PDA

View Full Version : My Name Is.....

brokenfingers
04-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Hmmm, as I sit here and look at my fellow members, I’m struck by some of the member names and how they came about or why they’re used.

Now, I don’t know if this has been done before but since this is a new board and we’ve recently had an influx of new members I figured it wouldn’t hurt if we all ‘fess up as to how we got our user names.

Now some of us have member names that are obvious like - James D. McDonald - that need no explaining.

And some have names that we know the basis behind - like Jenna Glatzer, which is actually the anagrammed nom de plume of that famous Belgian madman - Jean G. LaRantz.

And then there’re those like William Haskins – who we all know is actually Lucifer just killing time and slumming it until the Final Showdown.

So – what’s the story behind your member name?

JAlpha
04-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Oh no you don't . . . you go first Mister Brokenfingers:poke:

JAlpha

brokenfingers
04-18-2005, 07:19 AM
Oh no you don't . . . you go first Mister Brokenfingers:poke:
LOL!
Actually there is one explanation here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=126539&postcount=16

But I guess it really has a few meanings.

It’s a reminder to myself that I can’t write, I’m not ready yet and I still have a lot to learn so all my stuff looks like it was written with broken fingers.

It’s also a reminder to myself that there is only one (1) valid excuse for me not writing at the end of the day.

Broken Fingers.

JAlpha
04-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Well then Brokenfingers, I will tell you the origin of my screen name. Actually, I'm part of a secret AW sorority---Alpha, Alpha, Alpha. There's Alphabet, Alphabeter, and me JAlpha. We even have a secret pledge . . . Alpha one and one for all! (Alphabet came up with that)

Oh no. I've spoiled the secret. :Smack:

I guess I'll have to come up with some lame reason for my screen name now.

J - is for the first initial of my name & Alpha is part of the name of the town I live in. It's lame I tell ya, LAME!

JAlpha

CACTUSWENDY
04-18-2005, 07:42 AM
:o That is sooooo lame.....:scared: Mine is very easy...(as I can not handle things that are not easy) Since I live in the Southwest ...cactus...plus my first name....Wendy.(at least it's not lame....pppsssbbbbtttt....):Smack:

Poppy
04-18-2005, 08:00 AM
poppyhullings = Poppy Hullings (whoever she is, I don't really know)

brokenfingers
04-18-2005, 08:02 AM
Well then Brokenfingers, I will tell you the origin of my screen name. Actually, I'm part of a secret AW sorority---Alpha, Alpha, Alpha. There's Alphabet, Alphabeter, and me JAlpha. We even have a secret pledge . . .

Now, I'm scared....

JAlpha
04-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Yes, Fear us. Here's a pic of us reciting our secret plege.

"Alpha one and one for all"
I'm the one in the back row on the left--blushing. :Cheer:
JAlpha

Rose
04-18-2005, 08:26 AM
My screen name is...um, unimaginative.

tjwriter
04-18-2005, 08:31 AM
I started out with my first and middle initials and my last name. However, my last name is pretty rare, so I switched to this, which I use for my blog, because I am job hunting soon and I don't want people to learn too much about me.

Fractured_Chaos
04-18-2005, 08:35 AM
Mine's pretty obvious. I like dragons, and I collect them.

I also like swords, and collect those, too *EG*

brokenfingers
04-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Why no vowels??

Did you have to buy them like on "The Wheel of Fortune"????

Fractured_Chaos
04-18-2005, 08:44 AM
Why no vowels??

Did you have to buy them like on "The Wheel of Fortune"????

Yeah, and I didn't have enough at the time. :wag:

Actually when I originally chose this name, it was when I joined an IRC chatroom. Thing was, someone else on the server (but in another chatroom), had the name dragonlover, so I had to modify. I just got used to it, and never changed it.

JoeEkaitis
04-18-2005, 08:53 AM
"JoeEkaitis" is based on my pen name "Joe Ekaitis."

