PDA

View Full Version : How do you find the formula for publishing house?

psm0904
04-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi. I'm new to this genre, and have a question. I know there are guidelines to writing particular types of romance novels. How do you get a list of the requirements? My book had some graphic scenes, but nothing more extreme than a regular Avon historical. It's a regular contemp. romance with quite a bit of conflict and action.

veinglory
04-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Harlequin gives specific guidelines in a downloadable document, other than that it's just a matter of looking in the submission guidelines. What is your wordcount?

Susan Gable
04-20-2005, 01:52 AM
Please don't call it a "formula." The only "formula" for a romance is boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl. (Or vice versa.)

You are looking for "guidelines." :) Those can be found all over the internet at the various publishers' websites.

If you're looking for information about Harlequin/Silhouette's various lines, you can find them at www.eHarlequin.com (http://www.eHarlequin.com). Click on "Learn to Write," then on the left side, you should see a place to click for guidelines. However, the best way to learn about the different H/S lines is to read them. Look for the lines that interest you most. :)

Good luck!

Susan G.