PDA

View Full Version : What kind of things do you find offensive?

Write4U2
07-11-2008, 10:09 PM
More than 600 workers and college students in the Baltimore area ranked bad behavior on a scale ranging from 1 (not offensive) to 5 (most offensive).

The 'Terrible 10' List

Based on those rankings, the "Terrible 10" behaviors are (from most to least offensive):

10.Employment discrimination.

9.Erratic/aggressive driving that endangers others.

8.Taking credit for someone else's work.

7.Treating service providers as inferiors.

6.Mocking race, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, or religion.

5.Children who behave aggressively or who bully others.

4.Littering.

3.Misusing handicapped privileges.

2.Smoking in non-smoking places or smoking in front of non-smokers without asking.

1.Using cell phones or text-messaging in mid-conversation or during an appointment or meeting.

Some actions, such as discrimination, may be illegal; but even more subtle behaviors, such as making a sexist joke or not asking before lighting a cigarette, still add to the stress of the daily grind and can actually lower productivity.

"The research suggests that people are bothered more by the transgressions of coworkers and strangers than by those of family and friends," says P.M. Forni, director of the Civility Initiative at Johns Hopkins.

What are your pet peeves? One of mine is being interrupted when I'm talking, or someone who hogs a conversation - actually, making it not a conversation, but a one-sided diatribe.

maestrowork
07-11-2008, 10:55 PM
People who cut in line.

When a new line is open, instead of moving everyone already in line first, they take the last two people -- WTF? What ever happens to first come first served?

Tailgaters. I wish I could just slam on the brakes or something.

Parents who spoil their kids rotten and let them do whatever in public places.

cray
07-11-2008, 10:59 PM
roman numerals.

especially III

:D

Stew21
07-11-2008, 11:00 PM
overused and misused apostrophes.

up you're's.

eta: that was for cray, not the OP ;)

"What do you find offensive?"

"Stew's post."

sorry.

maestrowork
07-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Batteries that grow larger and larger.

cray fish.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-11-2008, 11:22 PM
People who are cruel to animals... they bring out the very worst in me.

dgiharris
07-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Siding with Criminals (or the person in the wrong) instead of the victim (person in the right).

God, I can't stand that.

Tink
07-11-2008, 11:27 PM
People who are deliberately cruel to other people...no matter how they do it rather it be with words or with actions! :rant:

Jersey Chick
07-11-2008, 11:35 PM
The phrase "We're pregnant" drives me nuts. Unless I'm wrong, only women get pregnant.

Tailgaters - prepare to get real friendly with my trunk

People who ride the shoulder as a lane because they are too important to sit in traffic like the rest of us.

Luxury car owners who think they own the road and the laws don't apply to them. Though, I wonder how they got that no-turn-signal option. My car came with the blinky arrows as standard equipment.

People who abuse children or animals - there's a special place in hell for them. Nice and toasty, too.

Cranky
07-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Child abusers

Misuse of the word 'retarded'

Tailgaters

Line-cutters

Nose pickers

dageezer
07-11-2008, 11:39 PM
People who spout that their rights are more important than other peoples rights.

People that think the world revolves around them. (little do they know it revolves around me)

DeleyanLee
07-11-2008, 11:42 PM
People who ride the shoulder as a lane because they are too important to sit in traffic like the rest of us.

Saw someone do that the other day--and out of nowhere a cop appeared and nailed them before they could merge. It made my day.

I find the entire "politically correct" movement highly offensive, at least the vast extremes we're subjected to the last few years. My one writing motto is to be as un-PC as possible, if only for my own sanity.

Inky
07-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Rude behavior
Someone saying 's'cuse me, but not giving you a second to register they were speaking to you, so instead, they mow you down then dare to get pissed that you didn't move in time.

Tailgaters...the kind that speed up to your car, then fall back, then speed up...oh, how I love the look on their face when I slam on the brakes. Priceless.
For everything else, there's Mastercard

Racial slurs said with the excuse: well, they say it to each other, so why can't I? They say it about themselves...why can't I call 'em that too? Well...I call myself a fat ass, but if YOU call me a fat ass, I'm going to flatten you until you're nothing more than a manhole cover. Savvy?

That I'm not a mod *glowers at III, Haggis, RT, Stew, and Dawno. I KNOW it's a conspiracy.

Zipping past me, swerving into my lane...then slowing down. Byach! So I speed up to their bumper, then fall back..then speed up to their bumper..then fall back...it makes me feel better.

Mr Flibble
07-11-2008, 11:53 PM
bigots. I am bigoted against bigots. I am a bigotist. Should I hate myself?

Lack of manners.

maestrowork
07-11-2008, 11:55 PM

Yeah... that just happened the other day. There was a big accident so everyone was in traffic, and then these cars just went zipping past on the shoulder like they ruled the land. I got so pissed so I blocked the shoulder, as did the SUV in front of me. Then this truck got really close to my car and tried to push me aside. Then he went down to the grass area and tried to pass both my car and the SUV. That guy had some nerve.

So I opened the Mountain Dew bottle full of piss and threw it into his open window.

(j/k, but that would have been fun)

SpookyWriter
07-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Nose pickersNose picker eaters.

Cranky
07-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Nose picker eaters.

Thanks. Now I'm thoroughly grossed out. *shudders*

maestrowork
07-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Nose picker eaters.

How do you eat them? You put them in a boiling pot or do you roast them on a stick?

I don't eat boogers but I do flick them into someone else's coffee or jelly donuts.

Inky
07-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Nose picker eaters.
aaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Cranky
07-12-2008, 12:00 AM
*flees thread, gagging*

Inky
07-12-2008, 12:02 AM
no shit *follows Crankypants*

Clair Dickson
07-12-2008, 12:12 AM
People who park their shopping cart diagonally across the aisle, then, holding onto the handle, reach to the OTHER side of the aisle to browse the seven hundred varieties of chocolate chip cookies, effectively blocking an entire aisle. And when you say 'Excuse me', they pull their cart two inches closer to them without looking to see that, yes, they are STILL blocking the entire aisle. I swear, one of these days, I will club someone to death with Double Fudge Chunk Chocolate Chip cookies...

People who try to ask the retail employee for assistance in the middle of their cell phone conversation. I pretend I think they're still talking on the phone... you want my help, hang up.

People who try to tell me that being a teacher is a cushy job. Look, I'd know if my job was cushy, okay? If they'd like to spend a day in my class, I'd be happy to disillusion anyone who thinks it's easy.

Smokers. Not because they smoke, but because they (or at least many of them) think their addiction entitles them to extra breaks, violate policy (ie, no leaving the building), and littering (have you ever noticed HOW many cigarette butts and packs are on the ground EVERYWHERE? Gah!)

Joycecwilliams
07-12-2008, 12:17 AM
These are not in any particular order..

Heavy perfume

Screaming kids and their parents just make it worse.

T Shirts that have obscene things on them where children can see them.

Spitting in public.

Drunks.

Pumpkin Smashers.

Line cutters.

People who pass you using the breakdown lane.

Dogs being tied up outside.

Parents who don't give a shit about their kids.

I know I have more... just can't think of them.

Inky
07-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Clair?
I don't envy you a job involving children. Not one bit.
When my daycare facility would apologize that they were raising their rates, I'd whip out the checkbook and ask: 'how much?'

I didn't care what it cost. I had a kick-ass daycare center set up that my kids loved...and since I'm no fool...it takes a saint to handle that many kids...I'll pay whatever they want!

As for being a teacher?
I'M the one that would show up with a gun...or a guillotine...

Inky
07-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Oh, God, Yes, spitting in public.
NO GENTLEMAN SPITS IN PUBLIC....blech....ubber gross...nasty...pig from hell....ick, ick, double ick!!!

Oh...and that sucking inward...all the crude from the nose...then hacking it out...with a loud 'whooosh' as gunk sails across...and splats....or they swallow....*faints*

Joycecwilliams
07-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Oh, God, Yes, spitting in public.
NO GENTLEMAN SPITS IN PUBLIC....blech....ubber gross...nasty...pig from hell....ick, ick, double ick!!!

Oh...and that sucking inward...all the crude from the nose...then hacking it out...with a loud 'whooosh' as gunk sails across...and splats....or they swallow....*faints*

I should also add, chewing tobacco... yuk..

maestrowork
07-12-2008, 12:26 AM
People who wait and wait and wait until the cashier tells them, "$12.95 please" then slowly pull out their checkbook and slowly write down the store's name and then ask again, "How much?" and then wait for the cashier to ask them for their driver's license and then pull out their wallet again to get it....

People who try to find that penny at the bottom of their purses so they can pay for that $1.98 purchase.

People who take FOREVER to decide and order their snacks and drinks at the theater concession stand.

You may see a pattern in my posts -- I am impatient. I hate lines. Anything to move that along, please.

