Not open for further replies.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Anybody going to RWA's National Conference in San Francisco in a few weeks besides me?

If so, just a few things I wanted to share with you.

#1 - After the Lit Signing on Wed. night, the Superromance authors are hosting a little get-together. There will be games, prizes, and most likely, chocolate. <G> Ask any Super author at the lit signing where it's going to be, although I'll get the information from the author who's coordinating this and post it here. (It's going to be in a "real" hotel meeting room, not someone's bedroom. <G>)

#2 - I'm giving a workshop called Story Superglue: Make It Stick with Readers on Saturday afternoon, starting at 2:00. There will prizes and chocolate there, too. :) Please fill a seat. <G>

#3 - I've compliled a list of 150 restaurants within three-tenths of a mile from the conference hotel. Anyone who wants a copy of it (it's a Word Document, and even has clickable links to the websites of some of the places) just PM me with your email addy, or just email me, and I'll send you a copy, which you may share with your friends who are also attending conference. I'm not able to put anything in the "Goody Room" at conference this year since my book won't be out until February (though i AM considering making some copies of this list available there. <G>), so this is my way of giving something that's hopefully useful to the conference attendees.

I will keep my ears to the ground and bring back information for those of you who aren't going!

Susan G.

BlackViolet13

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you're going to have a great time, Susan! And I have to admire your organization ;)

I'm not ready to go this year, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 2009.

Travel safe, and best of everything to you while you're there!

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going! I have no idea if I get to wear a first sale badge or not. Probably not since my book was announced just before RWA last year.

Should be a fun time, though. :)

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Sounds like you're going to have a great time, Susan! And I have to admire your organization ;)

I'm not ready to go this year, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 2009.

Travel safe, and best of everything to you while you're there!

Thanks! Next year is in Washington, DC, which comes full circle for me. My first National was in Washington. And I can drive to it, which is always a nice change of pace, even given the horrible price of gas these days.

I hope to see you there next years!

Susan G.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I'm going! I have no idea if I get to wear a first sale badge or not. Probably not since my book was announced just before RWA last year.

Should be a fun time, though. :)

If you haven't had a First Sale badge yet, then yes, you qualify. Be sure to let RWA know!

See you there, I hope! (the crowds are so crazy, arent they?)

Susan G.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
This is going to sound utterly lame, but I'm clueless as to who I notify about my sale. Who would I let know at RWA?

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
The "first sale" column & contact should still be listed in your RWR. Shoot her an e-mail & tell her about your sale. Don't bother if it's a small press. I tried and got the "no-thanks" e-mail back.

Congrats, by the way!

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
This is going to sound utterly lame, but I'm clueless as to who I notify about my sale. Who would I let know at RWA?

Just tell them at the conference booth. They'll know what needs to be done. I think.

Or call the office and ask them. :) That's what we pay them for. <G>

Susan

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Hi Susan --

I'll be going. I'm so excited ...

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
No signings on this end. I am going as a mere spectator. :)

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Yep. I'll be signing. I've already looked up the people I'll be sitting near.

So cool.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
No signings on this end. I am going as a mere spectator. :)

Which is loads of fun, too, because you are FREE! <G> You can get up and move about the cabin. I mean, room. <G>

I often print out the list of signers and make a list of people I have to stop and say hi to. :) It's a really good opportunity to touch base with people, because after that, it's hit or miss at the conference, since it's so HUGE.

Susan G.

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Speaking broadly it's --

Jo Beverley
Gina Black
Jenna Black
Shayla Black
Sandy Blair
Toni Blake
Mary Blayney
Stephanie Bond
Marie Bostwick
Joanna Bourne
Elizabeth Boyle
Eden Bradley
Cynthia Breeding
Helen Brenna
Allison Brennan
Emily Brian
Kate Bridges
Terri Brisbin
Suzanne Brockmann
Connie Brockway

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Oh, yes, you have some great neighbors there.

I adore Jo Beverly. She's a pip.

And you have some other great folks in your area. :) I'll be sure to stop and say hello as I pass through the insanity! <G>

Susan G.

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
I, of course, also adore and worship at the feet of Jo Beverley. I am sufficiently distant from her I will be squeeing on a subsonic level from some distance, like an enthusiastic misquito. She will not even notice.

I am RIGHT NEXT TO Elizabeth Boyle, however.

(I will not fangirl squee. I will not fangirl squee. I will not ...)

I will be delighted to see you if you do swing by the 'B's.

Will you ...
man, but this is forecasting far ahead ...
will you be signing next year in DC on the Feb release, do you think?

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Iman, but this is forecasting far ahead ...
will you be signing next year in DC on the Feb release, do you think?

Nope. There's no way HQ will be providing copies of a Feb. book come July. We HQ authors had that discussion recently. They will only provide very recent books for the lit signing these days. Heck, back when I sold my first book, it was a Dec. book, and there wre copies of it for the Lit signing at National. But print runs are way down these days. Plus that book was up for a Rita, so <shrug>

But I think it's safe to say that next year I will be wandering, too. Unless I pony up and buy some copies in January and put them away until the lit signing.

Elizabeth Boyle? That doesn't ring a bell for me. (But I am HORRIBLE with names. <sigh>) I wonder if I've read any of her stuff?

Susan G.

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Nope. There's no way HQ will be providing copies of a Feb. book come July. We HQ authors had that discussion recently. They will only provide very recent books for the lit signing these days.
Susan G.

Well heck and phooey.

I see their point, I suppose -- that the signing should be for books still on the shelf. But still ...

What if you go into e-book for the February issue? We're getting closer and closer to that, aren't we?

Elizabeth Boyle -- historicals in the Regency period. She's been writing for at least a decade, most recently out of Avon. His Mistress by Morning, Once Tempted, This Rake of Mine. Very good. Very solid.
She's giving a presentation on 'Tips for Writing to the Historical Market' on Friday at 11:00 with Gurke.

Mary Blayney I know just the tiniest tad from correspondance. She wrote me the most encouraging possible e-mail after Spymaster's Lady. The funny thing is, I was just that moment reading something of hers. She was in a supernaturally-themed four-plex with a JD Robb.

I put Connie Brockway as the gatepost on the other side, you notice ...
trying to lure folks in the 'B' direction so I'll have somebody to chat with.
Shameless of me.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Well heck and phooey.

I see their point, I suppose -- that the signing should be for books still on the shelf. But still ...

At Harlequin, "books still on the shelves" leaves a VERY narrow window. <G> In a lot of stores, my book is only on the shelf for two weeks.

A gallon of skim milk has a longer shelf life. LOLOL!

What if you go into e-book for the February issue? We're getting closer and closer to that, aren't we?

Yes, it will be out in eBook. HQ is now doing all their books as ebooks as well as paper copies.

Not sure how one signs an eBook, though. :)

I know Stephanie Bond. I like her a lot. She came to the NEORWA conference this spring. I've heard her speak at a number of Nationals in the past, too. She's got a great self-editing workshop.

Susan G.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Have fun, you guys! ThrillerFest took pretty much my entire budget and all of my vacation time from work. :( I'm hoping to go next year, though! We'll just have to see if I can work it out with the schedule.

Send back lots of pictures! :D

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Have fun, you guys! ThrillerFest took pretty much my entire budget and all of my vacation time from work. :( I'm hoping to go next year, though! We'll just have to see if I can work it out with the schedule.

Send back lots of pictures! :D

I'm so sorry you won't be able to make it ... heck.

Maybe next year in Washington.

JoB

Status
Not open for further replies.