What kind of things do you find offensive?

Write4U2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
it-is-written4u.spaces.live.com
More than 600 workers and college students in the Baltimore area ranked bad behavior on a scale ranging from 1 (not offensive) to 5 (most offensive).

The 'Terrible 10' List

Based on those rankings, the "Terrible 10" behaviors are (from most to least offensive):

10.Employment discrimination.

9.Erratic/aggressive driving that endangers others.

8.Taking credit for someone else's work.

7.Treating service providers as inferiors.

6.Mocking race, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, or religion.

5.Children who behave aggressively or who bully others.

4.Littering.

3.Misusing handicapped privileges.

2.Smoking in non-smoking places or smoking in front of non-smokers without asking.

1.Using cell phones or text-messaging in mid-conversation or during an appointment or meeting.

Some actions, such as discrimination, may be illegal; but even more subtle behaviors, such as making a sexist joke or not asking before lighting a cigarette, still add to the stress of the daily grind and can actually lower productivity.

"The research suggests that people are bothered more by the transgressions of coworkers and strangers than by those of family and friends," says P.M. Forni, director of the Civility Initiative at Johns Hopkins.

What are your pet peeves? One of mine is being interrupted when I'm talking, or someone who hogs a conversation - actually, making it not a conversation, but a one-sided diatribe.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
People who cut in line.

When a new line is open, instead of moving everyone already in line first, they take the last two people -- WTF? What ever happens to first come first served?

Tailgaters. I wish I could just slam on the brakes or something.

Parents who spoil their kids rotten and let them do whatever in public places.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
roman numerals.

especially III

:D

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
overused and misused apostrophes.

up you're's.

:D

eta: that was for cray, not the OP ;)

"What do you find offensive?"

"Stew's post."

sorry.

Last edited:

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Siding with Criminals (or the person in the wrong) instead of the victim (person in the right).

God, I can't stand that.

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
People who are deliberately cruel to other people...no matter how they do it rather it be with words or with actions! :rant:

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
The phrase "We're pregnant" drives me nuts. Unless I'm wrong, only women get pregnant.

Tailgaters - prepare to get real friendly with my trunk

People who ride the shoulder as a lane because they are too important to sit in traffic like the rest of us.

Luxury car owners who think they own the road and the laws don't apply to them. Though, I wonder how they got that no-turn-signal option. My car came with the blinky arrows as standard equipment.

People who abuse children or animals - there's a special place in hell for them. Nice and toasty, too.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Child abusers

Misuse of the word 'retarded'

Tailgaters

Line-cutters

Nose pickers

dageezer

I've done nothing wrong....
Registered
Reaction score
People who spout that their rights are more important than other peoples rights.

People that think the world revolves around them. (little do they know it revolves around me)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
People who ride the shoulder as a lane because they are too important to sit in traffic like the rest of us.

Saw someone do that the other day--and out of nowhere a cop appeared and nailed them before they could merge. It made my day.

I find the entire "politically correct" movement highly offensive, at least the vast extremes we're subjected to the last few years. My one writing motto is to be as un-PC as possible, if only for my own sanity.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Rude behavior
Someone saying 's'cuse me, but not giving you a second to register they were speaking to you, so instead, they mow you down then dare to get pissed that you didn't move in time.

Tailgaters...the kind that speed up to your car, then fall back, then speed up...oh, how I love the look on their face when I slam on the brakes. Priceless.
For everything else, there's Mastercard

Racial slurs said with the excuse: well, they say it to each other, so why can't I? They say it about themselves...why can't I call 'em that too? Well...I call myself a fat ass, but if YOU call me a fat ass, I'm going to flatten you until you're nothing more than a manhole cover. Savvy?

That I'm not a mod *glowers at III, Haggis, RT, Stew, and Dawno. I KNOW it's a conspiracy.

Zipping past me, swerving into my lane...then slowing down. Byach! So I speed up to their bumper, then fall back..then speed up to their bumper..then fall back...it makes me feel better.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

Yeah... that just happened the other day. There was a big accident so everyone was in traffic, and then these cars just went zipping past on the shoulder like they ruled the land. I got so pissed so I blocked the shoulder, as did the SUV in front of me. Then this truck got really close to my car and tried to push me aside. Then he went down to the grass area and tried to pass both my car and the SUV. That guy had some nerve.

So I opened the Mountain Dew bottle full of piss and threw it into his open window.

(j/k, but that would have been fun)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*flees thread, gagging*

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
People who park their shopping cart diagonally across the aisle, then, holding onto the handle, reach to the OTHER side of the aisle to browse the seven hundred varieties of chocolate chip cookies, effectively blocking an entire aisle. And when you say 'Excuse me', they pull their cart two inches closer to them without looking to see that, yes, they are STILL blocking the entire aisle. I swear, one of these days, I will club someone to death with Double Fudge Chunk Chocolate Chip cookies...

People who try to ask the retail employee for assistance in the middle of their cell phone conversation. I pretend I think they're still talking on the phone... you want my help, hang up.

People who try to tell me that being a teacher is a cushy job. Look, I'd know if my job was cushy, okay? If they'd like to spend a day in my class, I'd be happy to disillusion anyone who thinks it's easy.

Smokers. Not because they smoke, but because they (or at least many of them) think their addiction entitles them to extra breaks, violate policy (ie, no leaving the building), and littering (have you ever noticed HOW many cigarette butts and packs are on the ground EVERYWHERE? Gah!)

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
These are not in any particular order..

Heavy perfume

Screaming kids and their parents just make it worse.

T Shirts that have obscene things on them where children can see them.

Spitting in public.

Drunks.

Pumpkin Smashers.

Line cutters.

People who pass you using the breakdown lane.

Dogs being tied up outside.

Parents who don't give a shit about their kids.

I know I have more... just can't think of them.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Clair?
I don't envy you a job involving children. Not one bit.
When my daycare facility would apologize that they were raising their rates, I'd whip out the checkbook and ask: 'how much?'

I didn't care what it cost. I had a kick-ass daycare center set up that my kids loved...and since I'm no fool...it takes a saint to handle that many kids...I'll pay whatever they want!

As for being a teacher?
I'M the one that would show up with a gun...or a guillotine...

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, God, Yes, spitting in public.
NO GENTLEMAN SPITS IN PUBLIC....blech....ubber gross...nasty...pig from hell....ick, ick, double ick!!!

Oh...and that sucking inward...all the crude from the nose...then hacking it out...with a loud 'whooosh' as gunk sails across...and splats....or they swallow....*faints*