Don Allen
07-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Okay, this really pisses me off and I'm glad there's a thread available to vent because if this keeps up you may see old D.G. on the news for beating some guy to death for staring or making rude remarks toward my wife. Let me explain, If any of you have read anything I posted on this site in the last year, with the exception of some serious stuff, you know that I look for humor in most situations because I live by the belief that we all take ourselves way to seriously and need to have fun poked at us once in a while. BUT... This one thing is driving me nuts. My wife an i love tennis, you may remember that my wife is 20 years my junior and quite frankly she has a great figure, nice legs and pretty the whole deal, We can go to parties and she can flirt with guys and I tease right along with the best of them, but when we go to a park and play tennis we always have some Jack off either drive by, or in some cases stop and get out of there car and gawk at her in her tennis outfit, just the skirt and top, or shorts, and this week I almost killed a guy because of what he did. He walks past the court, then walks back and stops and starts to stare, then gets on his cell phone still gawking at her, when finally I stopped the game and asked WTF he was looking at? He got all embarrassed and left but I'm telling you guys I damn near hit him with the racket... Its like hey take a quick look if you have too, but then move on... I had to vent... sorry if you think I'm nuts... It's just this thing,,,, Hope you understand..

TerzaRima
07-12-2008, 12:54 AM
This may betray a big honking class bias but:

Skeevy, trashy clothes on children. This includes teeny glittery t shirts bearing such age-appropriate, adorable legends as Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me? and Sexy Lady! I don't want to see your sweet little kindergartener in a leopard mini and plastic high heels, troglodyte ahead of me in line at Target. I don't think she should have pierced ears, either--yeah, I know some cultures do it but not in my ideal culture and this is my rant. I also don't want to see your little boy in a Mohawk or with a pierced ear.

Now let me move onto another demographic. Um. For want of a better expression, college town parents? We all get that you're nice people and that you care about the earth and that your kids are special. You don't need to work signifiers into every conversation, like, "When I took the hybrid out yesterday to the market..."Honey, do you need the keys to the hybrid?" Nobody has yet had the stones to point out to you that it's still a car that uses gas.

Also, I respect your choice not to have cable, but you lose points for working it into the conversation at every turn:

Coworker: Did you see Project Runway last night? You (smiling beatifically): No. Felicity and I don't have cable.

Me: Hey. Did you hear about the hurricane in Burma? You (smiling beatifically): No. It's such a crazy, random world. Which is why Felicity and I don't have cable.

The way you tend to dwell on your kids as hip accessories is the final irksome bit of douchebaggery. If I see one more Soundgarden onesie, I'm going to lose it. Our ironic Gen X childhoods are over, people.

tiny
07-12-2008, 01:04 AM
"douchebaggery"....

funniest thing I've read all day. :D

Shadow_Ferret
07-12-2008, 01:19 AM
People who don't behave the way I think they should. In other words, rude people, people who think they're better than others, people who are know-it-alls, people who raise their kids poorly, people who don't follow societal rules because they are full of self-importance, loud talkers, cell phone abusers, bad drivers, people who don't shower, people who wear too much perfume/cologne, pessimists.

Kalyke
07-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Age discrimination. It's not illegal. People get fired because they are middle aged.

pconsidine
07-12-2008, 01:32 AM
It's funny the definitions of "offensive" at work in this thread (and in the original survey, I guess). I operate on a pretty strict scale from Annoyed or Irritated, through Irate or Pissed Off, and only then to Offended. Idiot drivers usually only reach the Irritation level for me (though the guy who almost killed me definitely hit Pissed Off).

So what Offends me? A quick list:

Dogmatists of any sort;
Conspiracy theorists;
Neglectful parents;
The Art world;
Evangelists, both religious and not.

TerzaRima
07-12-2008, 01:48 AM
This thread should be called, what kind of things don't you find offensive? It would make things easier for curmudgeons like me.

Also re the crunchy white people above: I think it's nice that you're breastfeeding your kids and feeding them organic Cheerios, but you get a penalty for mocking those who give their kids formula.

And you know something? Their kids will likely grow up as healthy and as smart as yours will*, plus they won't have inherited the smug tool genes.

*..and, now I have to turn in my pediatrician card.

Write4U2
07-12-2008, 02:05 AM
raisins

dry crumbly cookies

people who suck their teeth

people who ask me if I wear a wig

kids 5 and up who still talk baby talk

any one smug

people with an "attitude"

those who don't respect older people

maestrowork
07-12-2008, 02:22 AM
People who don't behave the way I think they should. In other words, rude people, people who think they're better than others, people who are know-it-alls, people who raise their kids poorly, people who don't follow societal rules because they are full of self-importance, loud talkers, cell phone abusers, bad drivers, people who don't shower, people who wear too much perfume/cologne, pessimists.

I told you I was sorry.

HeronW
07-12-2008, 02:46 AM
Those idjits on motorscooters who think that the dotted line is their lane--that is when they aren't weaving around every damned car to save 3 seconds getting to whereverthehell they're going. As they say here: The graveyard is thataway.

TerzaRima
07-12-2008, 02:52 AM
Those same idiots always are helmetless, and I'm sure would argue that wearing one is a personal choice. Shyeah, but can your personal wallet cover your multimillion-dollar ER/ICU/rehab unit stays/ profoundly changed life?

I like this thread. I have to be pretty chipper and smiling in my real life, so it's nice to reveal my small, shrivelled black heart to someone.

SpookyWriter
07-12-2008, 03:07 AM
I told you I was sorry.Insincere people.

SherryTex
07-12-2008, 04:01 AM
Phone trees. I think they're an alien invention to drive people insane.

calls at 6 pm from people who only wish to speak with my husband when I know it's a cold call about a charity or political organization. Run by zombies who can't think for themselves.

car salesmen and women. Can't abide more than ten minutes in their presence. Worse than vampiric werewolve zombie alien invaders.

People who rave about shopping at Costco...I bought 20 lbs. of Rice for 5.99...you'll have weevils before you finish the bag. Unless you feed it to the vampiric werewolve zombie alien invaders.

People who write me off because I'm a Stay at Home Mom. They see the kids. Their eyes glaze over. They back away slowly. It's like they think I'm contagious. Watch out or I'll turn you into one of my vampiric mutant zombie werewolve minions...

People who trumpet their politics as though any alternatives to their way of thinking is beneath contempt.

SpookyWriter
07-12-2008, 04:04 AM
Plumbers who wear thongs.

dgiharris
07-12-2008, 04:06 AM
Another thing that drives me crazy is people's insistent to force you to eat food you don't like, especially when they know that you don't like it.

I hate pecans. Always have, always will. Everyone at work knows I hate pecans.

I coworker made pecan pie and brought it in. She offered everyone a piece and I said, "No thanks, I don't like pecans"

So then she starts pushing, "This pie is a family recipe you are going to love it, I caramel baste the pecans and fire roast them right before dipping them in liquid gold...."

I smile again and say, "Tthanks, it looks great, i wish I loved pecans, but I don't."

Of course, she cuts me a piece and hands it to me, "Just one little bite"

So now everyone is staring, so I take the piece of pie, force one piece down my neck then take the remainder of the pie to my cube.

Later she comes by, "You didn't like the pie did you?"

I tell her the truth, that it was the best pecan pie I ever had, but she keeps digging, not letting me be polite until I have to confess that I didn't like it.

Again, I explain that its not the pie, that I just don't like pecans, so there there is no way i'm going to like a pecan pie. She walks away, hurt.

Why do people always think that if you don't like a certain type of food, that you will magically like it when they cook it for you?

Joycecwilliams
07-12-2008, 04:11 AM
Okay, this really pisses me off and I'm glad there's a thread available to vent because if this keeps up you may see old D.G. on the news for beating some guy to death for staring or making rude remarks toward my wife. Let me explain, If any of you have read anything I posted on this site in the last year, with the exception of some serious stuff, you know that I look for humor in most situations because I live by the belief that we all take ourselves way to seriously and need to have fun poked at us once in a while. BUT... This one thing is driving me nuts. My wife an i love tennis, you may remember that my wife is 20 years my junior and quite frankly she has a great figure, nice legs and pretty the whole deal, We can go to parties and she can flirt with guys and I tease right along with the best of them, but when we go to a park and play tennis we always have some Jack off either drive by, or in some cases stop and get out of there car and gawk at her in her tennis outfit, just the skirt and top, or shorts, and this week I almost killed a guy because of what he did. He walks past the court, then walks back and stops and starts to stare, then gets on his cell phone still gawking at her, when finally I stopped the game and asked WTF he was looking at? He got all embarrassed and left but I'm telling you guys I damn near hit him with the racket... Its like hey take a quick look if you have too, but then move on... I had to vent... sorry if you think I'm nuts... It's just this thing,,,, Hope you understand..

I don't think your nuts. You are the wise Don Allen. :) That guy was probably trying to take pictures with his cell phone..

You're okay in my book.

Silver King
07-12-2008, 04:29 AM
Age discrimination. It's not illegal. People get fired because they are middle aged.
Um, age discrimination is illegal in the US on a federal level, and most states have additional laws that protect employees.