My real name is Thaddeus Horatio Eberhard Fox or T.H.E. Fox for the sake of brevity. When I take off the glasses, the flesh-colored mask and the salt-and-pepper gray wig, I look like this:

Ella
04-18-2005, 09:01 AM
I am regretting my screen name, because it's just frickin boring. It was my great-grandmother's name, and it's very pretty, but boring. I usually use my own name, and may get my user name changed just to cause some confusion.

wurdwise
04-18-2005, 09:15 AM
I had a heck of a time finally getting a name that had something to do with words. I don't consider myself wise, I was shooting for wurdup, but it was taken, (I am talking about when I went to choose an email address) so I had to keep on, even wordwise was taken, thus the spelling. I've gotten so used to it, I just decided to use it as my name here too. Mystery solved, unless you've read the "Trivia for Dummies" thread, and then you already know I ain't wise!:wag:

reph
04-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Alpha is part of the name of the town I live in.
You live in Philadalpha? The City of Brupherly Luph?

sgtsdaughter
04-18-2005, 09:22 AM
mine . . . left over threads of my youth. the daughter of two sgts, who later retired. my dad continued to teach hs rotc after his army days, and in small towns down south everyone knows the newbies. hence, i was always "the sarge's daughter."

so when i signed onto email, round about a decade ago, i ended up using sgtsdaughter. that came from my dad being unable to spell any other email handle correctly--even my name. now that is odd because he is the one who named me, but i guess it takes all types.

so, i just kept on using it over the years--it's habit and strangely comforting now.
A.

mudflat_marsh_hawk
04-18-2005, 09:33 AM
One morning while performing BIC excercises, I looked out the window and saw a giant bird on the front lawn under a magnolia tree. It looked something like a cross between a giant robin and a raccoon. After a trip to the library, I found out it was probably a marsh hawk. They're fairly common, but, it's the first one I'd ever seen. I was entranced. The river running through the city where I live is always spilling it's banks and very muddy; hence, mudflat.

;)

--mudflat_marsh_hawk

Crunchy Frog
04-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Crunchy Frog is from a Monty Python sketch. I just liked the sound of it. :)

veinglory
04-18-2005, 02:28 PM
vainglory, because that's what my writing is!

veinglory, because my first book was about a vampire--and the neologism will be a more distinctive and easy to use 'nym. (google it and I float to the top like any good... well).

underthecity
04-18-2005, 04:06 PM
And my screen name is a nod to my first published book. And so is my sig line.

underthecity

William Haskins
04-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Crunchy Frog is from a Monty Python sketch. I just liked the sound of it.

was "ram's bladder cup" already taken?

Maryn
04-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Although I like my real name, it's too unique to use online. (After someone angry over a chat ban threatened my life, I was glad to have been so cautious.)

"Maryn" was stolen from a little girl in my daughter's kindergarten class for use in a series of erotica stories I wrote in the 80s. I thought it was a nice name, easy enough to pronounce but unique.

Some of those stories have been published now, and I've use that first name as part of my pen name a couple of times, too. The original, real Maryn must be 20 now and will eventually stumble on her sexy namesake, if she hasn't already. I hope she merely thinks it's some amazing coincidence.

Maryn

Maryn
04-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Mine are my initials.Which I always read as "Kentucky Tied Chicken."

Maryn

Richard White
04-18-2005, 04:35 PM
. . . Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

(Sorry, someone had to do it.)

My screen name here is my name, however on other boards, I use KageSama (Lord of Shadows) from an old RPG we used to run in the Comics/Anime Forum on Compuserve.

thistle
04-18-2005, 05:28 PM
LOL, Richard! I was thinking along these lines:

Hello. My name is Diane T. and I'm a writer.

Hello, Diane.

Mine is not as complicated as some: I like thistles. They have a bad rep because people call them weeds, but they're pretty, tough, and can live anywhere. Roses have thorns, too, but they have better PR than the thistle. So unfair.:Soapbox:

bjewel77
04-18-2005, 05:58 PM
My screen name is my first initial and middle name + year I graduated high school (now you know about how old I am). My name is Beverley but everyone calls me Bev. Jewel is my middle name, so bjewel77 sounded ok to me. I live in the sticks in Northwest Arkansas, I'm "bjewel", so does that make me a diamond in the rough? :cool:

Bev

Sarita
04-18-2005, 06:04 PM
I like thistles. They have a bad rep because people call them weeds, but they're pretty, tough, and can live anywhere. Roses have thorns, too, but they have better PR than the thistle. So unfair.
I like milk thistle. It's my most painted subject!

