PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Plan

Princepessa
07-10-2008, 07:59 PM
hummm, so I am writing my first book proposal (yeah!) and I am stuck on the marketing plan section of the proposal. I am writing a non-fiction book that ties some of my personal experiences into "lessons" on spiritual growth. I think it would mainly appeal to women on my faith (Catholic.) I know of some publishers who publish books by women geared to women in our religion--but I have no idea what my marketing plan would be. I am a stay at home mom and don't really have any conections or way of marketing. I do have my master's degree in theology--but that is about it.
Any advice would be great.
I hope everyone is doing well with their projects. Thanks!

scope
07-10-2008, 08:35 PM
You could start a website.
You could start a blog.
You could try to arrange speaking engagements with concerned organization and associations.
You could contact local and regional mags and newspapers re the possibility of writing an article.
You could try to get local or regional interviews from radio stations.
You could contact religious (Catholic) schools about the possibilti pf speaking to PTA groups, teachers, and others.

>>>And much more.

There's a lot you can do if you have the time, and in some cases, a bit of money. Go to the library and read the many books that deal with the marketing tips for would-be authors.

Princepessa
07-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks! Ok, I am a newbie--so please don't think I am dumb but, do I do all these things before proposing my book--or do I put them in the proposal as things I could do?
Thanks!

scope
07-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Being at the beginning, I'd suggest that you do as many of the items on your final list as possible. You have waited this long to complete all or part of your manuscript, so why not devote another couple of months to building up the all important marketing section of your proposal. You could then list the things you have done, and the other things you are in the midst of doing, and others you will do once your work is sold.

By the way, I forgot to mention that beyond our great AW you should join as many on line writers sites as possible (do a google and look them up). For example, mediabistro, Publishers Weekly, SCBWI and Institute of Children's Lit. (if kids), and Writer's Digest -- many more.
Also, if you have the time and money, attend as many conferences as you can.

soleary
07-11-2008, 01:56 AM
You might also look to other non-fiction authors in your field to see how they have marketed themselves. You could look to alternate avenues of exposure (e.g., not just book stores) and set up engagements at churches. Good luck.

June Casagrande
07-11-2008, 03:46 AM
Re "what?": What Scope said.

Re "when?": Publishers are not looking for books that, once they're published, will allow the writer to slowly build a readership and a platform. They want a book that will garner immediate demand the minute it hits the stores.

In the mindset of many in the publishing world, your book has three months to fly high or flop. That's it. Three months. (Catalogues come out quarterly and once your quarter's over, a lot of media won't even book you anymore.)

Every promise you make in your marketing section must have a good answer to the question: "Why aren't you doing that already?"

So write, "Will continue to build an audience through my already-popular public speaking engagements." Not, "Will pursue public speaking engagements."

Bookstore readings/signings, tour committments, and printing of promotional materials are examples of things that can remain in the future. But unless there's some reason you can't do it now, do it now.

Princepessa
07-11-2008, 04:53 AM
Wow! Thank you all so much for your imput. I am new to the site and find it so welcoming.
I never would have thought to put in the speaking engagments I am already doing because they are not about the fact that I have a book. However, I do talk about many of the things that will be in my book-so of course some of those people who have heard me would be a great target buyer. Nothing like having someone else point out what is right under my own nose.
Thanks again:)

kimmer
07-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Princepessa,

Your marketing plan should provide the reader (agent, publisher) with a glimpse of who will buy the book (do you know how many Catholic women there are in your target market?), how you will reach them, and how your book is different than your competition. As others have said it also includes your "platform" which means what have you done in the past to build your credibility and name recognition.

Get a basic book on marketing for authors as a starter. One of my faves is "Guerilla Marketing for Writers." While you can't commit to every recommendation in the book, it will give you a broad base from which to choose.

Good luck.

jenngreenleaf
07-15-2008, 12:01 AM
I found this book to be very helpful when it came to marketing plans: Publicize Your Book: An Insider's Guide to Getting Your Book the Attention It Deserves by Jacqueline Deval. I also found reading other non-fiction book proposals to be a huge help. There are a number of them listed on Adler & Robin's site, as well as many others.