My worst pet peeve has to do with boating. I spend a lot of time on the water and see folks needlessly risk the lives of their passengers all the time. Small children aren't wearing life vests; boaters speeding and/or driving recklessly; people who believe that once they've left dry land, "the rules of the road" don't apply on the water, and they become a menace to every other boat within range of their careening, wave jumping, hull slapping vessels.

Also, a special nod goes out to those boaters who insist on steering as close to my vessel as possible while I'm fishing. Maybe they're curious. Or maybe they're stupid. Or perhaps they just don't give a damn. Either way, they have an entire body of water to navigate, usually the ENTIRE Gulf of Mexico, to go around me; but they insist on cruising by at arm's length even though I'm standing on deck holding a fishing rod pointed in their direction. And it doesn't matter whether I have a fish on at the time, and my rod is bent in half, and there really is no question what I'm up to. They'll just cruise right on by, within spitting range, as if I were an apparition that doesn't exist.

I used to get angry at other boaters, but it's not worth the expended energy anymore. Even a head shake isn't worth the effort. Someone ran over my line recently, and I lost a good fish. My friend commented that I seemed subdued, as if what happened didn't bother me. I was going to explain to him that I've lost all hope for common courtesy while on the water, but even that wasn't worth the effort. Instead, I put up our gear and headed home, cutting short what should have been an enjoyable fishing trip.

Alan Yee
07-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Intolerance. Intolerant people who "defend" their intolerance by accusing you of being intolerant for not tolerating their intolerance.

Spoiled rotten bratty kids who scream and run around messing things up, and their parents who either don't scold them as strongly as they should or otherwise preen and say just how adorable/cute they are for being little monsters.

People who cause businesses, companies, schools, other establishments, etc., to make stupid restrictions and/or bans just because they or their innocent little angels got injured while doing something stupid.

People who use religious dogma to influence American laws. When confronted with the radical concepts of "Separation of Church and State" and "OMG First Amendment", they say it's still okay because The Founding Fathers Were Religious, So They Didn't Really Mean That.

People. Who walk. Really. Slow. While walking and talking in a line shoulder-to-shoulder with 3 or 4 similarly slow friends, forming a huge moving brick wall so that it is impossible to just walk around them most of the time at school.

People who talk really loud on their cell phones.

People who send text messages and yap away on their cell phones while driving. Not coincidentally, these people tend to be (but not always) lousy drivers and don't pay close attention to the road. If it weren't for the fact that they might crash into me or some other person, I might wish they would just crash and remove themselves from the human gene pool.

People who insist on EVERYONE needing to reproduce as the world's population continues to increase to painful proportions. Come on, it's not like we need to have 3 or 4 copies of some people when we can hardly stand one of the originals.

...I think that's enough for now.

SPMiller
07-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Evangelists. People who want to talk about religion (with me this leads to utter disaster). People who are tolerant in public and bigoted in private. Hypocrites. Conspicuous displays of wealth. Conspicuous displays of poverty. Conspicuous displays of middle-classedness.

Joycecwilliams
07-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Age discrimination may be illegal, but you better believes it happens. It is hard to prove, but prevalent.

Write4U2
07-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Oh! Did I mention "outsourcing?" Taking jobs away from Americans and outsourcing to other countries to save a buck? I think it's really to save on paying income taxes for employees to the US GOV.

Jersey Chick
07-12-2008, 09:00 AM
This may betray a big honking class bias but:

Skeevy, trashy clothes on children. This includes teeny glittery t shirts bearing such age-appropriate, adorable legends as Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me? and Sexy Lady! I don't want to see your sweet little kindergartener in a leopard mini and plastic high heels, troglodyte ahead of me in line at Target.
I HATE this stuff! I take my 7 year old shopping and for every one outfit I approve, I've told her no for about thirty others. I hate seeing little girls dressed like effing 42nd Street hookers. Hate, hate hate it! Grr...

Also, I respect your choice not to have cable, but you lose points for working it into the conversation at every turn What about the person who thinks you're from Mars because you've never seen an episode of The Sopranos or Sex and the City? We have cable, but none of the premium channels (427 channels - showing the same 3 movies) and the number of people who are astounded that not only have I not seen either of these shows, I don't care that I haven't seen them. Double grrr...

The way you tend to dwell on your kids as hip accessories is the final irksome bit of douchebaggery. If I see one more Soundgarden onesie, I'm going to lose it. Our ironic Gen X childhoods are over, people. Not only is douchebaggery the word of the day, but on Saturdays, the 'Today' section has a section on "cool" baby clothes, and the ones they show make me want to throw something... They aren't tote bags, for the love of all that is holy - they're babies!

whew... i need a nap now...

Write4U2
07-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Plumbers who wear thongs.

Ouch! Spooky, that mental picture hurt my eyes.:cry:

willfulone
07-12-2008, 09:14 AM
People who will not accept a polite no by asking "Why Not?" (I am not talking kids wanting to go to Mickey D's and getting no, thus ask why not. I am talking about people asking for a favor, getting a no, then asking "Why not?").

I'll tell you why:

None of your flipping business. I said "no" (politely), that is that. You knowing the details will not change anything. My "no" tells you that I have something else (even if it is sitting on the couch with Ben & Jerry's scratching my ass) to do, or I would have said "yes". Why do I have to give you details and get your approval that YOU find it worthy before I have the right to say "no" to your request? You can wait, but I ain't 'splaining myself, I don't have to. I will not apologize if you find it offensive that I do not offer an explaination. I will not be bothered if you get angry. I will be off doing what I think is important.

If you must really have a reason, think on it this way:

I am not saying "no" to you. I am saying "yes" to me.

Selfish? Maybe. But, life is too short to make others happy at the expense of my own happiness.

SPMiller
07-12-2008, 10:03 AM
What about the person who thinks you're from Mars because you've never seen an episode of The Sopranos or Sex and the City? We have cable, but none of the premium channels (427 channels - showing the same 3 movies) and the number of people who are astounded that not only have I not seen either of these shows, I don't care that I haven't seen them. Double grrr...Please add Lost to this list. Thank you.

Well, except that I have seen one episode and I thought it was completely ridiculous.

Melenka
07-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Most of the people who are called into my office to explain why they thought it was okay to be a racist, homophobic, ageist, sexist, or otherwise bigoted f*ck. There's a reason I'm not the boss. He's a better person than I am. I am still exceedingly polite to all those people because that's part of my job. I just find them reprehensible.

The ignorance about the Constitution that leads to accepting the systematic stripping of our rights.

The fact that major news media refuse to use the word "rape" when reporting about sexual assault. There is no such thing as "having sex with a child." Someone who forces themselves sexually on another individual is a rapist. People who are not conscious cannot consent and therefore having sex with them is rape. How friggin' difficult is this to figure out??

People over the age of 30 who blame their parents for how their lives turned out. Yes, parents do horrible things that can really screw you up - and most of our parents did, on some level, often without realizing it. But at some point, you have to deal with those issues and decide to become the person you want to be.

Zealots.

Inky
07-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Thongs.
More specifically, thongs on a fat chick...squatting at the grocery store...thong riding up her back...it's like gazing at 3 bags of marshmallows stuffed into a sandwich baggie.

Thongs.
More specifically, thongs on an skinny chick...walking around...dress caught up in the crack of her ass....guess she has so much going on up there already, what's one more piece of material?

The assumption that I stole 'a good brothuh'. Get over it. He's been mine for 20 years. He was poor as piss when I met him. None of you bitches noticed him then, don't start paying attention to him now just because he's worked his ass off and acquired the material toys that come with good ole' fashioned hard work.

The Jr. Misses clothing department. I'd like to shoot the store's buyer. Why do they assume ALL mothers want to dress their daughters like skanks? My daughter isn't interested in her navel showing. She doesn't want tight shirts across the chest with DIVING cleavage displayed. She's not interested in wearing a slogan across her ass that says 'Hot' or 'Not Yours' when it should say 'Mom Will Kill You' or 'Your Coffin'!
We have to shop in the boys department just so she can have a good old fashioned t-shirt, minus the tit-display.

The assumption that because I'm home all day, I MUST want to watch you children.
For the safety of your heathens....this is NOT a good idea. For the safety of YOURSELF...it's best if you DON'T approach me with this question.

The assumption that because my daughter's a teenager, she's interested in being your nanny...then having the balls to get upset because she politely declines to babysit for you.

That Maestro doesn't rep me anymore.

Inky
07-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Please add Lost to this list. Thank you.

Well, except that I have seen one episode and I thought it was completely ridiculous.
While you're at it, please ALSO add Grey's Anatomy. Don't care to see it. No, I'm NOT going to buy any of the COMPLETE seasons...

oh.....oh oh oh oh oh...
and--drum roll--DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.....

I actually had someone think they were doing me a favor by sending me the first season of this madness.

We're no longer speaking. :e2file:

Inkdaub
07-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I also hate the line-cutting. I don't mind the extra wait but I seethe at anyone who thinks they don't also have to wait.

I hate people who think that if you don't agree with them then you don't understand or 'get it'. This is usually due to people trying to sound smart.

People who confuse negativity for intelligence.

Management that doesn't stay out of my way and let me do my job.

