just for fun: worst books....

Status
Not open for further replies.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
what's the worst SF/F book you ever read and why?

the spectre of vonda mcintyre was brought up in another thread. while being an award winner (hugo award?) and having a fan-base which would no doubt lambast me to no end, none of that detracts from her having written the worst sci-fi book i ever read, 'the crystal star,' which was an 'expanded universe' star wars novel.

where do i start with how bad it was? the thing that sticks out most is the abyssmal characterization, having han solo's internal thoughts revolve around fifty syllable words, made worse because i'd never heard the words before myself. i don't think a single character rang true with what i already know about them.

the book was just boring. it had maybe two decent side-ideas as background filler. i'm sure we can all point to a book and ask, 'what was the point of those secondary characters other than to waste space to pad an otherwise bad novella-length story?'

afair, what information she gave turned out to have utterly predictable conclusions. the ending, however, just came out of left field, introducing the true villian in the last chapter. having no indication that what happened was coming, it just pisssed me off. (i think there may have been a mention of the villian being behind some giant doors for the purposes of some cult religious practice, but the way it was done totally didn't make me even the slightest bit interested in finding out what it was or what was going on. it turned out to be some blob-thing (wow, how exciting) and some very heavy-handed and yawny religious gobbledegook which came off as more crap to add to the pile to hide the true horrendousness taking place.)

had it not said 'star wars' on the cover, no one would have bought it, me included, though fortunately i spent a whopping fifty cents on it in a garage sale (and i should have gotten my money back). this was at a time, though, when you could have put a label saying 'mynock spit' on a jar of vaseline and moved a million units, so we all got suckered. in fact, i think this stinker of a novel is infamous for being so terrible. stay away at all costs! :)

ever been driving a stick shift and accidentally went to go into fourth gear and put it in first and hear a terrible noise, then when you look in the rear-view mirror you see all the traffic behind you swerving out of the way to avoid the metal things you've just dislodged from underneath your car? now imagine you could bottle that feeling and drink a case of it with a beer bong, and you barely know what it's like to read this book. (another appropriate example would be waking up after a bender to discover you've pisssed in your laundry hamper at some point during the night, puked in your wife's new gucci purse plus she's highly irate with you because you said something about her niece and how good she looks in tight jeans.)

Anaparenna

Just Another Exquisite Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.conjurewords.com
I don't remember the title (obviously it didn't stick with me), although the book itself wasn't terrible. However, every time anyone ate anything, it was a spiced meat pie. The author somehow got stuck on that as the food of choice. The characters made them, bought them in the market, had them served in inns, and one even turned up at a banquet...by the end I was very tired of spiced meat pie, and I've never even eaten one.

Crunchy Frog

Registered
Reaction score
The Fifth Sorceress by Robert Newcomb was by far the worst book I ever read. Horrible writing. Possibly worse than Atlanta Night.

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
zizban said:
Dragon Riders of Pern. Seriously flawed book. Could have been so much better, but alas she ruined what was a great idea.

it's not SF/F...i'm blanking out on the title I wanted to put...I think it was "The Sun Prince" or something like that... so I'll put this one...

"A Breathtaking Work of Staggering Genius"

great title, hated the book...was good to start, then went downhill...i actually didn't finish it! then again, lol, I love Anne McCaffery, so it could be that my taste in books is wonky! :)

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
i started 'breathtaking' and put it down around forty pages into it. not that it was bad, just i lost interest in it and kinda never picked it back up. not SF of F, but it's nice to have at least started a book someone else has read.

Zane Curtis

Dried Frog Pill Dispenser
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow.

There's this one book I read -- a fantasy trilogy thing -- that was so bad it put me off generic fantasy for the longest time. I didn't read any fantasy for several years, until the likes of China Mieville and Jeff Vandermeer came along. This book was so horrible that I threw it away, which is a rare occurrence for an old hoarder like me. So I can't tell you whether my initial opinion of it stands up. I bought it cheap out of the bargain bin, and I still felt ripped off.

Until recently, I had forgotten all about this turkey until I ran across the author's website. Now I could tell you who it was, and what the book was. But if I did, someone would probably get all offended and tell me it's their favourite book. Or maybe the author himself reads this forum. Stuff like that seems to happen to me.

:Ssh:

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
This is an impossible question. The worst books I’ve not read at all. A lot of bad books I put down after a chapter or two, cursing myself for having spent the money, while the simply average I’ve completely forgotten. Even with good books, the titles escape me.

Okay, so I’ll vote for Venus on the Half Shell. That has to be the worst--the only book to be panned before it was written.

(Edit: I was kidding about Venus.)

