PDA

View Full Version : Migraines or headaches during pregnancy

willwrite4food
07-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi all,

I'm finishing up an article about head-to-toe pain during pregnancy. I've got plenty of anecdotes about back/sciatic nerve pain, but I'm looking for women who may have had painful headaches or migraines during pregnancy that they don't normally experience. You can PM me or e-mail me at Renee@FinishedPages.com if you have any information you'd like to share.

Thank you!

Dawno
07-14-2008, 07:22 PM
I know this is off topic, but something you might want to consider as a sidebar is, I believe, like me, many female migraine sufferers actually stop getting migraines during pregnancy. I had frequent debilitating migraines which seemed to be triggered by monthly hormone changes and they disappeared when I was pregnant and after my second child they became significantly less frequent - down from monthly to maybe two or three a year.

Cranky
07-14-2008, 07:34 PM
I know this is off topic, but something you might want to consider as a sidebar is, I believe, like me, many female migraine sufferers actually stop getting migraines during pregnancy. I had frequent debilitating migraines which seemed to be triggered by monthly hormone changes and they disappeared when I was pregnant and after my second child they became significantly less frequent - down from monthly to maybe two or three a year.

Ditto on that experience. It was nice. Bizarre, but nice, to have those suckers disappear when preggo. Nice fringe benefit I didn't expect. :D

Now, I only have migraines about four times a year.

heyjude
07-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Pfft. Mine got so much worse after having my 2nd. But I'm guessing that has more to do with the actual kid... Oh well.

Giant Baby
07-15-2008, 06:33 AM
I can look into this for you, I run a headache clinic.

We're pediatrics, so your particular question hasn't come up, but I'll ask tomorrow.

One interesting thing I've come across in health care, with pregnancy discomfort/unexpected pain is head-to-toe rash/hives. It happens. It's brutal and often dangerous. If you're looking to put your preggo charecter through some rough times, the rashes and hives are pretty bad, and treating them can be a bitch out of concern for the baby.

I'll look into the headache question. PM me if you have any specific questions about headaches.

Carmy
07-15-2008, 06:37 AM
My migraines stopped while I was pregnant.

BlackViolet13
07-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Mine started when I became pregnant. They were awful and I couldn't do anything but take Tylenol and pray for them to be over quickly--sometimes they lasted 24-48 hours, with nausea, vomiting, and overall horridness. I thought they would go away after having two babies, but they lingered, and it's been a battle against them for the last nine years. I've found some great treatments to keep them away, but I know the moment Aunt Flo is coming ;) or when I need to tone down the stress levels. Please feel free to PM me if you need more detail or whatnot, if I can help anybody learn more about them I'm all for it :)

jannawrites
07-16-2008, 06:39 AM
I was like Dawno and Cranky, with less-frequent, less-debilitating migraines during pregnancy. I wasn't on any maintenance medication, though I could have been. Enderol, generic: propanalol, which I'd been on prior to pregnancy was "okay," but I didn't want to risk it. My hormones seemed to level out the headaches when preggars, and my hormones NOW play a huge role in my migraines, with no bun in the oven.

So I think this was rambling much more than a helpful post. :) Sorry 'bout that. And good luck!