition version as well with full or half-page illustrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.