Oh, my name:

Sarita : Spanish nick name for Sara. Lots of friends still call me that. I think I have more nicknames than anyone else in the world, actually. (Sarafina, Fina, Sprout, The Fonz, Mallard, Eowyn, wow, there are too many to name).

8: Because I like the number. It's very ... uh, nice?

Richard White
04-18-2005, 06:04 PM
My screen name is my first initial and middle name + year I graduated high school (now you know about how old I am). My name is Beverley but everyone calls me Bev. Jewel is my middle name, so bjewel77 sounded ok to me. I live in the sticks in Northwest Arkansas, I'm "bjewel", so does that make me a diamond in the rough? :cool:

Bev

I only know how old you are because I graduated from HS in 1977 also. Course, I was in Missouri at the time, not stuck out here in Maryland.

robeiae
04-18-2005, 06:05 PM
My screen name is my name...followed by the first letters of each word in a particular four-word phrase, in Latin.

Any guesses?

Rob

aka eraser
04-18-2005, 07:16 PM
To make a short, boring story long and intensely soporific -- the name "eraser" just popped into my head when I was first confronted with choosing a screen name some six years ago for a chat forum. Back then, I often wrote first drafts in longhand, and often with a pencil that had...(wait for it)...an eraser at the tip. I liked the writerly and mistaken-ridden connotation.

So, armed with my newly-minted nick I slunk, quaking with nerves, into my first chat room. The first post directed to me was: "Oh cripes. A Mafioso come to rub us out. Just what we need."

Yikes.

But I found his mistaken notion empowering somehow. My apprehension left, I explained the nick and felt comfy when folks chuckled.

When AW started the Cooler on EZBoards some three years ago I tried to register the nick but it was taken. Back then you didn't need to register to post so I stuck to "eraser." When the rules changed and registration became mandatory I learned that "eraser" was still taken so I decided to precede it with "aka."

When we moved to this server, I could have registered just plain "eraser" and nearly did, but by then I decided lots of people knew me by the longer version so I stuck with it.

Folks also tend to call me "Frank" because I outed myself long ago.

You may now wake up and return to your regularly-scheduled program.

reph
04-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Which I always read as "Kentucky Tied Chicken."

Maryn
Of course you do. You're an erotica writer.

reph
04-18-2005, 09:30 PM
My screen name is my name...followed by the first letters of each word in a particular four-word phrase, in Latin.

Any guesses?

Rob
Does the phrase translate as "Old Marcellus had a farm"?

reph
04-18-2005, 09:34 PM
"Reph" is part of my real-life name. Too bad the story's no more exciting than that.

Ella
04-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Which I always read as "Kentucky Tied Chicken."

Maryn

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::Cheers:

maestrowork
04-18-2005, 09:43 PM
My screen name... it was first a proposed software product name I helped design about 10 years ago... I liked it, even though they didn't use the name. So I took it and created my own consulting company under that name. And I've been using it as my screen name for a while now.

MadScientistMatt
04-18-2005, 10:00 PM
My handle is a caryover from automotive message boards. I am fascinated by stories about people who have mixed and matched parts from different cars to build hot rods, the more outlandish the better (my all time favorite may be a Mazda Wankel engine in a Triumph Spitfire, built by Grassroots Motorsports Magazine). I have a Dodge Dart that right now has suspension and brake parts yanked off of about four or five different cars (some Darts from other years, and some cars that are not related at all) and a turbo from a K-car grafted onto the engine. It didn't work well with a carburetor, so now I am looking at building a fuel injection system with a homemade computer and a bunch of junkyard parts from yet more cars. If a B-movie mad scientist experimented with cars instead of brains and potions, he might drive something similar...

allion
04-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Mine is from a trunk novel that I started. I love the character, but she needs a new home. I figure that if any of my old "friends" try to find me, this will make it difficult to do so.

Sometimes, I can't close the closet door because of the skeletons shoved inside it!