Last edited:

bluejester12

I write and I wrong
Registered
Reaction score
I cant think of the worst, but Sword of Shannara is such a blatant LotR ripoff...worst than anything Ive ever read for originality.

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
bluejester12 said:
I cant think of the worst, but Sword of Shannara is such a blatant LotR ripoff...worst than anything Ive ever read for originality.

Yes, but it was a good ripoff. Came out in the mid 80's, before the fantasy genre really exploded. I read it when I was 15 and I liked it a lot. If I were to pick it up now, without reading it before, I would say the same thing as you.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Crunchy Frog said:
The Fifth Sorceress by Robert Newcomb was by far the worst book I ever read. Horrible writing. Possibly worse than Atlanta Night.
But not intentionally. Which is sad.

I got about halfway through this book--picked it up from the library because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It was indeed bad.

The worst book I've read recently, though, is The Da Vinci Code, which is not just badly written but ludicrously researched. Many of its key premises are wrong, and those that aren't wrong are stupid.

- Victoria

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Sometimes, it's safer to self-declare yourself to be a hack. Then anything you write that's not bad is to your real credit.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
The worst I've read is Mike Moscoe's The First Casualty, and it was assigned to me to review. I hated writing that review, and I hope he didn't see it (although chances are he did, as it was in a prominent online publication devoted to SF). He was nominated for one of the major SF awards for either a novelette or novella last year, so that book probably isn't a good indication of his skill. I haven't read his nominated story - I'll have to look it up one of these days.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
The worst book I've read recently, though, is The Da Vinci Code, which is not just badly written but ludicrously researched. Many of its key premises are wrong, and those that aren't wrong are stupid.

- Victoria

Yes, I read a few chapters and gave it away. After a decent start, it bored me to tears. Obviously, having some religious controversy is fantastic for sales.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Da Vinci Code is indeed crapola.

The worst book I had to endure recently was Cecilia Dart-Thorntonś The Iron Tree. Rarely have I encountered an author with so many books under their belt, and yet be so utterly incompetent at writing dialogue. Itś not the worst fantasy I've ever had to read (for review, in this case, so there was no bottling out after the first chapter), but hellś bells, was it tempting to review it from the cover blurb and use the rest of the pages as compost.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Any of the "Left Behind" series.

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
I really hated "Rider by the Gate" by C.J. Cherryh. I've enjoyed other Cherryh books, and I loved the premise behind this, and the writing itself was decent, but I didn't care about *any* of the characters. Not a single one, and for me, caring about at least one character's fate is crucial to my enjoying the book.

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
CJ Cherryth is a very variable writer: she has at least four distinct literary styles, one of which I adore, one of which I can take or leave and two of which I can't be bothered with. I re-read the whole Chanur sequence, and Rimrunners, at least once every couple of years - but I gave up on Forty Thousand in Gehenna, and on The Tree of Swords and Jewels, after a couple of chapters. I personally quite liked the Rider books, but they certainly aren't her best work.

I would nominate The Amber Spyglass, the last of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I adored Northern Lights, quite liked The Subtle Knife - but I just got so bored with The Amber Spyglass that I gave up about a third of the way through. And I kept hoping that he would notice how horrible he had made his society of witches, but he never seemed to: evidently he really does think that murdering someone because they refuse to have sex with you, or desecrating a tribal religion and demanding that the people fall down and worship you, are OK behaviours provided you are a scantily-clad young woman.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Bad book

preyer said:
what's the worst SF/F book you ever read and why?

the spectre of vonda mcintyre was brought up in another thread. while being an award winner (hugo award?) and having a fan-base which would no doubt lambast me to no end, none of that detracts from her having written the worst sci-fi book i ever read, 'the crystal star,' which was an 'expanded universe' star wars novel.

where do i start with how bad it was? the thing that sticks out most is the abyssmal characterization, having han solo's internal thoughts revolve around fifty syllable words, made worse because i'd never heard the words before myself. i don't think a single character rang true with what i already know about them.

the book was just boring. it had maybe two decent side-ideas as background filler. i'm sure we can all point to a book and ask, 'what was the point of those secondary characters other than to waste space to pad an otherwise bad novella-length story?'

afair, what information she gave turned out to have utterly predictable conclusions. the ending, however, just came out of left field, introducing the true villian in the last chapter. having no indication that what happened was coming, it just pisssed me off. (i think there may have been a mention of the villian being behind some giant doors for the purposes of some cult religious practice, but the way it was done totally didn't make me even the slightest bit interested in finding out what it was or what was going on. it turned out to be some blob-thing (wow, how exciting) and some very heavy-handed and yawny religious gobbledegook which came off as more crap to add to the pile to hide the true horrendousness taking place.)

