1982 License Plate Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how license plate numbers would have appeared on a NJ car in the early 80's? It is just 7 straight letters/numbers or were there specific combinations? (I'm writing a car crash scene that occurs in the 80's for my WIP)

Thanks for the help,

~Sara

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I only know that in the mid (and even late) 70s, they were six numbers, split in two groups. I'm trying to recollect ours. I think it was three letters, then a space, then three numbers (JDJ 522 comes to mind). Good idea to check with NJ Dept of Transporation, though. Also, it was some time around the early 80s (I think) that license plates chanced from ivory with black type to light blue with yellow type (much more becoming of the Garden State)

Hope this helps... a little...

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm pretty sure it should have 3 letters + 3 numbers before 1985 (3 letters, 2 numbers, 1 letter 1985-93 and 1998-date).

Colour is correct though.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Perfect. Thanks Three (and soloset & sarah). Um, Three. Did you design that plate yourself? :)

(what a good little mod you are!)

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
soloset said:
I think I always figured you had to turn them in or something when you were done with them, like driver's licenses.
In California you keep your old driver's license, or throw it away after dicing it to prevent identity theft, or do whatever you want.

I mention this in case you ever set a story in Calif. and it has an old driver's license in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.