PDA

View Full Version : Sniglets

Oberon
07-14-2008, 11:37 PM
I tried posting this yesterday but it disappeared. No great loss, but nevertheless:

There was a comedy show a long way back (early SNL?) that had a segment called Sniglets. Viewers were asked to send in invented words with definitions. Mine didn't make the cut, but I liked them:

Shoddynook: An area that doesn't show and is left rough, unfinished, as the back of a bookcase, the bottom of a chair, etc.

Blandification: Self-explanatory, noted in script conferences, committee work, bills in Senate, etc.

Others?

Jersey Chick
07-14-2008, 11:47 PM
I used to love Sniglets (created by Rich Hall, from SNL)

Here are a few of the ones I remember -

Lactomangulation - the act of mangling a paper milk carton while trying to open it, forcing you to open it on the "illegal" side

Bovilexia - the inability to resist leaning out the window and yelling "Moo" when driving past a herd of cows

benbradley
07-15-2008, 12:45 AM
According to Wikipedia, Sniglets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniglet) were first introduced by Rich Hall on the HBO series "Not Neccesarily The News." I never saw that series (and only occasionally watched SNL since the '70's), so I never saw it (though no doubt there's Youtube).

But the idea of sniglets is an amazing meme. I recall some contest from NPR's "All Things Considered" where they did something very similar (I don't think they called them "sniglets" but the idea was very close), take a common word and change one letter of it to make a new word with a "logical", humorous meaning.

This isn't that exact game, but but close enough, and strongly related to sniglets:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5256942

JoeEkaitis
07-18-2008, 12:31 AM
My own, but never featured on Not Necessarily the News:

swudge: the thick, sweet slurry that accumulates at the bottom of a cup of hot cocoa.

The gap between a person using an automated banking machine and the next customer in line is: inter-teller space.

Jersey Chick
07-18-2008, 01:04 AM
What about yinkel - the three strands of hair left on a balding man's head that he's grown long enough to wrap around his head several times, trying to give off the appearance of having hair.