Best way to contact an author? Through publisher or agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
I need to get in contact with Tom Stoppard to get permission to mention his name in my book. I found two e-mail addresses: one for his publisher and one for his agent. Which would be a better way to contact him? I'm assuming e-mail would be better than snail mail, but I'm willing to be corrected!

Last edited:

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
I would think his agent would be the best way.

Thanks! And now I've run into another question: It turns out he's "Sir Tom Stoppard." How do I address him? Dear Sir Stoppard? Dear Sir Tom?

ETA: Just found the answer in This handy table.

It would be "Dear Sir," or "Dear Sir Tom,"

I'm going with Dear Sir Tom.

Last edited:

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you need his permission to mention his name?

ETA - Sorry, just saw the other thread: you most certainly don't need to get Stoppard's permission to mention his name as you have. Hell, you could write a whole book on Stoppard and not need his permission.

Last edited:

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
Why do you need his permission to mention his name?

ETA - Sorry, just saw the other thread: you most certainly don't need to get Stoppard's permission to mention his name as you have. Hell, you could write a whole book on Stoppard and not need his permission.

Well, I just sent an e-mail to him through his agent, so we'll see how it goes. While I may not have needed to, I'll feel better having his permission. I would want it if someone were mentioning me in that way. (May it someday be so.)

I also mention Madeleine L'Engle, but not as personally. She died last year. And Hans Christian Andersen, but he of course has been gone for quite a while. :)

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously a good portion of your manuscript revolves around your ability to get a slew of permissions. You are also making a few assumptions about permissions which you don't need. While you have received excellent advice and opinions for many at AW and are now trying to contact some people by email, I believe the best route for you is to contact an intellectual rights attorney and discuss the entire matter. The attorney will tell you what you can and can't do without permissions, and if permissions are needed will tell you how to try and obtain same and what forms or letters you need. It's an investment which in your case may be very worth while.

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
Obviously a good portion of your manuscript revolves around your ability to get a slew of permissions. You are also making a few assumptions about permissions which you don't need. While you have received excellent advice and opinions for many at AW and are now trying to contact some people by email, I believe the best route for you is to contact an intellectual rights attorney and discuss the entire matter. The attorney will tell you what you can and can't do without permissions, and if permissions are needed will tell you how to try and obtain same and what forms or letters you need. It's an investment which in your case may be very worth while.

I appreciate this advice. At what point should I do this, assuming my pre-emptive e-mails don't get me the information/permissions I need or want? At this point I'm about 1/4 done with my text, and don't anticipate needing any more quotes. I'd hate to spend money on an attorney and have it turn out that my book isn't even publishable.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
If you are fictionalizing his character, or in some way besmirching him, you probably need his permission. Otherwise, in my own experience, you don't need it. I casually mention a ton or real people and places in my book and it wasn't a problem.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
You also now have another problem. Since you HAVE asked, should Sir Tom say "No", you have no choice but to remove him, and potentially any references to his works, depending on what his potential "No" might include. The act of asking gives him the right to get legally nasty if he says no and you go ahead anyway.

Who knows what the odds are, but I'd recommend you think of an alternative in case he's not flattered by the request. That way, you're either prepared or get to be giddy and potentially get a succesful author as a pen pal when he says "Yes".

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
You also now have another problem. Since you HAVE asked, should Sir Tom say "No", you have no choice but to remove him, and potentially any references to his works, depending on what his potential "No" might include. The act of asking gives him the right to get legally nasty if he says no and you go ahead anyway.

Who knows what the odds are, but I'd recommend you think of an alternative in case he's not flattered by the request. That way, you're either prepared or get to be giddy and potentially get a succesful author as a pen pal when he says "Yes".

Ros and Guil aren't his characters -- Stoppard borrowed them from Shakespeare. And even the phrase "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead" comes from Hamlet. Stoppard borrowed that, too. So I can certainly borrow from Shakespeare and write around it if Sir Tom says no, but I sure hope he says yes! I think it will make the story better.

Status
Not open for further replies.