Karen

brokenfingers
04-18-2005, 11:36 PM
I think I have more nicknames than anyone else in the world, actually. (Sarafina, Fina, Sprout, The Fonz, Mallard, Eowyn, wow, there are too many to name).

The Fonz?!?!? :cool: :ROFL:

Sarita
04-18-2005, 11:40 PM
The Fonz?!?!?
Wanna know why? :cool: And I'm surprised that you're the first one to make fun of me for that.

Gehanna
04-18-2005, 11:47 PM
I don't remember how I acquired the name Gehanna. I have had it for some time now. There are other names I have used in the past while online but of them all, this one has remained consistent. It has become my nom de plume.

I was not aware of the history of the name until last year. Had I known the association in advance, I doubt I would have ever used it. I was troubled by the thought of continuing to use the name considering what I have been working on and what I hope to establish in the near future.

It was not until I began posting here that I had to face its questionable history and my reasoning for its use. Oddly enough, it was then that I received my response and gained understanding of why. The exact response and understanding I was given is the response I gave.

Now that I no longer worry about it, I ponder newly gained insight into the very familiar question of "What's in a name?"

Sincerely,
Gehanna

brokenfingers
04-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Wanna know why? :cool: And I'm surprised that you're the first one to make fun of me for that.

Actually I wasn't making fun of it as much as just expressing shock that you had such a name ;)

And - yes, of course we want to know why!!

Sarita
04-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Actually I wasn't making fun of it as much as just expressing shock that you had such a name And - yes, of course we want to know why!!
hehe, okay. It's not that great, but I like the story. So, I had this old car in high school. Sometimes the dash lights behind the display would flicker out and I would have to hit the dash with my fist... fonz style... to make them come back on. So, my friend Rhoda one day was like "Easy, Fonz! Don't break the car!" And it just stuck. :) Oh and I'm a babe magnet. :ROFL:

Savannah Blue
04-19-2005, 12:03 AM
When I first joined on the old board, I was hiding from PublishAmerica. :scared: Now, they know exactly how I feel about them, :guns: so I'm not hiding any more. I keep the name cuz I think it's pretty.

brokenfingers
04-19-2005, 12:12 AM
hehe, okay. It's not that great, but I like the story. So, I had this old car in high school. Sometimes the dash lights behind the display would flicker out and I would have to hit the dash with my fist... fonz style... to make them come back on. So, my friend Rhoda one day was like "Easy, Fonz! Don't break the car!" And it just stuck. :) Oh and I'm a babe magnet. :ROFL:

LOL!!! Good one...

Gehanna - are you gonna leave us hanging as to the dark and mysterious history behind your name????

C'mon! We're baring our souls here!!! ;)

arrowqueen
04-19-2005, 12:31 AM
I have a bow and arrows and am of royal blood. (Ok. Ok. I lied about the royal blood - but I do have one of those cardboard crowns from Burger King.)

mdmkay
04-19-2005, 12:57 AM
Wellllllll.........I can tell you what it doesn't mean. When I first got married my husband teasingly called me Mdm. Kay as in married (French) as in language not cathouse. Before you even ask.......yea, I've had a few questions about it. Why haven't I changed it?........hell, I don't know. It is weird how having the name of Kay I never got stuck with any nicknames as a kid (even when I went through a stage of wanting one-----having someone looking down at you laughing their butt off at their own wit having had said "are you ok, Kay?" while bleeding to death did occasionally make me yearn for a less "punny" name. I got stuck with it when I first starting using the computer and haven't changed it. Although in my own defense I did try a name that described me better but it never caught on........unusuallyunusual-------it was a pain to spell anyway.-------NEXT:thankyou:

JenNipps
04-19-2005, 01:28 AM
My first name I registered with -- jyndral -- is a character I created for a fantasy novel that never went anywhere. My name now is my actual name. Well, Jenifer is my actual name, but I prefer Jen. :)

brokenfingers
04-19-2005, 01:31 AM
I'm sorry to ask, but the writing world wants to know:

Where'd the Nipps part come from?????

E.G. Gammon
04-19-2005, 01:32 AM
If my writing itself reflected the MEGA amount of creativity it took to come up with EGGammon, I'd never become a published writer. EGGammon just means E.G. Gammon, E, my first initial, G, my middle initial and Gammon - my last name. Ah, it's such a delight being stuck with the initials EGG.

