Question for an Actuary

KansasWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

In a story of mine it would be very convenient if an actuary was dispatched to a restaurant that was applying for insurance. I don't care why he needs to go there, just that he needs to go there. Check the wiring? Safety standards? Something about the forms that the owner of the restaurant filled out? Anything.

Would an actuary do that? Or could he be an actuary/inspector?

Thanks!
KW

DeeCaudill

Nightmare Recycler
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I can put my former corporate mis-deeds to work... Once upon I time I was an actuarial analyst working in pensions. It's not a perfect match, but I studied the general mechanics of insurance companies.

It sounds like you're looking at some sort of underwriting/adjuster function. Actuaries traditionally set prices on products and make sure that the company has sufficient funds in reserve for the risks two which they are exposed. They don't interact directly with customers unless we're talking about large, corporate customers.

That's not to say it's impossible that an actuary would be poking around the restaurant. Maybe he/she is working on building a new model for restaurants and decides to go down to a customer's place to identify potential risk indicators that would aid in more exact pricing.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe on hearing what a great meal the inspector had, he decides to go there as a customer. Or maybe the inspector is his friend and says, I have to check out this restuarant, want to come along? Or maybe he just started his own very small insurance company and his inspector is out sick. Or better yet, he gets in an argument with an inspector about who has the harder job and they agree to swap for a day.

DeeCaudill

Nightmare Recycler
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody knows that actuaries survive on strip-club apple-tinis and the crushed dreams of salespeople. :e2drunk:

HammerKlavier's right, if you need an actuary in the restaurant and don't need to be based on some work premise there are all sorts of ways.

GordonK

Registered
Reaction score
I once worked in corporate HR dealing with pensions, and had some interactions with Actuaries. I can think of the following official duties for these guys to be at a restaurant:

a) Client is a big restaurant chain and the guys are going there to meet the chain's HR Director/managers (meeting+lunch).
b) After an annual/periodic meeting with the clients, they go to a lush restaurant for a business lunch.
c) Convention, convention, convention.

DeeCaudill

Nightmare Recycler
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if I ever bought you lunch in my former life?

It sounded like the OP was looking for an insurance actuary in particular based on the post, but it would be easier to get a pension actuary into a restaurant since they directly handle customers much more.