the truth behind he revised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Hi guys,
Thanks for all your great advice yesterday.
Please let me know - after re-working my concept if I'm on the right track.

This is all one solid paragraph, which makes it difficult to read, especially with the punctuation and spelling mistakes.

Introducing people to characters before the characters start screaming at each other doesn't mean giving a solid paragraph of character description beforehand.

Please take more time reading about the craft and correcting mistakes before you rush yet another draft into the forum. If you don't spend time studying and writing and editing, there's no reason for anyone to spend time critting.

Also, this is the wrong forum - this should be in Show Your Work.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Nobody is suggesting you give up. QoS simply requested you put some thought and time and effort into the suggestions people have already been kind enough to take time to give you before asking for more time and consideration, that's all.

CheriVixen

Blushing Furiously
Registered
Reaction score
Don't give up. You have a story to tell and it means something to you. We're all here rooting for you and encourage you to do what you need to to make it the best it can be.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Ok I give up.

It takes a thick skin, a lot of perseverance and a commitment to improvement to keep a story going through critical feedback, form rejection letters, requests for revision from agents and requests for revision from editors.

If you would like to keep learning and trying and perfecting your work, that's your choice and I wish you the best. If you do not wish to do so, that is also your choice and I wish you the same.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
Why would you give up after a few helpful comments? If people didn't want you to write your best, then they wouldn't try and help you, would they. By you giving up, you have made the people who have tried to help you, work for you for no reason. That seems a little ungrateful to me. :Shrug:

We can't all write bloody good novels straight off, I know I can't; I edit and edit over and over again and I chop and change chapters until I don't think it could be any better. I don't ever see this as an excuse to give up though, I see it as a learning curve, which can only make me a better writer in the long run.

Elodie

BlackViolet13

Registered
Reaction score
I have found that being spontaneous or posting excerpts (and other things, for that matter) in the heat of the moment rarely work in the World of Writing. Or anywhere, now that I think of it. A very wise writing professor I had last semester said that you hold a huge amount of power in the moments before you click the SEND key...and that you need to carefully consider your next actions. So whether it be for a forum, an email (to friends, agents, or publishers), or on your phone, consider whether or not you are giving your 100% BEST for what you are about to share. It's always a good idea to sit back and give it a few hours, and in this case, it shows the rest of us who want to help that you have very carefully considered the advice that we have carefully given you.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Don't give up. And if you do give up, don't wallow in your sorrows, for goodness' sake! Channel your frustration into learning the craft, or something else that makes you happy.

Best wishes :)

ETA: Elodie said: "...I chop and change chapters until I don't think it could be any better." To borrow from Joan Rivers' fabulous performance in the Geico commerical, I will add that my WIP has seen more chops than a Bennie Hana ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.