PDA

View Full Version : How is that possible?

Shadow_Ferret
07-11-2008, 10:35 PM
I've been watching my mutual funds take a dive here and I was going to do some moving around to try and stave off some of the bleeding and as I was looking at what each fund was invested in, I found that one of them, that seemed to be bleeding the most profusely, was in fact, mostly OIL STOCKS!

WTF? The oil companies are making record profits and yet my investments in them are tanking? How is that possible?

Do they simply keep the profits to themselves, sharing it between all the executives so they can buy their daughters ponies and it never makes it to the shareholders?

I guess I don't understand the world of high finance as much as I'd like.

Tink
07-11-2008, 10:40 PM
I am so glad that I keep my money stuffed in my mattress and in fruit jars buried out back....:D

maestrowork
07-11-2008, 10:40 PM
It's a mystery, isn't it? Both Exxon and Chevron have climbed to #5, beating out GM and Wal-Mart...

I guess it depends on the stocks your mutual fund is actually holding. Not all funds are equal and not all managers are good.

It's July and traditionally stocks are low in this period. I've switched my funds around to ease the hemorrhage, mostly into more fixed income at this point.

maestrowork
07-11-2008, 10:41 PM
I am so glad that I keep my money stuffed in my mattress and in fruit jars buried out back....:D

I know where you live, by the way...

Bubastes
07-11-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm loading up on my stock mutual funds right now. I can't resist a sale.

maestrowork
07-11-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm waiting for them to hit bottom. :) And moving averages are your friend.

Tink
07-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I know where you live, by the way...
I have recently moved to undisclosed location...and I took my mattress and the fruit-jars with me. ;)

Pagey's_Girl
07-11-2008, 11:29 PM
*Tries to remember just which eleven different funds her 401k is in...*