How much per hour?

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I am in the midst of editing and rewriting my novel Bruised Fruit. I work on it constantly, and wish I had been keeping track of the hours spent working on it. I was thinking this morning "What would I be making an hour?" when it gets published.

I get paid for writing my column but this is different. I'm thinking by the time I get done, maybe it will be $1.75 per hour. :)

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I am in the midst of editing and rewriting my novel Bruised Fruit. I work on it constantly, and wish I had been keeping track of the hours spent working on it. I was thinking this morning "What would I be making an hour?" when it gets published.

I get paid for writing my column but this is different. I'm thinking by the time I get done, maybe it will be $1.75 per hour. :)
Hard to say. But for example, if it took you 500 hours to write and double that to edit then you are at around 1500 hours. If you sold the book on advance of $5000 then your hours paid to write and edit is roughly $3.35 an hour.

Of course if you never sell the work then you should be allowed to deduct the expenses on your tax returns. :D

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I do not even want to THINK of how much I get "paid" per hour... oh man. It's even worse if you count in all the trash you wrote beforehand, to get good enough to write that one novel...

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score

If you're lucky! I can't imagine how many hours I've spent writing, rewriting, writing some more....you know the drill. If my book is never published, does that mean I owe myself money?