And the reason why I decided to use E.G. Gammon as my writer name intead of the names behind my initials, is because when I first started writing my novel series (when it was intended to be a network soap opera), I created two characters - twin brothers, one good and one evil, and one is named my first name and the other is named my middle name. Later I realized it's not such a good idea to name a character (or in my case, 2) after yourself, so I shortened my name to E.G. Gammon.

JenNipps
04-19-2005, 01:35 AM
I'm sorry to ask, but the writing world wants to know:

Where'd the Nipps part come from?????

You got me. It's my actual last name.

When I was in college, I had to do a very detailed family tree. All I can tell you about the last name is it's German. lol.

Sarita
04-19-2005, 01:40 AM
It's actually Kentucky Tried Chicken. Verdict is, though, that they did not like it! Go figure!
I thought the verdict was, it's not real chicken?

rhymegirl
04-19-2005, 02:47 AM
Hmm.

Guess I'll play your little game,
Why'd I pick my Username?
If you read these words you'll see
Why it suits me perfectly.

ritinrider
04-19-2005, 04:54 AM
My username? Hmmm, long time ago (a couple of years ago) I registered on some other board (what was I thinking) about writing. I had heard all sorts of horror stories of what could/would happen if I used my real name. So, as I ventured forth I knew I needed a name. However, my creativity is severly limited to coloring within the lines. And, since at the time I was trying (unsuccessfully) to prepare for a weeklong, statewide, bicyle ride, I decided to use my two interests at the time to create a name, hence ritinrider. If I'd been working madly on a quilt (that's the only way I know to work on them), my name probably would've been quiltriter, or worse, ridinquiltriter.

So there you have the said story of the origin of my name.

Nita

SRHowen
04-19-2005, 06:05 AM
I only know how old you are because I graduated from HS in 1977 also. Course, I was in Missouri at the time, not stuck out here in Maryland.

Well, neat--I also graduated HS in 1977.

Shawn

And my screen name, --my initials.

astonwest
04-19-2005, 06:29 AM
Well, neat--I also graduated HS in 1977
I was 1 year old in the spring of 1977...
Ah, those were good times.
:)

Alphabet
04-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Well, I was looking for a writerly name, and I just thought this one was clever - which kind of shows my level doesn't it! :crazy:

Yes, and I'd like to announce that anyone can become a part of the Alpha Alpha Alpha sorority.. all you have to do is change your name to contain the consecutive letters 'Alpha' ... but, since it is a sorority, some might have to change sex too... now, who said we didn't have an open house policy?

:Cheer:

mmm... pancakes
04-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Well - y'all aren't gonna believe this - it's truth, though I don't always like to admit it, I guess I'm going to have to at some stage, though I hope by the time you get there it won't necessarily be something you'll care much about, being so exhausted from reading my terribly long sentence to get there, and being mentally exhausted - of course - from following the thread ALL THE WAY down here, at the bottom of the third page which is a quiet testament to everyone's ego, said in a nice way, of course, which isn't mean to sound condescending or mean, I just mean that really we've all posted in the vain hope that someone will be interested in reading something this trivial, though Mr Brokenfingers obviously is someone interested, but by no means do I imply he's got nothing better to do than ask questions that result in long-winded replies such as this, or short-winded (can I do that?) replies like 'it's just my initials', none of which is bad, per se; interested enough for me to've read it all, and wanted to reply, so I guess it's an okay question, and I'd better stop beating around the bush - at least that's what the policeman said - and actually answer the question, though most people will've guessed it by now: I like pancakes.

Bet you never would've guessed.

Stacks of them, each the size of my head, covered in glorious maple syrup and a small chunk of butter, perhaps with a side-plate of french toast and banana, cooked in such a way to leave them golden on both sides, and hot on the plate even by the time I'm down to the last one. STOP IT! The drool's flowing freely, now...

... mmm... pancakes...

Dammit! Can anyone courier over some maple syrup? They don't sell it here and I have to make do with lemon and sugar. Pleeeease?

