PDA

View Full Version : Suite 101 - Worthwhile?

tombookpub
07-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Suite 101, similar to About.com, has recently accepted my applicatoin to write sports articles. Although I realize the pay is nominal, is the experinece worthwhile in developing a platform, greater hits on my name in search engines, etc. Or is this just a waste of time based on your understanding/experiences?
Thanks, Tom

lilypond
10-09-2008, 08:53 PM
I am writing for suite101 since 3 months. The editorial feedback is great, you learn a lot and the pay isn't so bad. I recommend it.

Skyraven
10-11-2008, 05:46 AM
What is the pay?

Laurie PK
10-11-2008, 05:47 AM
I just wrote The Top 10 Reasons to Write for Suite101 (http://theadventurouswriter.com/blogwriting/archives/86) - maybe it'll help you decide :-)

rljude
10-11-2008, 07:27 PM
I just wrote The Top 10 Reasons to Write for Suite101 (http://theadventurouswriter.com/blogwriting/archives/86) - maybe it'll help you decide :-)

Great article Laurie!

cress8
10-12-2008, 05:04 AM
I couldn't find specific info on the rights they buy or their pay. Anyone know?

asorum
10-12-2008, 10:03 AM
I have been with 101 for a couple years. The pay is modest, but should be continuous. I've gotten better at preparing articles there and have had good editors. The material I have produced has provided a good platform for other opportunities and I have picked up several jobs because of it.

101 retains online rights for one year, the author has the print rights and there needs to be an attribution that the work first appeared at the site. I can't say 101 is for everyone, but I have enjoyed it.

asorum
10-12-2008, 10:05 AM

I just read Laurie's article and agree with it. She has laid it out in good order!

jimmysdevoted
10-13-2008, 05:55 AM
I didnt find it worthwhile. For me anyway. It may be good for things other than crafts and health realted subjects.
Suite 101 university is a very long process too.
Unless they ahve changed since two years ago.
julie

Scrawler
10-20-2008, 10:50 PM
I don't write for Suite 101 for the money, I do it to enhance my existing business (a marketing and public relations company). I write about marketing/pr topics and I link the articles to my website.

Hype or not, the fact that Suite 101 says "The world's most comprehensive independent online magazine: written and edited by professionals, trusted by over ten million monthly readers" makes me/my business look good.

As far as pay-- I think it's pennies per click or something silly.

WittyWordsmith
10-31-2008, 05:27 AM
I just sent in an application. Does anyone know the time-frame for a response back? I got the auto-reply that my application was submitted, but was wondering how long before I'd have an answer.

Laurie PK
11-04-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't know what the time frame is for a response.........have you heard back yet, WittyWordsmith? Sometimes editors get buried..... (okay, let's face it, they're ALWAYS buried!).

Sunshine13
11-05-2008, 07:42 AM
It says somewhere int he submission process you should hear back around 48 hours. Unless I read wrong? I heard back in 48 hours.

MrsHannigan
11-09-2008, 12:13 PM
I find it worthwhile.

The minimum commitment amounts to 4 articles per month (10 or 12 every 90 days) and last month I made almost $200, so that's about $50 per article. The reason the income goes up every month is because you are adding and adding to your content web. The more you write, the more you make. Your articles continue earning forever.

It's not accurate to say "pennies per click" because each clickable link is valued differently, based on the competition among advertisers for the keyword.

The Suite101 University is obsolete, the site has been around for over ten years and last year they had over ten million unique viewers and their overall Alexa ranking dropped (that's a good thing) down to under 2000. The techies keep up with web technology and are always changing the rules so that we (and they) make more money.

The skills I learn at Suite bring me success elsewhere on the web, too. Including my personal websites. But not my blog, I just relax there.

nickelnm
12-01-2008, 07:22 PM
I am somewhat bummed out. I just got rejected by Suite101. I have read some of the stories posted on their site and don't feel that mine was all that different. Is it possible to re-apply after a certain timeframe? I didn't see that information listed on the website.

Any Suggestions?

Sunshine13
12-02-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm not sure. What kind of article did you submit? Was it written in first person?

MacStainless
12-02-2008, 08:34 AM
I've been interested in Suite101 for a while and this thread reminded me of it. I signed up but didn't submit an application a few months ago. Perhaps I should do that and if I'm accepted I can make a couple of bucks while constructing a writing resume.

ishtar'sgate
12-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks Laurie. Great help. I just signed up.

ishtar'sgate
12-05-2008, 08:29 PM
In case anyone is still interested in this thread I thought I'd keep you posted on my progress. I applied to Suite 101 on December 2nd and got my autoreply. Their site says to expect approval (or rejection) within 48 hours but 48 hours has passed and I haven't heard anything yet. I'll let you know when I hear back, regardless of whether or not I'm accepted so you will have an idea of the time frame.

smoothseas
12-05-2008, 08:46 PM

Thanks, Laurie.

ishtar'sgate
12-06-2008, 08:50 PM
I heard back from Suite 101 this morning and I've been accepted! Looks like I've got a bunch of reading to do before I can begin posting. What's really cool is that their head office is in my province so if I venture down to Vancouver I might even be able to drop in for a visit.
Anyway, I submitted my application on December 2nd and was approved the morning of December 6th - not 48 hours but pretty quickly, especially in this business.