had it not said 'star wars' on the cover, no one would have bought it, me included, though fortunately i spent a whopping fifty cents on it in a garage sale (and i should have gotten my money back). this was at a time, though, when you could have put a label saying 'mynock spit' on a jar of vaseline and moved a million units, so we all got suckered. in fact, i think this stinker of a novel is infamous for being so terrible. stay away at all costs! :)

ever been driving a stick shift and accidentally went to go into fourth gear and put it in first and hear a terrible noise, then when you look in the rear-view mirror you see all the traffic behind you swerving out of the way to avoid the metal things you've just dislodged from underneath your car? now imagine you could bottle that feeling and drink a case of it with a beer bong, and you barely know what it's like to read this book. (another appropriate example would be waking up after a bender to discover you've pisssed in your laundry hamper at some point during the night, puked in your wife's new gucci purse plus she's highly irate with you because you said something about her niece and how good she looks in tight jeans.)

To be honest, I don't think there are many bad published books out there. Most of them are books we like, or books we don't, but few of them are bad in any sense that really matters.

I'd rather talk about books I love than spend time putting down writers who have most often pleased millions of readers.

Some of the books listed here will be around, and will still be read for pleasure, long after we're all dead, buried, and forgotten.

Life's too short, and payback's a bitch. Better to concentrate on the books you love.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I don't like bringing the old master down, but one of his books just floored me. It's 332 pages of straight dialogue, with very little to no narrative or atmoshpere. The card games go on forever, the women speak like men, the old mentor (as always) speaks like a gangster, has intercourse with his daughter--liberal drug and liquor usage is promoted, and it's just the biggest piece of hack-crap that I've ever read. All of his characters speak with the same tone and dialect, even if they're sperated by 60 years in age.

Farnham's Freehold, by Bob Heinlein.

I think this book was a showcase for Bob's love of Bridge, and it was hastily written to fill his portfolio or quota. It's a far cry from Stranger in a Strange Land, to be sure. What in the hell was on his mind to vomit this thing up?

Tri

VMcNeill

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vtwopointo.wordpress.com
Pthom said:
Any of the "Left Behind" series.

Have to agree with this one. Although I'm not sure if I would call the books novels, the letters are huge and double spaced to make the book thicker. With a smaller font and normal number of lines, the book would probably be 50 pages if that much.

I need to read the fifth sorceress. I've read a lot of really bad things about this book.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I am not alone! Other people in the planet were bored to tears by DaVinci Code too!

Hallelujah!

I borrowed it from the library to see what all the fuss was about...yawn. Wimpy hero, ludicrous ending. But give the man his due: he mixed in just enough fact with his fiction and tossed in just about the most controversial theory about Jesus around and wham! Free publicity from right-wing Christians everywhere.

Now I'll confirm my heretical rep: My vote for worst book is Stranger in a Strange Land.

Sorry, but Heinlein alternately bores and annoys me.

BUT! His short story "Requiem" always brings a lump to my throat.

-the Lily

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
Most of Heinlein I find irritating in the extreme and very Mary-Sue-ish: but The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag is one of the creepiest things I've ever read. Indeed I used to know a guy who was so thoroughly creeped out by it that he deliberately erased the very existence of the story from his memory, and if anyone reminded him of it he would actually scream.

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
bluejester12 said:

It was supposed to be. Sheesh. Well, not exactly, but if I get into a lengthy discussion of it I'll bore you all to tears.

As far as just plain poor writing goes, I can't think of a single one. I did see a book at the used bookstore the other day with a back blurb to die for -- it referred to a war between the "Elvish and Mannish Races" over the "Elvish Jewels". I SO wish I'd picked that up.

I am a Heinlein fangirl, I admit it. Some of his works have an alternate use, too -- you can make people's eyes cross if you try to explain certain of them. Try "By His Bootstraps" sometime, or "I Will Fear No Evil".

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
whitehound said:
Most of Heinlein I find irritating in the extreme and very Mary-Sue-ish: but The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag is one of the creepiest things I've ever read. Indeed I used to know a guy who was so thoroughly creeped out by it that he deliberately erased the very existence of the story from his memory, and if anyone reminded him of it he would actually scream.

Argh! this reminded me of a story I've worked several years (20, maybe) to forget: Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream". I read that and have never, ever opened one word written by him ever again. I'm sure it's a brilliant story because it affected me so profoundly -- in a negative way. Much like Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction (gag, retch, shudder) and the first 15 minutes of Kill Bill part 1. After those 15 minutes I left the room and did laundry etc. till the DH was done watching it. The man will not be receiving a dime of my money again.

Status
Not open for further replies.