Predatory practices of banks in regards to overdrafts.

The number one way to make me see red is to shit-talk my dog. He is small and yes he might bark a couple times at you. But I love my dog..shit talk him at your peril.

maestrowork
07-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Negative people. Constant complaints and criticism. Flip-floppers: seem to like something one second and hate it the next. Everything turns into "I'm too smart/sophisticated/have too much taste for this." They really do zap the energy out of everything.

sheadakota
07-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Those same idiots always are helmetless, and I'm sure would argue that wearing one is a personal choice. Shyeah, but can your personal wallet cover your multimillion-dollar ER/ICU/rehab unit stays/ profoundly changed life?

I like this thread. I have to be pretty chipper and smiling in my real life, so it's nice to reveal my small, shrivelled black heart to someone.
On the same note- how about people who weigh freaking 600 pounds who (Gasp) get sick to the point of nearly being dead and then are shocked- neigh- outraged- when told that we can't fix them and their medical problems are of their own doing- we had one family of a dearly departed loved one try to sue us because apparently it was our fault the guy developed leg ulcers he didn't know he had because he couldn't see his frigging legs- got septic and yeah- DIED! How shocking!

Oh I also find brand new graduate nurses, who haven't even passed their boards yet, But think they already know everything (No, sweety, you can't run fluids through an arterial line) I find them not only offensive, but dangerous-

Managers who use the advice of their little head to make hiring decisions-Cute? perky boobs? no experience? who cares- you're hot- you're hired!

Hey I feel better now- thanks-I can go to work now-

Inky
07-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Public pools dominators.
My daughter and I keep moving away...while daddy thinks he's king of the pool, pulling little tiny-tot around the pool, teaching him to kick his legs....mindless that as all of us keep moving out of the way, this is NOT a sign it's okay to widen your perimeter.
YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE IN THE BLOODY POOL.

I finally broke and had to say something. "Look, we keep moving to accommodate you, but instead of sharing the pool, you take our good manners as a sign that you can take over the entire shallow end."

So then he goes over and whispers to wifey.

Wifey plops into pool...waddles towards me...'You got somethin' to say to my husband, you say it to me.'

'Okay. He's rude. He lacks consideration for other patrons using the pool. And could you introduce him to Nair? I'm rather sickened that Sasquatch is now shedding in the pool. Are we savvy?'

I was really hoping she'd respond. I was in the mood to drown someone. She gasped. Then swam/walked back over to him, mumbled something to which he nodded. Apparently she roped him in because he ceased cutting in front of people doing laps, and made his circle quite a bit smaller.

Barbies who assume the lifeguards wanna check 'em out, so they stand dead center in front of them until the lifeguard finally asks them to step aside.

Two-ton women wearing a thong while tanning...two ton men wearing Speedos...

maestrowork
07-12-2008, 02:18 PM
men wearing Speedos...

Hey!

Barbies who assume the lifeguards wanna check 'em out, so they stand dead center in front of them until the lifeguard finally asks them to step aside.

Little did they know the lifeguard is checking out the men in speedos.

GeorgieB
07-12-2008, 05:52 PM
roman numerals.

especially III

Yeah, that's bad. But XLII is worse.

Don Allen
07-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Thongs.
More specifically, thongs on a fat chick...squatting at the grocery store...thong riding up her back...it's like gazing at 3 bags of marshmallows stuffed into a sandwich baggie.

Thongs.
More specifically, thongs on an skinny chick...walking around...dress caught up in the crack of her ass....guess she has so much going on up there already, what's one more piece of material?

The assumption that I stole 'a good brothuh'. Get over it. He's been mine for 20 years. He was poor as piss when I met him. None of you bitches noticed him then, don't start paying attention to him now just because he's worked his ass off and acquired the material toys that come with good ole' fashioned hard work.

The Jr. Misses clothing department. I'd like to shoot the store's buyer. Why do they assume ALL mothers want to dress their daughters like skanks? My daughter isn't interested in her navel showing. She doesn't want tight shirts across the chest with DIVING cleavage displayed. She's not interested in wearing a slogan across her ass that says 'Hot' or 'Not Yours' when it should say 'Mom Will Kill You' or 'Your Coffin'!
We have to shop in the boys department just so she can have a good old fashioned t-shirt, minus the tit-display.

The assumption that because I'm home all day, I MUST want to watch you children.
For the safety of your heathens....this is NOT a good idea. For the safety of YOURSELF...it's best if you DON'T approach me with this question.

The assumption that because my daughter's a teenager, she's interested in being your nanny...then having the balls to get upset because she politely declines to babysit for you.

That Maestro doesn't rep me anymore.

I must add to the issue of thongs.....

For the record.....

Thongs pulled up below the breast bone are unattractive....
Thongs hanging out of a ladies (term used loosely) tight black slacks are unattractive.
Thongs seen disappearing into a ladies butt crack when she bends over in a short dress (Most ladies who do this way in excess of 200lbs.) gives me nightmares.
Standing behind a lady who has just purchased ten different colored thongs and not one pair of panties makes me believe her she hasn't used toliet paper in years and that just grosses me out.... Sorry again for sharing....

Don Allen
07-12-2008, 06:05 PM
....And what the hell is it with SPEEDOS...Nobody ever. ever, ever..... has looked like anything more than a perverted freak in speedo's.... (except for Ray of course)

Jersey Chick
07-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Gah. The SPEEDO - :scared:
What twisted sick puppy thought that would be a good idea??

She_wulf
07-12-2008, 07:06 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00685/jim-carrey-404a_685133c.jpg
There simply are no words I can put here....

Inky
07-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Notice washboard stomach? Hard-lined thighs? THIS is the ONLY time you're ALLOWED!

Ooooh, what I wouldn't give to be black fabric....

http://bp2.blogger.com/_RWOnrKFYUwQ/R0HD0cEybEI/AAAAAAAAL3Y/mkdFkzQzKAg/s400/RafaelVerga49.jpg

JoeEkaitis
07-12-2008, 07:54 PM
The arrogant hypocrisy of prejudice and discrimination masquerading as equality and diversity.

TerzaRima
07-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Everything turns into "I'm too smart/sophisticated/have too much taste for this." They really do zap the energy out of everything.

squirms uncomfortably, looks at feet

moderan
07-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Militant nonsmokers. Religious proselytizers who won't take no for an answer. People who babytalk to their animals. Folks who think that their half of the road straddles the line. Those nitwits who insist on holding conversations in front of the exit so you can't get in or out. Zealots and fanatics of all stripes. People who insist that they're right because they're louder. The people who refuse to use spellcheck and are proud of their lack of skill with letters. Perky people before ten ayem. Barney. Teletubbies. A&E turning into the true crime network. Feminine hygiene product, erectile difficulty product, and prescription drug commercials. Better stop there:)

Summonere
07-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Theme/mood music for news reports.

Devil Ledbetter
07-12-2008, 09:02 PM
People who are constantly looking for opportunities to take offense.

Jersey Chick
07-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Notice washboard stomach? Hard-lined thighs? THIS is the ONLY time you're ALLOWED!

Ooooh, what I wouldn't give to be black fabric....

http://bp2.blogger.com/_RWOnrKFYUwQ/R0HD0cEybEI/AAAAAAAAL3Y/mkdFkzQzKAg/s400/RafaelVerga49.jpg

This still gives me the heebie jeebies - put him in boxer briefs, and I'd wrestle for him :D

maestrowork
07-13-2008, 03:42 AM
....And what the hell is it with SPEEDOS...Nobody ever. ever, ever..... has looked like anything more than a perverted freak in speedo's.... (except for Ray of course)

Refer to my profile picture.

maestrowork
07-13-2008, 03:45 AM
So why do children have a tendency to scream? Even at each other when they're like, one feet apart. And they love to splash, oh, don't they, even if there are like 10 strangers around them. What's with a little splash in your face -- at least the children (although they're not yours) are happy.

Devil Ledbetter
07-13-2008, 03:55 AM
So why do children have a tendency to scream? Even at each other when they're like, one feet apart. And they love to splash, oh, don't they, even if there are like 10 strangers around them. What's with a little splash in your face -- at least the children (although they're not yours) are happy.Ray, they are screaming because of your Speedo. Strangers in Speedos make them scream and splash. It's a defensive reflex.

I have it, too.

Write4U2
07-13-2008, 05:19 AM
Ray, they are screaming because of your Speedo. Strangers in Speedos make them scream and splash. It's a defensive reflex.

I have it, too.

Hahahahah...hahahahaaaa.... :roll: Hahahahah...hahahahaaaa....:ROFL: Hahahahah...hahahahaaaa.... :ROFL: Hahahahah...hahahahaaaa....:roll: ooohhh...chuckle...snort...ahh.

maestrowork
07-13-2008, 05:59 AM
Wait until they see me naked.

That's another thing. Who brings their little daughter (five years old, maybe) into the men's locker room? Those poor naked men, nowhere to hide...

dgiharris
07-13-2008, 06:11 AM
Theme/mood music for news reports.