MacStainless
12-07-2008, 03:12 AM
I also just got word today that my application was approved. I submitted it on Monday morning and received the e-mail today. I'll probably sign the contract in a day or so once I read over everything. I'm excited to see where this takes me in my writing and I'm hopeful it's the first step into a writing career!

Kalyke
12-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi I just started to read this thread because I am sort of desperate for some sort of paycheck. Can I ask if the people who applied used old articles from some other publication, or just used (or perhaps) wrote new articles for the "sample article?" I was published a long time ago, and haven't written a magazine article since, so I really do not have any recently published articles.

ishtar'sgate
12-08-2008, 03:47 AM
Hi I just started to read this thread because I am sort of desperate for some sort of paycheck. Can I ask if the people who applied used old articles from some other publication, or just used (or perhaps) wrote new articles for the "sample article?" I was published a long time ago, and haven't written a magazine article since, so I really do not have any recently published articles.
You can use an original article, so something new, or something previously published. I pieced together a few postings from the Q&A page on my website and a contribution I made to an article for Solander magazine. The Solander article was an opinion piece and was written in first person so I made a few alterations and also changed it to third person as per their requirements.
Good luck!

MacStainless
12-08-2008, 10:07 AM

I used some how-to articles from a podcast I used to run. They didn't seem to have a problem with it.

twnkltoz
12-27-2008, 08:48 PM
The pay is basted on ad revenue from AdSense. Some days you'll earn a lot, and others not as much, for the same number of clicks.

I don't have enough on there to be earning much--I'm currently at $8.08 after three months and just a few articles. My account was actually suspended for not keeping up on the minimum requirement, but I have the option of asking them to reinstate it if I promise to keep up.

padnar
12-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi,
Will they accept Indian English articles?
padma

araa
01-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Hello everyone,
I found this site the other day because of the post by victoriastrauss 3-20-07 on uploading to content sites. It was very good, I thought. Suite 101 is fine and it helps if you are clever and drive people to read your articles so the keywords get clicked upon. Its about quantity and you can learn about internet writing. If I post here and say look at my article, then you might look and I would get the page views to add a few cents, maybe. But I am new and polite and so not driving you to read my stuff, sigh.
This is a nice site, Thank you.

Proach
01-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi,

I'm actually writing fro Suite101 myself. I've been on for a few months, but only have written and published 9 articles so far. I write historical articles. I honestly have received very little pay, and havn't been flagged by my editor for any of my articles, since the first article. So far I only have 541 views for the month of January--and that is for all of my articles, and I've only earned 20 cents so far. Thats what my stats show anyway.

I'm just wondering what everyone else is writing about on Suite101 to get more clicks and better pay?

twnkltoz
01-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Has anyone asked for reinstatement after being suspended? I wrote to the address they suggested and gave my reasons for leaving and wanting to come back, and I haven't heard anything yet.

Proach
01-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi Twnklotz
Are you talking about Suite101?

TheGuy
01-27-2009, 09:36 PM
I will be sending in an application later today to do sports writing. What are the odds of getting accepted? Do they have a pretty stringent selection process?

twnkltoz
01-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Hi Twnklotz
Are you talking about Suite101?

Yes.

Goodchild
01-30-2009, 01:45 AM
This looks promising. I do like the idea of writing regular articles, even if I only make 50p from the whole thing. I think I shall apply and see if I can put my vhs collection of 80's horror films to good use haha not too mention my astounding wit and intellect, wink wink.

him8nc
07-19-2009, 08:10 PM

Just got a 404 page error when I tried to access this article, so I found its new link and wanted to share it for those who are still interested in this topic.

This topic brought me back to this message forum. I was just Googling to see if writing for Suite101 is worth it, and it brought me to this thread.

I had been a member before, but with the changing of email addresses over a few years, I had no idea what my previous login would have been, so I just started fresh with a new one.

Anyway, here is the new link:
http://theadventurouswriter.com/blogwriting/quoted-writers/10-reasons-to-write-for-suite101/

CyndiA
09-08-2009, 07:09 AM
I've been writing for Suite 101 since 2006. It's not fast or easy money. It's more like a savings account. If you write good articles and steady, then you can have a solid and increasing check month after month. With a little over 200 articles up and earning, I make enough monthly to pay my electric bill and cable every month.

Laurie PK
09-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Him8nc,

Thanks for posting the new link to the reasons to write for Suite101! I updated the article and tweaked the title, which caused the broken link. Didn't think to come back and fix it --- so I appreciate that you did.

I've been writing for Suite since 2006, too. My current goal is to consistently earn $20 per day, and I'm just about there....it's a fabulous source of passive income, and a great way to build web writing and traditional writing skills. I love it.

Laurie

CyndiA
09-09-2009, 12:06 AM
That's great Laurie! I don't make that much, but I'm the FW in Southern Cuisine. Food/cooking doesn't pay much online. Most people just look up recipes. Not much in terms of ads (or good paying ones anyway). I enjoy sharing Southern recipes though. So, it's nice to cover a couple of bills and write in an area I enjoy. I consider it a hobby and write magazine and technical pieces freelance.