Manga Beginning Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with the beginning in my plot, One Thousand Strokes, which is about a manga artist, who found a paint brush, which can bring paintings to life.

I the beginning, so far I thought, the manga artist, Mari Sato, is trying to get her manga work publish by a company, but none of them are interested with her work. They just gave her advice to keep working on it. Soon, Mari heard there's a cartoon art contest going on. She thinks if her artwork wins, the company will accept her work. So she begins to work on a picture based on her manga.

I plan that she finds the paint brush and decide to use it to work on her picture for the contest. That's when her picture comes a live and brings trouble in the city. So my problem is, I'm trying to figure out how Mari found the paint brush and decide to use it to paint her picture before she disover it's magical.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
She finds it tightly gripped in the hand of a dead man lying in an alleyway near her draughty attic apartment/studio above the local cathouse. The man's wrinkled prune face makes him look 101 years old and he has a shock of snow white hair, but when Mari summons the police and they identify the body, she discovers he was only 25 and was an artist whose latest works were hailed as genius. He foolishly ignored warnings not to paint at midnight when there's a full Moon, because then whatever gets painted is evil and will destroy its creator.

Or not.

-Derek

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
I avoid manga at pretty much any cost, but my brother and sister are obsessive about it. That being said, what if the paint brush were discovered a locked trunk in the attic of a 'black sheep' of the family, like an uncle, grandmother, estranged sister. It seems to me keeping an element of family is important in manga. And culturally in Japan. ^_^

And if all else fails, adds a talking animal. ^_^

-An

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
In my last first draft of my plot, she found it in the attic. The paint brush belongs to her grandmother, but it was meant to be pass on to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.