Thanks, :D

Shiny_Penguin
04-19-2005, 05:56 PM
The story behind Shiny Penguin begins as many of my college stories do...I came back to the dorm really drunk one night. A friend was talking to me about something when I stopped him.

"Why are you talking about shiny penguins?"

Needless to say he was not talking about shiny penguins so that became my new nickname. I figured that one sounded better than my other college nickname, Guttersnipe. Way back I used to use Pookah online (after my pet rat), but now that one always seems to be taken when I go somewhere new.

firehorse
04-20-2005, 02:08 AM
My screen name... it was first a proposed software product name I helped design about 10 years ago... I liked it, even though they didn't use the name. So I took it and created my own consulting company under that name. And I've been using it as my screen name for a while now.It took me ages to stop reading your name as Maestro Fresh Wes (probably only Canucks will know who he is).

Mine comes from - talk about cultural appropriation - the year I was born according to Chinese astrology. From what I understand, centuries ago, baby girls born in Fire Horse years (every 60 years, when the element and animal combine) were killed because they were considered too smart and too strong to be suitable wives. I thought that was kind of cool... maybe it's why I'm not married ;) Plus, I grew up around horses (fire, not so much) and I think the phrase is beautiful.

I also named my company Firehorse Communications. Except I don't really have a company. Only on business cards. And I haven't had new ones printed up since I moved. So, um... :Shrug:

T42
04-20-2005, 06:32 PM
My screen name came from laziness when I was registering for AW. My book is "Tea For Two" Natures Apothecary and I normally use my business name which is "Mem's Rear Window" (Okay, honesty here. I'm lazy when it comes to that too and I just use Mem) That's how T42 came about. I'm too tired and old to write :Shrug: but I still like making brownies :banana:

firehorse
04-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Dammit! Can anyone courier over some maple syrup? They don't sell it here and I have to make do with lemon and sugar.I thought this was a Simpsons reference! And where do you live that you are denied the basic human right of maple syrup?!

sthrnwriter
04-21-2005, 12:40 AM
It surprises me how many people can't figure out what my screen name means. I thought it was pretty simple but I guess not. So here's the meaning behind the name. Sthrn is short for Southern (yeah I was too cheap to buy a vowel), I grew up in the south and I am a writer (like yall didn't already know). I hope no one here was confused about my name.

arrowqueen
04-21-2005, 01:21 AM
Nope. We smart.

zizban
04-21-2005, 01:48 AM
Name name comes from a charcater in the Dragonlance novels, Fizban. Zizban was actually a rip off of him I used in an RPG game for years. I like the name, so I use it everywhere now.

firehorse
04-21-2005, 02:16 AM
Sthrn is short for Southern For some reason, it always makes me think of David Strathairn, the actor. I'm sure a shrink would have a fun time with that... ;)

WVWriterGirl
04-21-2005, 06:48 AM
I'm only slightly less obvious than KTC and slightly more obvious than Sthrnwriter. WVWriterGirl.

Lessee...I live in West Virginia (yep, we're a state all by ourselves now! ;) ), I call myself a writer and um, yep, I'm a girl!

Mystery solved. Let's go get some Scooby snacks.

WVWG

HConn
04-21-2005, 07:16 AM
I chose this name because "William Haskins" was already taken.

watcher
04-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Watcher is short for Watcher at the Window, a name I use when I do inspirational writing.

oswann
04-21-2005, 11:50 AM
I chose the name JennaGlatzer because I thought that it sounded cool and that everyone would just totally adore me...

Okay I'll stop now. Sorry Jenna.
Os.

triceretops
04-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Since I'm a dino nut, I first used it on some of the major dino groups online. I decided to use it again at AW, and it linked with my current project, which I have since given up on, but retained the name. It's actually spelled wrong, and I didn't realize it until using the spellcheck on the old board. I'm too stipid to change it.

Triceratops (the right way to spell it)

Innocent01
04-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Well, I'm innocent most of the time, and there's only one of me. Hence, Innocent01.

astonwest
04-22-2005, 12:47 AM
I have no idea why I chose this name...
I think it may have been one of those random word generators...
much like people use with passwords when they can't come up with one...