News reports that go back and forth from 'cutesy' to 'tragedy'

I can't stand the anchors smiling one minute, talking grave the next, then smiley/happy the next instant.

4 men died, trapped in a coal mine leaving behind 9 kids and 4 wives-- this kitten was stuck up a tree until firefighters rescued him, isn't that cute--tragically Elaine Thorn was found dead after being raped and stabbed in her home last night--The Rose Day parade is tomorrow so get out your sunniest outfit...

ugg, just bad taste.

Mel....

Silver King
07-13-2008, 06:13 AM
Age discrimination may be illegal, but you better believes it happens. It is hard to prove, but prevalent.
Without a doubt. It's pretty much the same for most forms of discrimination, whereas it takes enough people to stand up and cry foul before change takes place for the better.

And it's not only age, but just about any personal question that can be construed as discriminatory. Such as:

What nationality are you?

Are you married?

Are you single?

Are you divorced?

Are you gay?

How old are you?

Are you pregnant?

Do you have children?

Do you plan on having children?

How old are your children?

And the list goes on and on. The point is, employers in the US are bound by federal and state laws to avoid discrimination during hiring practices. But do they?

Fuck, no.

Inky
07-13-2008, 01:06 PM
You forgot:
do you fish?

Do you become resentful if someone sidles their boat too close to yours while you're fishing?

Write4U2
07-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Doctors. Frikkin' doctors.

Come in at 3:00 for an appointment.

Fill out a ton of stupid paperwork. Again.

Sit in the waiting room for an hour.

Get called into the dum-de-dum-dum ...I-n-n-e-r S-a-n-c-t-u-m, get weighed (one of my most pettish peeves) wait another half-goddam-hour for the doctor to fly in, talk like his pants are on fire, tell you your heart is bad and you have a rash on your brain the size of New York City, and he's sending you to a specialist. All I wanted was a new prescription for my meds.

You go to the specialist, which cost a bloody arm and leg, and the specialist says, "Huh?" There's nothing wrong with your heart and brain, he tells you (except they're too small and not used), so you say, "Huh?"

Frikkin' doctors.

maestrowork
07-13-2008, 06:47 PM
People who tell gallows jokes when someone dies or a tragic, fatal event (such as 9/11 or a the space shuttle exploded) happens.

Women who diss me because of my race.

JoeEkaitis
07-13-2008, 07:05 PM
When publishers line up with 7-figure advances any time a crooked politician, convicted felon or airhead celebrity blurts out "I rilly think it'd be kinda cool to do a children's book," followed by the obligatory reviews in all the library magazines.

maestrowork
07-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Without a doubt. It's pretty much the same for most forms of discrimination, whereas it takes enough people to stand up and cry foul before change takes place for the better.

And it's not only age, but just about any personal question that can be construed as discriminatory. Such as:

What nationality are you?

Are you married?

Are you single?

Are you divorced?

Are you gay?

How old are you?

Are you pregnant?

Do you have children?

Do you plan on having children?

How old are your children?

And the list goes on and on. The point is, employers in the US are bound by federal and state laws to avoid discrimination during hiring practices. But do they?

Fuck, no.

Right on. It's illegal to ask personal questions at job interviews, but I'm surprised at how many employers do, and they don't get into trouble for doing so. Amazing.

Like, what do you care if I'm married with children or gay, whether I'm Chinese or Japanese, or whether I'm 28 or 45? What does it have to do with my ability to do the job?

Fern
07-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I find it offensive when someone asks me a question, then cuts me off and is on to something else before I have uttered one full sentence in reply.

I find the entire "politically correct" movement highly offensive, at least the vast extremes we're subjected to the last few years. My one writing motto is to be as un-PC as possible, if only for my own sanity.

Ditto on this comment.

SpookyWriter
07-13-2008, 08:23 PM
False advertisements.

http://content.yieldmanager.edgesuite.net/atoms/9a/a8/9aa86d9f9168ddd0c3813a4f4a563035.gif (http://ad.yieldmanager.com/click,VaUDAEpxBQC7SwYA90MCAAIAPTgAAP8AAAABEgIAIQOM rgEAkFwFABKXAwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMcrekgAAA AA,http%3A%2F%2Fus.ard.yahoo.com%2FSIG%3D14v8tgv8k %2FM%3D674272.12804846.13083738.11209823%2FD%3Dmai l%2FS%3D150550010%3AMON%2FY%3DYAHOO%2FEXP%3D121597 3351%2FL%3DmdqVQdG_VnLYvopeSGUrRgABT2Flakh6K8cABbQ S%2FB%3Dz72kGdG_RuE-%2FJ%3D1215966151406193%2FA%3D5404712%2FR%3D0%2F%2 A%24,http%3A%2F%2Fus.f824.mail.yahoo.com%2Ffc%2Ffc %3Fl%3Dmon%2Csc1%3A%21fchandoff%2Csc2%3A%21fchando ff%2Cmnw%3A%21fchandoff%2Csw1%3A%21fchandoff%2Csw2 %3A%21fchandoff%2Csw3%3A%21fchandoff%26cbk%3Dfcloa ded%26f%3D150550010%26p%3Dmail_candygram%26id%3D10 %26bg%3Dffffff%26tgt%3D_blank%26hs%3D2%26en%3Diso-8859-1%26em%3D%257b%2522site-attribute%2522%253a%2522con,)

nerds
07-13-2008, 08:33 PM
There isn't a lot that offends me; I'm far more likely to feel offended for somebody else e.g. Ray's mention above of being dissed by women over race (crikey). Those sorts of things upset me.

Somebody told me once that she found the sight of my bare feet horrifying, which didn't offend me because they are in fact scary to behold, they're quite deformed by bone problems. I'm not easily ruffled by much directed at me, maybe I'm just too old to give a shit at this point.

I guess for myself it's confined to patronization. If I feel I'm being patronized or condescended to, that does burn me up. Had a good example yesterday at the outdoor nursery where I work. We like to keep the place looking sharp, and one part of that is sweeping up assorted tree debris, leaf fall, miscellaneous crap that customers drop as they're strolling around (ice cream wrappers etc.), and so on. I'm sweeping away, all sweaty and hot and dirty, and enter stage right a yuuuuge Cadillac Escalade.

Out jumps a thirty-something guy, expensively dressed, jawing away on his I-phone. He was just dripping, oozing, masticating $$$$$$$$$$$ as he marched up to me.

He tears himself away from the phone, looks me dirty self up and down, and says "Hey!"

"How may I help you?"

"I've just put in a Gunite pool."

"Okay."

"Gunite. G-U-N-I-T-E."

"Yup, I do know what those are. Are you looking for landscaping?"

"I want to know what you have. I want to landscape everything."

"Well, it's July, which is the worst possible time to install landscaping, and you really should draw up a garden plan on paper first for such a big project. Plus, what kind of fill did they dump in your yard when the pool was finished?"

"Listen, I had trucks and trucks of loam, okay?"

"But have you picked up a handful and looked at it?"

"WHAT?"

"It probably wasn't loam, it was fill, which is not the same. Usually fill is compromised in some way. You want it to look like chocolate cake, ideally. If it doesn't, you might spend a fortune on a ton of plants which end up failing. Good idea to know what you're planting in."

"Jesus Christ. You're just a sweeper. Just show me what you have."

This interrupted by a phone call from some poor work minion of his, who was treated quite rudely by him. I walked away and commenced sweeping, when he clearly expected me to stand around and wait. He walked around the nursery briefly.

"This all you have?"

"It's July. Things are pretty much sold at this point."

"Oh. Cool. Yeah. Sorry you wasted my time."

And off he zoomed in his Escalade.

Not that any of it was a big deal, it wasn't. But arrogance and superior attitude do offend me.

Jersey Chick
07-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Back when my daughter was an only child, people would constantly ask, "So, when are you going to have another baby?" Or "Why don't you have another baby?" Or "You really should have another baby."

Why do you care how many kids I have? And since when did you get the job of deciding it for me?

People who talk down or patronize because I chose to be a stay at home mom. I love the looks on their faces when they find out that I actually do more than sit on the sofa, watching soaps, eating bon-bons. Priceless.

nerds
07-13-2008, 08:53 PM
People who talk down or patronize because I chose to be a stay at home mom. I love the looks on their faces when they find out that I actually do more than sit on the sofa, watching soaps, eating bon-bons. Priceless.

Oh my gosh, I've been a single working stiff for so long now I forget that I was once June Cleaver for a brief happy wondrous wrinkle in time. I got that too, all the time, omg. I'd forgotten. Really pissed me off. I always got it from women, never from men, never once, and it always seemed to come out of left field.

SpookyWriter
07-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Oh my gosh, I've been a single working stiff for so long now I forget that I was once June Cleaver for a brief happy wondrous wrinkle in time. I got that too, all the time, omg. I'd forgotten. Really pissed me off. I always got it from women, never from men, never once, and it always seemed to come out of left field.Yeah, but the last I heard June Cleaver was locked up in an insane asylum until her death muttering the words “But Beaver wasn’t my fault.” Over and over again.

nerds
07-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah, but the last I heard June Cleaver was locked up in an insane asylum until her death muttering the words “But Beaver wasn’t my fault.” Over and over again.

