Mormons and divorce

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I know that members of the LDS consider that marriage goes into the afterlife, but do they divorce? What circumstances and how? I'm not interested in the practices of any of the nutjob cults hiding in bunkers in the desert, but the regular, mainstream church.

Thanks!

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I know that the Assembly of God church, for example, can divorce (with the church's OK) only when there is abuse, adultery or drug abuse. Catholics can't divorce at all, for whatever reason, but they can get annulments. Jews can often divorce for a lot of reasons, including a man's inability to have sex or just because the couple cannot reconcile.

So, I was wondering what the criteria the LDS had for allowing a divorce among members.

Of course, people can get divorced outside any church, but then they are not in good standing with the church. I am looking for an answer here about the regular, normal LDS Church and their religious attitude toward divorce.

OK. Have I explained this fully? Should I ask on the Christian message board? I'd really like to know the answer to my question, if anyone here knows.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I got divorced for some of the same reasons as any other member of any other church might have done. My civil divorce took place in the court systems. However, my marriage to my ex in the temple still stands in force today. There are no restrictions as to why or if a person may get divorced civilly and they recognize it as such.

Getting a temple divorce requires paperwork that I just don't bother with. Oh and as far as I know I'm still in good standing. I just don't choose to go anymore. I hope that helps.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
But I did answer it. Mormons get divorced for the same reasons as anyone else. No approval is required from the church leaders in order for a married couple to divorce. There's no "allow".

That's civil divorce. If you're talking a temple divorce where the sealing is annulled, that's something a bit different.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
This article talks about issues around the religious dissolution of temple marriages among LDS couples. This posting from a message board talks about it from a different perspective.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Although the temple process seems as convoluted as any govt agency, I think I get the idea.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Although the temple process seems as convoluted as any govt agency, I think I get the idea.
I disagree. It's simple and straight forward. I just never wanted to go through the ordeal of talking about all the reasons I wanted my temple marriage canceled. It's just not worth it. Maybe one day I will feel differently but to use a term like convoluted implies a bias that makes me twitch a little.

Just saying.