Celeste
04-24-2005, 03:45 AM
Mine comes from - talk about cultural appropriation - the year I was born according to Chinese astrology. From what I understand, centuries ago, baby girls born in Fire Horse years (every 60 years, when the element and animal combine) were killed because they were considered too smart and too strong to be suitable wives. I thought that was kind of cool... maybe it's why I'm not married ;) Plus, I grew up around horses (fire, not so much) and I think the phrase is beautiful.

The story of your name is way cool, firefox! :Thumbs:

Stacks of them, each the size of my head, covered in glorious maple syrup and a small chunk of butter, perhaps with a side-plate of french toast and banana, cooked in such a way to leave them golden on both sides, and hot on the plate even by the time I'm down to the last one. STOP IT! The drool's flowing freely, now...

... mmm... pancakes...

And reading your post, mmm... pancakes, just made me hungry! I'm seriously going to go make some pancakes now! Lol...http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage11/16.gif

Yeshanu
04-24-2005, 04:22 AM
Name name comes from a charcater in the Dragonlance novels, Fizban. Zizban was actually a rip off of him I used in an RPG game for years.

Do us all a favour, Zizban, and don't cast any spells...

(Now how did that one go? Let's see...)

Ah, my name. I started out using the name Athena for a D&D character many years ago, and she became the major character in my novel. But when I tried to register on EZBoard, that name was already taken. And about that time I also realized that in order to sell the novel, I'd have to change the name, 'cuz Athena seems to be the name of some Greek godess. The fact that I was studying Greek myth in university at the time I named her has just a little bit to do with it...

Anyhow, about a year ago, I decided to make up an elvish language for my world, since I didn't think that elves and humans would both be speaking English. "Yeshanu" mean "Living One."

mmm... pancakes
04-24-2005, 06:22 AM
I thought this was a Simpsons reference! And where do you live that you are denied the basic human right of maple syrup?!

Well, it was a Simpsons parody - you've just proved yourself worthy, there - AND I'm denied maple syrup by the people all around me. I teach English in Anhui Province, China. People here amazingly have no concept of maple syrup, therefore there's no demand for it and no one stocks it. Heck, the people are still getting their heads around dairy foods. One of my teaching assistants asked me, quite sincerely, "What is the difference between butter and cheese?"

I was stammering too much to make a coherent reply. How can someone not know these basics of life? :Shrug:

It'll be 10 more months until that glorious day when I'll fly home, and greet my family off the plane with "Feed me pancakes. And maple syrup".

I suspect the nearest beacon of civilisation is Shanghai - eight hours by train - but I might have to take myself there for a good breakfast, one of these days..!

Susie
04-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Sherri234 is the first name of my pen name, 234 really doesn't mean anything. I wish it was a lucky cash 3 number and I had won money on it, but unfortunately, that's what I came up with in the middle of the night. lol.

Warm regards, Susie:)

Mr Underhill
04-25-2005, 07:56 AM
First, I am not the Mr Underhill of Fletch, the source of this misunderstanding with the so far silent sister of the Alpha's. I listed some other people I was not for her benefit.

The name is an old one among my people, from our ancestral home, of course. My nephew may have been the first to use it abroad, however. As to my true name, well perhaps it's best not to inquire. The last chap who tried it – let's just say it <ahem> backfired on him.
http://www.coolsmilies.net/animals/dragon.gif

oneidii
04-25-2005, 12:49 PM
ah...I breed and show Azawakh (a rare sighthound from the Tuareg in the Sahara) and the breed is known as the idii in Tamashek (Tuareg native language). Since I (at present anyway) have only one horribly spoiled dog living with me (for the curious, www.al-idii.de (http://www.al-idii.de)) I named my German email and name after him. His registered name, Idi Issa n'shat ehad, was just too long. :)

bluwinteryfox
04-26-2005, 12:36 AM
I wanted PA to know I was posting here. This was the same user name I had over there. :roll:

Yeshanu
04-26-2005, 04:50 PM
People here amazingly have no concept of maple syrup, therefore there's no demand for it and no one stocks it. Heck, the people are still getting their heads around dairy foods. Growing up in south-central Ontario, I had no idea that maple syrup was such a local product -- it's only produced in Ontario, Quebec, and the Northeastern parts of the US. The rest of the world has to suffer. Poor them!

mommie4a
04-26-2005, 05:13 PM
I don't have four kids, unless you count my husband. Second thought...I have four kids.