:Hug2:

Jersey Chick
07-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Nah... Mrs. C went on to speak jive, 'member ;)

SpookyWriter
07-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Nah... Mrs. C went on to speak jive, 'member ;)She was the first person ever to lisp sing "Thriller".

Jersey Chick
07-13-2008, 09:52 PM

dageezer
07-13-2008, 10:26 PM
MLMer's that think they're gonna get rich by doing nothing.

(I guess that falls under the really stupid people catagory)

Inky
07-13-2008, 10:36 PM
People who tell gallows jokes when someone dies or a tragic, fatal event (such as 9/11 or a the space shuttle exploded) happens.

Women who diss me because of my race.

Trust me, there's a WHOLE LOTTA women who would BEAT those bitches down.

We got your back....nevermind that we're checkin' OUT your back....er...backside....but we'ze gots it!

Kryianna
07-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Deliberate stupidity. The lengths that people will go to be ignorant of something astounds me.

SpookyWriter
07-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Deliberate stupidity. The lengths that people will go to be ignorant of something astounds me.What are you talking about?

rhymegirl
07-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Please add Lost to this list. Thank you.

Whaaaat! That's it. I'm offended. :)

Melenka
07-14-2008, 12:18 AM
The point is, employers in the US are bound by federal and state laws to avoid discrimination during hiring practices. But do they?

Fuck, no.

If they all did, I would have to find a different line of work - and I would be thrilled. Then again, people are still going to say and do things to create a hostile environment for someone else (but they didn't mean it that way, really!) so I suppose I've got job security for the rest of my life.

Write4U2
07-14-2008, 01:58 AM
I find it offensive when someone asks me a question, then cuts me off and is on to something else before I have uttered one full sentence in reply.

Ditto on this comment X 1,000,000

{{shudder}}

SpookyWriter
07-14-2008, 02:05 AM
Ditto on this comment X 1,000,000

{{shudder}}So anyway, my friend got caught at the store lifting candy and was taken into the back room by some moose of a guy. He didn't hear a word she was saying the whole time. No, he was too interested in his own personal problems. Bastid.

Write4U2
07-14-2008, 03:22 AM
So anyway, my friend got caught at the store lifting candy and was taken into the back room by some moose of a guy. He didn't hear a word she was saying the whole time. No, he was too interested in his own personal problems. Bastid.

Oh, no. Your friend is diabetic? Did he keep interrupting your friend when he tried to explain it was an emergency?

Oh, wait! I misunderstood. Your friend is the girl. She tried to tell moose that she needed the candy for *.* and the bastid didn't listen to her!

Moose IS a bastid. With personal problems.

Awful.

Danger Jane
07-14-2008, 03:39 AM
I dunno, I try hard to avoid even thinking "That is offensive" or "That offended me." I don't like dealing with jerkwads, but even I'm driving and someone has just cut me off then slowed down to ten mph below the speed limit...I start feeling guilty for being annoyed. Sometimes I pull jerk moves when I'm driving, although I try not to. Sometimes I cut in front of people only to realize that had I let them pass, I would still have been able to pull out. And sometimes, when my arms really hurt, my car drifts between the gutter and the center line. So maybe they weren't thinking, or had a screaming toddler in the backseat, or their arms hurt.

It's the same with kids. I can't get pissed at a screaming kid on a plane because I've been the frazzled (cousin) trying to make him stop screaming and stop offering crayons to the lady in the seat behind. Probably the kids are normally good, just hungry or tired or whatever.

It makes me feel bleh to think too much about the asshole move somebody just pulled on me. So I don't.

(Although that idiot who almost T-boned me three days ago, a maneuver which would have destroyed the right side of my car with the cast-iron front of his 1974 Lincoln Continental, still rankles me. Fucker kept on driving straight across the street when I swerved and whaled on the horn. Didn't even notice.)

TerzaRima
07-14-2008, 06:54 AM
wait another half-goddam-hour for the doctor to fly in, talk like his pants are on fire

Write4, my massage therapist was running late that day, what can I tell you?

Izunya
07-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Hmm, this thread seems to include a fairly comprehensive list of Discrimination Sucks) peeves. I guess I won't repeat what everyone else has said, but I'd like to add one: people who are prejudiced by appearance.

Like, being fat. I'm fat (which is another pet peeve, come to think of it). I don't wear thongs and I don't wear Speedos. Heck, I don't even wear shorts. But I should be able to put on a sober one-piece bathing suit and go to the pool and swim laps without some dumb teenager making meant-to-be-overheard remarks about how gross fat people are. How else am I supposed to get thinner?

Or the one I really don't understand—the professor who told me that if I really wanted to be a teacher, I would cut my hair. And that not cutting it showed I wasn't "really serious." Okay, I understand the danger of lice, and I found a way to put my hair up so that I wasn't at risk. The professor agreed that the style would work—but still insisted that a "real" teacher would cut her hair. WTF?

(Actually, that particular semester was pretty much Coping With Insane Supervisors 101. I ask one of my students what she's doing loitering in the hallway—I get screamed at for talking to a student who's being punished. Apparently I am insolent, grossly disrespectful to my elders and betters, unpatriotic (um . . . what?), unemployable, and entirely unfit to work with children—but I passed the course with an A. And got hired. And did pretty well for three years until illness forced me to quit. After a lot of soul-searching, I concluded that someone was off her meds. And it wasn't me.)

Okay, so let's add to the list: supervisors and/or professors who are apparently on crack.

Izunya

Melenka
07-14-2008, 11:22 PM
We don't have a policy regarding weight discrimination, but I'm hoping we get one soon. The media feeds the irrational hate towards fat people, often misrepresenting scientific studies that show (surprise!) that heavier old people get sick less often and less severely, that people can be extremely physically active yet never get thin, and that - by and large - underweight people have higher medical costs than overweight people. Which is why the underweight would also benefit from a policy that forbids weight discrimination. The pendulum can swing the other way pretty fast.

BTW, all you had to do to get the prof to STFU about your hair was to tell him there was a religious or cultural prohibition against cutting it.

SpookyWriter
07-14-2008, 11:25 PM
...underweight people have higher medical costs than overweight people.Are there underweight people in America?

TerzaRima
07-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Precious and few.

maestrowork
07-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Are there underweight people in America?

I used to be, now I'm just perfect.

;)

TerzaRima
07-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Coworkers, I think it's great that you have active and inventive sex lives; could you please refrain from oversharing about them? Nurse Freaky, "offensive" isn't really the word I'd use to describe the sensation I get when hearing about the, mmm, ahhh, blergggh, marital aids that you and Mr Freaky use when making sweet, sweet love; it's more the intense desire to shake my brain in a vigorous purge like an Etch-a-Sketch.

Some things really don't need to be shared with the rest of the class.

SpookyWriter
07-15-2008, 12:30 AM

;)I can't believe that.

Mr Flibble
07-15-2008, 12:35 AM
when hearing about the, mmm, ahhh, blergggh, marital aids that you and Mr Freaky use when making sweet, sweet love;

My mate's wife does that all the bloody time. I've got her to stop by sticking my fingers in my ears and singing 'la la la, I don't need to know that' followed by retching noises.

Izunya
07-15-2008, 03:04 AM
BTW, all you had to do to get the prof to STFU about your hair was to tell him there was a religious or cultural prohibition against cutting it.

Good idea, but—unfortunately, no. Not in East Tennessee and not with that prof. If she was willing to consider me unpatriotic because the single political bumper sticker on my car didn't match her preferences, I was not going to let on that my church is anything other than American Standard Christianity. (We were close enough to the "Big City"—Knoxville, which really isn't—that she might know who the Unitarian Universalists actually are. Otherwise I might have tried to convince her that they were just another flavor of Baptist—I did that once, and without telling any outright lies, although I might possibly have left out some information . . .)

And, of course, there's one other crucial reason why I didn't try the religious angle. I, um, didn't exactly think of it at the time.

Izunya

maestrowork
07-15-2008, 03:59 AM
I can't believe that.

Which? That I was once underweight, or that I'm now perfect?

;)

nerds
07-15-2008, 04:35 AM
Are there underweight people in America?

There's me. :hi: 5-5 and 108 pounds, does that count? I feel underweight, and a few of my bones stick out, so I guess. Can't put weight on.

My son's 5-7 and 120, one of my brothers is 5-11 and 145, another 5-10 and 140. And I have a sister 5', 90 lbs. We're a pretty skinny bunch.

maestrowork
07-15-2008, 05:19 AM
We need to send care packages to NerdsRus's house.

;)

She_wulf
07-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Which? That I was once underweight, or that I'm now perfect?

;)
Hum...Can we find it offensive that Maestro is perfect and was underweight?
That's too much!
:)

jk

Amy

GeorgeK
07-16-2008, 11:31 AM

I had a friend who drove a diesel specifically for tailgaters. When they'd try to run up his tailpipe, he'd flip the gear to neutral and floor it. A huge black cloud would soon envelope the tailgater's vehicle.

