Seen any great book trailers lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deannamari

Registered
Reaction score
The one from Seth Greenland for his SHINING CITY has gotten a lot of buzz. (You can find it here.)

Have you seen any others that you found particularly effective?

fdevji

Registered
Reaction score

Michael Murphy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelmurphy.me
There are groups on You Tube you can join to get others to view your book trailer. I posted links to various yahoo groups I belong to. I also linked the trailer to my My Space page and sent out a bulletin to my friends and also sent out individual messages to those My Space friends that have liked my other books. Basically, you market a book trailer like you do your book.

You need permission to use music or pics with copyrights.

deannamari

Registered
Reaction score
Nice job on the trailer, Michael.
I know they're a lot more difficult to make than they look.
Did you create it in Windows Movie Maker?

Here's another one I found that I thought was cute and would likely reel in readers. It's from Christie Craig for her novel DIVORCED, DESPERATE AND DELICIOUS. You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI0UG_hDxbk

Stuart Clark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stuartclark.net
Honestly, as someone who works in TV, I would recommend that you don't make your trailer any longer than 45 seconds - 60 seconds at the absolute most. Your trailer is a commercial for your book. You want it to be short, punchy and to the point - just like an advertisement you would see on TV. Anything longer than 60 secs and I'm not watching it. That may seem blunt - but it's honest.

deannamari

Registered
Reaction score
That's a really good point. What about having two -- one really short, like you say, and a longer one that you could post on your book/personal Web site for people who might like a little more?

As a TV person, what format do you think works best? The slideshow with typed words or a dramatization. I personally like the slideshow/typed words, but I've heard a lot of criticism (especially at GalleyCat) about the format...

Stuart Clark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stuartclark.net
Deanna,

I'd question having two trailers, simply because if you have one, short, punchy one that works - what's the sense in having a second? I can see where you're coming from - and why having a longer one on your site might give potential readers more information - but then if you've got them to your site already, then your first trailer has done it's job (or half its job - its real job is to generate a sale!)

With regards to format - it's hard to say what works best. I don't know whether a dramatization is any better than a pictorial slide show or vice versa. There are certainly excellent (and awful) examples of both. I think the bottom line is whatever route you take, make it look as professional as you can. By that I mean make it look as good as you can/afford. Take the time to invest some money in your trailer - download some high quality royalty free images from somewhere like istockphoto.com instead of ripping them off the internet. Think also about purchasing some royalty free music and getting some professional voice over (again, if you can afford it). The result will be well worth the cost.

The biggest problem with book trailers is that authors, by definition, aren't that au fait with editing programs -and so typically, you end up with trailers filled with all these fancy transitions (a change from picture to picture) because people think they look cool (the page wipe is a favorite - well, because it's a book trailer of course). Honestly, don't do it. It looks cheap and cheesy. The best thing you can do is a jump cut. Just cut from one thing to the next. Next time you watch a movie or show on TV, see how many transitions you see - if you see any, you'll probably only see a dissolve (a fade from one picture to another) - but other than that, I'll bet you can count them on one hand.

There's another reason for not using lots of transitions - it freaks your compression software out. Go find a book trailer and watch the picture when the images flip around or over - you'll see lots of digital break up/pixellation. That's because the compression used to get the file small enough to upload can't handle huge amounts of movement in the picture. Better just to use a straight cut.

Other things I wouldn't do...don't take small pictures and blow them up to fit the screen. Pictures are based on pixels. When you enlarge them, you shoot the resolution all to hell and they look awful, having the net result that your trailer will then look cheap and nasty again. Again, use large, high quality source images if you can.

Also, don't stretch your trailer out to match a piece of music. Either edit the music or fade it out. Don't fill. Like I said, after a minute, I'm getting bored.

Play around with your compression software. Change the settings and make sure you are getting the best looking file you can create.

Finally, ask around. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who plays around with a camcorder? If so, they probably dabble in video editing and Photoshop - and they can probably put together a much better video than you can - better still, they might even do it for free.

Hope that's been helpful. Sorry, I didn't mean for it to turn in to a lecture.

flashgordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bauuinstitute.com
I guess I got to this thread a little too late. I just finished my first trailer and from what people are saying it is way too long. I've had some good feedback, and several positive comments, but I'm guessing it is to long, to slow, and not flashy enough. But it was my first attempt, so lessons learned.

If you want to watch it, it is on my book page at: Native American Cultural Affiliation I Archaeology in the American West.

deannamari

Registered
Reaction score
I like your trailer & the music is great. If you wanted to tweak it to make it shorter, maybe you could remov the typing-out effect on the message pages. That might even bring it down to the recommended length above.

flashgordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bauuinstitute.com
Thanks for the feedback. I'd agree, it is too long and my next one will be within the "recommended" length of 45 seconds.

How have people capitalized on their book trailers to effectively drive sales?

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
I don't want to jump into a boiling pot, here, but I heard a few authors say that 1:30 is when they get their best response time. I would think that 45 seconds would end up being cryptic rather than snappy. I think Staurt had some great advice; I'm just wondering if that's a bit extreme?

-Feathers

Stuart Clark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stuartclark.net
I don't want to jump into a boiling pot, here, but I heard a few authors say that 1:30 is when they get their best response time. I would think that 45 seconds would end up being cryptic rather than snappy. I think Staurt had some great advice; I'm just wondering if that's a bit extreme?

-Feathers

Feathers,

You are totally entitled to your opinion - and I'm not offended by your post at all. 45 secs might be cutting it a bit fine - I think, if needs be, you could push it out to a minute - but unless you can't tell your story in 60 secs, I don't think you should be going much longer than a minute.

My own personal thoughts are these....
You need to get my attention right from the get go. If you do that, I might be willing to watch your trailer/ad through its entirity - despite me thinking that it might be over long. I've then got to like your trailer enough to then think about buying a book.

If I see that your trailer is 2 mins 30 secs my immediate thought is that you can't package your product concisely - and if I think that, my next thought is that your writing might not be that concise - wordy etc, and then I'm not interested.

That's harsh, I know - and certainly not fair. But if you're going to play in the world of internet instant gratification - you need to get your audience on side quickly and then keep them.

:)

Stuart

Michael Murphy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelmurphy.me
If you have a book trailer for your novel, there's an excellent website that posts book trailers called Watch the Book. Here's a link that includes information on how you can get your trailer posted. www.watchthebook.com. While you're there, you might want to check out my Ramblin' Man book trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.