It's what I answer to most often. Although hottie4a would catch my attention too.

Alphabeter
05-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Actually, I'm part of a secret AW sorority---Alpha, Alpha, Alpha. There's Alphabet, Alphabeter, and me JAlpha. We even have a secret pledge . . . Alpha one and one for all! (Alphabet came up with that)
Oh no. I've spoiled the secret. :Smack:

You're in trouble JAlpha! Now go drink from the spotted cup again. :Lecture:

Mine is old. I've been using it online since 1989. I figured any writer in any language has to use an alphabet. So a person who uses an alphabet would be an Alphabet-er.

Its so ingrained that every time I type the word alphabet, I have to stop and delete the er that my fingers automatically add.

William Haskins
05-13-2005, 05:48 PM
you wacky kids and your wacky online names.

it's just... wacky.

Alphabeter
05-13-2005, 06:45 PM
First, I am not the Mr Underhill of Fletch, the source of this misunderstanding with the so far silent sister of the Alpha's. I listed some other people I was not for her benefit.

I resemble that remark.

I need a new disguise.

DTKelly
05-13-2005, 06:56 PM
I used to be a firefighter and worked on a tower ladder... Kel is a nickname.

SeanDSchaffer
05-13-2005, 11:44 PM
SeanDSchaffer is my real name, with the exception of a couple spaces and a period.

Here's an interesting piece of trivia for you: when I was born in 1971, my Mom and Dad were big fans of Ian Fleming's works. Specifically the James Bond novels.

I don't remember what character they were going to name me after if I were born a girl, but in the case of my being a boy, they were going to name me after the actor who played James Bond in the movies.

The actor who played James Bond in the late '60's, and early '70's was Sean Connery, and therefore he is my first-namesake.

Interesting, huh?
:idea:

William Haskins
05-14-2005, 12:30 AM
my namesake was william the conqueror, due to his other nickname, "william the bastard".

MadScientistMatt
05-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Sean, that's an interesting story behind you name. I hope they weren't thinking of giving a daughter a name after a Bond girl... A name like "Plenty" would have been weird enough even if they hadn't named her Plenty O'Toole.

Admitted_Patient
05-14-2005, 12:34 AM
I got my name from a band called Forgotten Pride. I'm a very large fan even though they are only local. One of their songs really strike me as if it was me myself if that song. It's called: Asylum. It's about someone who is stuck in an Asylum and is being shot with needles, but the paitent is saying: "No, get the hell away. Hear these words I say, I don't need your medications. I am feeling really fine, you won't drug me this time, I can't control the situation." It's sad. The commuity of the teenage world and even adults are poisoned with drugs from the television or school or even drugs itself. I feel like the Patient with family and friends. If anyone has a chance evem you should definitely check out Forgotten Prides' website: www.ForgottenPride.com/home.html (http://www.ForgottenPride.com/home.html).

mommie4a
05-14-2005, 12:35 AM
you wacky kids and your wacky online names.

it's just... wacky.

Reading this post makes me want to change my name to Wacky. Maybe...Wackymommie4a?

Brainerd T.
05-14-2005, 12:49 AM
If you can decode "The Gold Bug", IT SHOULD BE A SIMPLE MATTER To decode my name. (I know. I didn't understand it either)

I chose my name because I invented it. It is an alias, a nom de plume. It helps me stay anonymous. It is an assumed name, a nondescript personage. It is an identitiy moniker.

It all started when I wanted to write my daddy a letter. He didn't want anything to do with us after my parents divorced. I didn't want him to know who I was, so I wrote him a one page letter under the auspices (or cover) of Brainerd T., hoping he'd at least know who who I was after reading the letter. Even though I never reveaqled my name, he would have known it. And that's the truth. The other paragraphs are just jokes I use to hide the truth. And that's the truth. :grin:

kappapi99
05-14-2005, 01:20 AM
I've used this name for quite a few forums, I figured why not one more?

Kappa Pi is my alma mater...99 is the year I finally graduated :)