Chameleon
07-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I find it offensive when certain people insist that they are listening to what I'm saying, when in fact they are clearly distracted. To show that they were "listening", they repeat the last sentence I said. That doesn't count. If you're not involved in the conversation, why waste my time. If I wanted to have a one-way conversation, I could just talk to the wall. It doesn't think, and it does not talk back. This annoys me to no end.

maestrowork
07-16-2008, 05:22 PM
I find it offensive when certain people insist that they are listening to what I'm saying, when in fact they are clearly distracted. To show that they were "listening", they repeat the last sentence I said. That doesn't count. If you're not involved in the conversation, why waste my time. If I wanted to have a one-way conversation, I could just talk to the wall. It doesn't think, and it does not talk back. This annoys me to no end.

Uh huh. Yeah. I hear you.... uh huh.

nerds
07-16-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm deeply offended by the fact that I'm not 25 years younger in which case I could chase sexayRay around, seeing as how I have zero race issues and feel strongly that he's datin' the wrong wimmin if they do. A purple pox on them.

Write4U2
07-17-2008, 08:14 PM

;)

You, too?

Cheers! http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u122/scooter2_photos/cheers.gif?t=1216311214

Write4U2
07-17-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm deeply offended by the fact that I'm not 25 years younger...

I think it's offensive that people who redicule older people don't realize that they'll get there in the blink of an eye. http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u122/scooter2_photos/th_woe.gif

(Speaking only from observation, you understand.)

Hobbes
07-17-2008, 08:26 PM
She Wulf's avatar. That's just wrong. Seriously.

Tink
07-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Flies...I find flies very offensive and annoying.

Tink
07-17-2008, 09:01 PM
And I have just discovered that left over dumplings from last nights supper is also offensive and just plain yuck. Dumplings are only good when freshly cooked.

She_wulf
07-17-2008, 10:04 PM

(takes a bow...)

Thank you! :D

Can I add scantily clad men with lots of body hair and long hair, but balding on top?

Oh, and artificial banana flavored candy.

Write4U2
07-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Flies...I find flies very offensive and annoying.

What's wrong with files? If we didn't have files to sort...we wouldn't...

Oh. Wait. You said flies.

Damn dyslexia! :rant:

(Just kiddin'!!!):roll:

Alan Yee
07-18-2008, 09:04 AM

Agreed. I'm gay, and that made me wince at first. Still funny, though.
[RANT]
Solicitors, door-to-door missionaries, telemarketers (you get the picture). I'm not saying you're necessarily horrible people because I don't know you, but it's a little unnerving when my family has to be interrupted for one of us to answer the door and/or phone, listen to a sentence or less before attempting to say "sorry we don't want any" or just hang up, and try not to be rude by actually slamming the door in your faces or yelling at you when you won't take a polite "no thanks/we're not interested" as an answer. This makes us waste a lot of our precious time when we sometimes get several solicitors in our neighborhood on the same day and dozens of phone calls every single day, a great deal of which are not from people we know or do not pertain to anyone in our family. I realize you have to scrape out a living some way or another and you have to eat too just like everyone else, but my family isn't going to be buying products/services from random people showing up at our doorstep or calling us on the phone because we do not know you or have any way of knowing if you really are who you say you are.
[/end RANT]

Inkdaub
07-18-2008, 09:53 AM
People wearing long pants and flip flops.

t0neg0d
07-18-2008, 01:35 PM
10.Employment discrimination.

When one becomes desperate enough, they won't discriminate against any employment. I see this as a self-fixing issue.

9.Erratic/aggressive driving that endangers others.

But, what if they are running for their lives? Sometimes it just takes seeing it from the 'other' guy's pov to put things into perspective.

8.Taking credit for someone else's work.

Hell, I'll take cash, check or credit for someone else's work.

7.Treating service providers as inferiors.

I couldn't agree more. But, I can't say I have ever met one that is in fear of Eeyore, or any of the other Winnie the Pooh characters for that matter.

6.Mocking race, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, or religion.

This doesn't really leave much in the way of jokes, now does it? So, it's okay to discriminate against comedians, but all of these other things are off limits?

5.Children who behave aggressively or who bully others.

Stop and think of what would happen if we did away with this sort of behavior. There would be no war. There would be no conflict. There would be no motivation.

We'll just look at wars, with horse-blinders on even. If there had been no wars, 2/3rds of Hollywood's movies would have never been made. Do you realize exactly how many people you have just put out of work?

Let me try and drive the point a little closer to home. No movies = no screenplays. You just put quite a few people here out of work.

I say, nurture this type of behavior! Evil, aggressive people = boosts in the economy, more jobs, lower gas prices and an all-around sense of patriotism.

4.Littering.

In the greater Seattle area, we have the Humane Society. 10 years ago or so, they started an awareness campaign for neutering that has all but stopped these animal from having babies.

3.Misusing handicapped privileges.

I have never thought of handicapped people as being privileged. But, I can assure you, I if I see one misusing these privileges, I will stop at nothing to ensure that they are never able to do this again.

2.Smoking in non-smoking places or smoking in front of non-smokers without asking.

What if they are on fire?

1.Using cell phones or text-messaging in mid-conversation or during an appointment or meeting.

What?

PattiTheWicked
07-19-2008, 10:27 PM
People who don't bother to wipe down the equipment at the gym after they've sweated all over it. And the chance that they'll do this is in direct proportion to just how sweaty they are.

GAHHHH.

Cassiopeia
07-20-2008, 01:11 AM
I abhor lies. I can't abide someone lying to me. There's just no point. The truth will serve one better because the truth will always out.

Lies destroy other's faith in someone and creates an environment of distrust.

Unique
07-20-2008, 04:47 PM
People whose lives are so shallow they can't mind their own business.

GET a Life! And stay out of mine.

SpookyWriter
07-20-2008, 08:19 PM
People whose lives are so shallow they can't mind their own business.

GET a Life! And stay out of mine.Yikes! I was only asking what you're having for dinner.

Chumplet
07-20-2008, 08:55 PM
1. Old men in hats (with apologies to all old men in hats) who drive slower in direct proportion to how late I am for work.

2. People who discuss in great detail rat infestations while eating in an expensive restaurant.

3. People who cough during the exact last word of a punchline so I can't hear it. I ask, "What did he say?" and they start the joke from the beginning.

Disa
07-20-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't get offended often but I do get offended when people spit in public. I don't know why it is just disgusting.

Other than that, what really gets me is when people make comments in a time of tremendous emotional turmoil that clearly indicate they have no idea what they are saying:

Examples:
*Immediately following the death of a close friend's 10 year old son, I went back to work and one of the women called me aside and said, "What's wrong you look so sad. You look like you've lost your best friend" DUHHhh. It wasn't as if she didn't know what had happened, we are a small office and everyone knew.

*People at work with more than one child going on and on about the cost of living, etc then they say to me(I only have one child) "Well you're lucky you just have one." I want to yell out "Yeah, I'm so lucky I had that miscarriage aren't I?"

Those types of things coming from people who were there when it happened just bug me. I mean, what does this say about society? Are we all that uncaring and unfeeling that we don't even pay attention when someone has really been through something? I mean, they know everything on the planet that happened in the lives of movie stars........

Cassiopeia
07-20-2008, 11:22 PM
I am deeply offended when people think that I should be over the loss of my mother (they will say, but you didn't even talk to her much and you didn't get along) and that I should have found another job by now.

Good grief, I wish people would pay attention to their own lives and leave me the heck alone.

Tiger
07-23-2008, 03:50 AM
I get offended when people claim superior knowledge of me and my motives for doing things. Makes my teeth curl.

Alexandra Little
07-23-2008, 04:39 AM
One of my professors offends me. Seriously. I have never tried to avoid a teacher like I am avoiding her.

Cassiopeia
07-23-2008, 05:10 AM
I get offended when people claim superior knowledge of me and my motives for doing things. Makes my teeth curl.
I must apologize for being so blatant in my conversations with you. ;)

JoeEkaitis
07-25-2008, 05:51 PM
The entire concept of "Banned and Challenged Books Week." Every "Banned and Challenged" book is in at least a thousand libraries in addition to libraries who don't share their collection data with OCLC. The only people who have the power to ban books with complete impunity are librarians who'll only consider books that have been pre-judged by the library review magazines, effectively an ad hoc library censorship board. No one wants to give up that kind of absolute power.

JoeEkaitis
07-27-2008, 07:25 PM
The term "road rage".

Let's just overlook the steady decline in courteous driving and blame the victim. When Blondie Bimboski's Ford Excursion nearly plows into the Honda carrying you and your family because Blondie's tapping away on her ThinkPad while chatting on her BlackBerry as she hurtles down the freeway at 87 miles an hour, you're an irresponsible jerk because you're angry about the whole thing. Omygawd, it was just a lane change and her exit was coming up! She didn't have time to signal, much less slow down! Cut the sister some slack!

The only way to prevent "road rage" is safer and more courteous driving, and in a nation that slaughters 40,000 men, women and children on its roads every year, all to preserve a lifestyle that's more precious than life itself, that just ain't gonna happen.

nicolen
07-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Passive-aggressiveness. Seriously, if I've done something to upset or offend you, let me know. I'm fairly thick-skinned and tend towards being quite blunt, so I'd rather know exactly what I've said or done rather than trying to work it out over the next few months.

Conversations about your sex life at work. I work in a call centre and the mic on my headset is very very sensitive. I am fed up with having to apologize to elderly clients for the conversations they're hearing about how you determined your sexuality. Save that sort of thing for the break room.

Myasandar
07-28-2008, 01:04 AM
1. Racists
2. Homophobics
3. Sexists
4. Bigots in general
5. Inconsiderate shits who have no respect for other people such as moronic teenagers who go into a peaceful park and put their sodding mobile radio thing on full blast. I would like to sit down and read but instead I have to listen to some dreadful rap. I don't inflict my own bad taste of music on others, I don't see why they have to.
6. People who are rude for no reason.
7. My aunty M.
8. People who get offended easily over trivial things.
9. People who encourage ignorance
10. The Sun

Alan Yee
07-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Classmates who think that just because they don't want to be there and are too damn lazy to do any school work, they can be extremely loud and obnoxious so that I can't concentrate on actually trying to do my work or hear what the teacher is saying because you won't shut your pieholes. (During the school year that ended last month, one or two of my teachers actually said, "you guys need to shut up" on more than one occasion.) I frankly don't give a shit if you choose not to do any of your work and screw up your own life out of sheer laziness, but don't make it harder than it already is for me to deal with things than most people, hence why I'm trying to get as much work done in class as possible. (I have a wonderful combination of Asperger's Syndrome--a mild form of autism--and mild ADHD, along with the various other problems that result from them and the equally wonderful side-effects that result from the medications I have to take for treating different symptoms. It's a myth that these medications only make you emotionless. Hah. In some situations, it's quite the contrary.)

Tiger
07-30-2008, 01:33 AM
I must apologize for being so blatant in my conversations with you. ;)

Oh, it's all about you, all right... :D

Tiger
07-30-2008, 01:38 AM
I guess I'm also annoyed by people who change personalities, likes, dislikes, and opinions depending upon present company... That, and too much perfume in the elevator.

Dawno
08-01-2008, 06:33 PM
This isn't really TIO material. Please read "Differences between TIO and OP"
(http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27607)

If you're blowing off steam about general life stuff, that goes in Office Party, too. Or if you're worried about a member, or there's something horrible in the news, etc. I know it may feel kind of funny posting serious things in "Office Party," but that is still the appropriate place for it.

Underline is mine - 'something [horrible] in the news' belongs on the Politics and Current Events board.

Thank you.

Moving to Office Party. Please fasten your seatbelts, and return your seatbacks and tray tables to their upright, locked positions.

She_wulf
08-01-2008, 07:15 PM
This isn't really TIO material. Please read "Differences between TIO and OP"
(http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27607)

Underline is mine - 'something [horrible] in the news' belongs on the Politics and Current Events board.

Thank you.

Moving to Office Party. Please fasten your seatbelts, and return your seatbacks and tray tables to their upright, locked positions.
There is a little demon on my shoulder that is going..."do it...it's good for a laugh or two..."

I warned you.

I find it offensive when mods swoop in and move threads around.;)

Just kidding....lol

Pagey's_Girl
08-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Dear Sales Reps - if I tell you the president of the company is not available. he's NOT AVAILABLE. Don't try to tell me he's an "old friend." Don't hang up and call back five minutes later thinking you'll get a different girl and she'll transfer you. There's only one of me, and yes, I recognize your voice. I'm not dumb. And when I ask what exactly this call is referring to, I'm trying to help you. I'm trying to figure out what you're selling so I can direct you to the person who might want to get him or her some o' that. Believe me, if you'd just say, "Hi, I'm so and so from Company X and we make this stuff. Who should I talk to regarding this stuff?" I'd happily transfer you. Really. But if you act evasive and play all kinds of little games with me, then, well, I'm not going to able to help you very much.

Okay, rant over. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. *sheepish grin*

Tink
08-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Today...maybe tomorrow will be less offensive.

E. Arroway
08-07-2008, 02:59 AM
People who talk on their cell phone in our waiting room. Believe it or not, the fact that I have a REAL phone on my desk means that I have to use it to talk to our other clients sometimes, and it really is hard to hear them if you're sitting five feet from me shouting into your stupid little hybrid phone/camera/datebook/nose picker.

This is just one example of my general answer, which is that what offends me is people being inconsiderate and/or having a sense of entitlement.

Inky
08-23-2008, 01:06 AM
I guess I'm also annoyed by people who change personalities, likes, dislikes, and opinions depending upon present company... That, and too much perfume in the elevator.
Gassy people in the elevator...especially after they've apparently eaten an egg sammich...

Robert Toy
08-23-2008, 01:31 AM
Gassy people in the elevator...especially after they've apparently eaten an egg sammich...
Hi Inky!!

Your comment reminds me of an old joke:

A rather upper class lady returning from grocery shopping entered an empty elevator and passed a rather foul smelling bit of gas. Reaching into her grocery bag, she pulled out a pine scented spray and sprayed it around the elevator.

Just as she returned the spray bottle back into the bag, the elevator stopped and a drunk stumbled on the elevator.

As the doors closed, the drunk leaning against the side started sniffing the air, rather loudly.

“Odd smell” the lady commented.

“Yup, smells like someone shit a Christmas tree”

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-23-2008, 01:35 AM
Dear Sales Reps - if I tell you the president of the company is not available. he's NOT AVAILABLE. Don't try to tell me he's an "old friend." Don't hang up and call back five minutes later thinking you'll get a different girl and she'll transfer you. There's only one of me, and yes, I recognize your voice. I'm not dumb. And when I ask what exactly this call is referring to, I'm trying to help you. I'm trying to figure out what you're selling so I can direct you to the person who might want to get him or her some o' that. Believe me, if you'd just say, "Hi, I'm so and so from Company X and we make this stuff. Who should I talk to regarding this stuff?" I'd happily transfer you. Really. But if you act evasive and play all kinds of little games with me, then, well, I'm not going to able to help you very much.

Okay, rant over. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. *sheepish grin*

And oh, by the way, if you treat me like I'm 'just the girl at the front desk', I can personally guarantee you that you will NOT get the Big Guy. And that's really for your protection, y'see? If I tell the Big Guy that you were rude to me, he'll make you wish your momma and daddy had decided not to have children.

JoeEkaitis
08-23-2008, 01:35 AM
The exclusively American notion that a "Support Our Troops" or "Find The Cure" or "United We Stand" ribbon on the trunk lid or rear bumper gives one the right to drive like a jerk.

DL Hegel
08-23-2008, 03:22 AM
:Soapbox:Whiney people--nothing is never enough--coveting thy neighbors junk--and going to church and saying how religious and good they are--i find it offensive and hypocritical.

soleary
08-23-2008, 03:25 AM
People who root for politicians like they're the hometown football team. Drives me nutso.

Ageless Stranger
08-23-2008, 04:08 AM
I find old people and children offensive. :e2chain:

rubarbb
08-23-2008, 04:16 AM
People who judge other people... rude people... tailgaters...

soleary
08-23-2008, 05:36 AM
TEXAS TAILGATERS! In Dallas, I swear they think they're cutting horses!

Gehanna
08-24-2008, 06:12 AM
Thoughtlessness and manipulation disguised as innocence in a facade of ignorance sickens me to no end.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Pagey's_Girl
08-25-2008, 04:52 AM
People who don't realize when something is none of their business, like the woman where I work who tried to intervene and talk my manager out of letting someone go (job-related issues) because "He's such a good, good kid. I really like that kid. He's a good, good kid." Unfortunately, good wasn't getting the job done. I have to work very hard at not letting her rub me the wrong way. She's kind of a busybody and she's very pushy sometimes. I think the means well, usually, but she can be awfully annoying.

Leellana
08-25-2008, 10:44 AM

I always want to do this, but instead I just slow down to a freakishly slow crawl just to piss them off.

soleary
08-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Let's take a moment for flight! Top Ten Things to Find Offending in Air Travel:

10) Bulkhead seat next to bathroom on a morning flight (whoa)
9) Pissed off flight attendant blaming passengers for his/her vocational choice
8) Passengers who don't listen to flight attendants
7) Passengers who believe they have a right to all personal space, not just their own
6) Passengers who haven't showered in the past ... well ... in the past
5) Passengers who fly their screaming babies with them, in the middle of the work week on an extended flight, in first class
4) Passengers who put their loved one's remains in the coat check next to me and ask me to keep an eye on it why they sit somewhere else even after I've offered my seat
3) Passengers who think their entire wardrobe should fit in the overhead compartment
2) Passengers who do not sit with their own children
1) Mean people at 33,000 feet. No one should be mean at 33,000 feet.